Pulley / Tuner kits in stock $ 999

Anderson

GT Owner
May 8, 2021
San Diego & FL
I can attest that this upgrade, even on 91, passed the “feel” test with flying colors. Very worthy upgrade and relatively easy to install.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
So, why do you think so many owners have dumped the twin turbo? This is a rhetorical question not meant to start you newbs on soap boxes.

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
Depending on traction I would imagine to some degree. As to what that translates to in reality I don't know exactly.
Hi Torrie. I am actually in a shop where they are attempting to install your pulley. The mechanic has some questions about shims needed to do the install. Any idea what this is about?
Big favor... would you mind talking to him

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
There are no shims required. any questions can be directed to torrie@unleashedtuning.com

Reactions: CmdrDCM

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
I am sure that it does increase performance. But I think it is more important to know what performance gains are achieved than the horsepower and torque numbers (not that those aren't important too).
A dyno measures HP and TQ. Those are the definition of engine performance. There are more subjective measures, such as drivability and throttle response, but those aren’t generally labeled as “performance.”

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
A dyno measures HP and TQ. Those are the definition of engine performance. There are more subjective measures, such as drivability and throttle response, but those aren’t generally labeled as “performance.”

Pete - I know you know this. A dyno measures torque and RPM and then calculates HP.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Torrie. I am actually in a shop where they are attempting to install your pulley. The mechanic has some questions about shims needed to do the install. Any idea what this is about?
If that is really the question they are asking, you need to go somewhere else.

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
If that is really the question they are asking, you need to go somewhere else.
I think you are correct. I left without the work having been done and am now looking for another shop. Unfortunately, here in Duluth, MN, options are few.

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
Not terribly helpful. Performance can be measured in terms of h.p. and torque and it can be measured in terms of ... actual performance; you know, how fast the car goes, how fast it accelerates. So unless you have something useful to contribute re the real life performance issues I raised, as opposed to numbers you can brag about to your pals, maybe just don't post at all.

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
So, why do you think so many owners have dumped the twin turbo? This is a rhetorical question not meant to start you newbs on soap boxes.
Actually, as a newbie here I would be really interested to know why the twin turbo fell out of favor.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They
Actually, as a newbie here I would be really interested to know why the twin turbo fell out of favor.
They are great for straight line performance, but put some zig zag in your path and they became difficult to control. You could be cruising casually and hit 3K rpm and they kicked in and they surged ahead to light speed. Tuning was a problem. Not everyone is as good as Torrie or Heffner. A few guys did the 200 mph mile and then dumped them (pun intended). Several people blew their engines up. I never did it to my car and have 40k trouble free miles. I was hesitant on buying a new GT, but all these years later, the computer and nannies seem to have it under control

Reactions: CmdrDCM

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
They
They are great for straight line performance, but put some zig zag in your path and they became difficult to control. You could be cruising casually and hit 3K rpm and they kicked in and they surged ahead to light speed. Tuning was a problem. Not everyone is as good as Torrie or Heffner. A few guys did the 200 mph mile and then dumped them (pun intended). Several people blew their engines up. I never did it to my car and have 40k trouble free miles. I was hesitant on buying a new GT, but all these years later, the computer and nannies seem to have it under control
Interesting. Thanks.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
A few guys did the 200 mph mile and then dumped them (pun intended). Several people blew their engines up.

I thought the Turbos were supposed to be be less stressful for the engine? Maybe due to bad tuning?

Reactions: MarkH

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Pete - I know you know this. A dyno measures torque and RPM and then calculates HP.
Heh, heh, yes a fine point, but even that’s not completely correct. An engine dyno measures torque and RPM, so horsepower is derived from those. BUT, most chassis dynos measure RPM at the wheels, and the acceleration of a weighted cylinder, so that is a direct measure of power. Then torque is derived from those measurements.

Let me restate that: dynamometers measure either torque or power (and calculate the other parameter). Better?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I thought the Turbos were supposed to be be less stressful for the engine? Maybe due to bad tuning?
Turbos are definitely a lot more efficient. On a Ford GT you can keep the stock fuel system and run about 25 pounds of boost and you will be at right around 1000HP at the rear wheels. If you push boost much higher, the OEM fuel system cannot deliver and you risk running the engine lean and things tend to go pretty South pretty fast from there. On the same car/engine, you can run about 820-850 RWHP with a supercharger before the stock fuel system reaches its max limit. A simple way of thinking about this is that with the supercharger running the same amount of boost as the TT, the "engine" is producing the same amount of power.... but in the case of the SC, a lot of that power is expended in spinning the SC.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
On average its 600WHP w/ 91 Octane, 620WHP w/ 93 Octane. 640WHP w/ 100 Octane.
What are the torque numbers peaking at and what RPM with these tunes?
I take it "engine hp" would be about 15-20% higher?
Stu

MarkH

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 19, 2007
Katy, Texas
Twin Turbos done the correct way in my opinion cannot be beat. I think the issue a lot of folks had was they went with too large of a turbo and experienced massive turbo lag but like I say, if done correctly, a set of precision or garrett turbos can make a GT a lot of fun...

Reactions: 2112

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Full agree with Mark.... I've never heard of a TT customer "going back" because the TT was uncontrollable, etc. The key is a design and the correct turbos that get spooled up quickly so that boost is delivered as low in the RPM range as possible and then marry that wit a good tune and you get a very, very fast car that is enjoyable to drive. Keep in mind that with a TT, you also need to run the right fuel for the amount of boost that you are running. In the TT's that we put together, we had an in-car boost controller (replaced the boost gauge), but you can't just crank up the boost without also adding the right fuel. Most of the cars that we converted were in CA and we have very poor 91-octane fuel. As such, default boost levels were right around 15lbs.. almost the same as an OEM SC with a pulley/tune. The TT would give up a little performance below ~3200 rpm but after that, it is just smoking fast. In rough terms, you are taking that non-trivial HP to turn the SC and giving it back to the rear wheels. As owners of these cars, if you wanted to participate in a performance venue, you would add the requisite fuel (100+ octane) and then press a couple of buttons and crank in another 200HP. As long as you are diligent in using the right fuel with the right boost, the cars would be as reliable as their SC brethren.

Reactions: 2112

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
My Heffner TT car is perfect!
IMHO, giving up a little Tq down low, actually helps the situation.
We run 93 here, so, plus boost.
Best,
Mark

Reactions: 2112 and RPM217

CmdrDCM

Oct 1, 2022
Duluth MN
On average its 600WHP w/ 91 Octane, 620WHP w/ 93 Octane. 640WHP w/ 100 Octane.
Has anyone made estimates as to the engine horsepower of the various tunes? I mean anything more rigorous than the simple addition of 15% to the WHP numbers?