Should or Must do's for tracking GT.... + prep

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Here's a pic someone posted a few years ago.
Also a somewhat center point on each side.

Jeff

gtonside.jpggtonside.jpg

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Sorry for the double pic, can't see the edit option.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Screen Shot 2021-02-03 at 6.10.48 am.png
This also seems to be a option thats way easier to get to. You cant take of the panels on the sides to what's under there but thats the approx location listed in the manual.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Stock rotors should be OK, but Girodiscs are an better solution. I only did the fronts. Ohlins are a great upgrade (we have one of the 1st sets). I used 3-4 sets of stock rotors, I swapped them not liking the spider cracks around the holes. Girodiscs are only slotted, not drilled. Scott can help you with these, when you are buying the Ohlins.

Brake fluid is a MUST. Did I mention the importance of brake fluid? I used Castrol SRF, there are others that are less $ that will work (we use a Motul in our race cars)

Pads, I tried several, Padgid yellows were the only ones that were really suitable. These are also "streetable" (with a little squeak). Stock calipers. I am quite sure these will be just fine for you (other can attest, I have taken our GT to 9 10th's on track)

Cooling, I took the "is what it is" attitude. There were days that it was fine, others, it would heat up quickly. Do remember, 2 things will happen, 1st the red light will come on the temp gauge when you get ~240, then after that it will go into "limp" mode. The car will protect it self. I also found short shifting and moderate throttle down the straights helped (I like corners over straights). 6 10ths for a lap, also will bring things down to go at it again.

Seriously consider Hoosier R7's. Bridgestones are a good street tire. Hoosier is a good track tire.

I wrapped the whole car. But if you have not, you can consider the "blue tape" approach (looks terrible), or Xpel Trackwrap.

If you dont have harnesses to use a Hans, consider the Simpson hybrid, its a 3 point approved head restraint system.

Dont forget to "shake" the car down, and check the torque the axle and lug nuts.

Enjoy, the car is a lot of fun on the track.

what place can I get the Padgid Yellow pads for the GT.
Not sure what size the fronts are and if any of the Mustangs share same front/rear set uP... if yes then would be an easy buy online.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Will look into that for sure...

my insurance doesn’t cover the car on track days for 1c

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
How much water wetter is needed in the coolant
I’m sure the dealer put some anti freeze in there when I had it changed couple years ago.
Should it just be water and water wetter For track day, or just add a small bottle?
I live in central FL and garage never ever gets close to less then 50 so antifreeze isn’t needed

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
ALWAYS run the recommended antifreeze in a street car! The antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors and lubricates the water pump. Straight water will increase corrosion in the cooling system and your water pump won’t last as long. Both of those can get expen$ive.
Now, if it’s only a track car and you drain the water, etc. then do what you want.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
ALWAYS run the recommended antifreeze in a street car! The antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors and lubricates the water pump. Straight water will increase corrosion in the cooling system and your water pump won’t last as long. Both of those can get expen$ive.
Now, if it’s only a track car and you drain the water, etc. then do what you want.

I see the water wetter says the things you mention like pump protection and seals.

I'll get some at Walmart and read into adding it and how much to the existing liquids.

Id imagine the GT's radiators volume would be bigger then your usual car?

SA

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Pull the splitter and have a peak. Major obstacles in the way of ducting and no real exit if you unblock the inlets. Might be easier to put a NACA duct and ducting on the splitter to feed the brakes.
Trans cooler for sure! TRY and touch the trans after typical street driving.
Heat shield for starter wiring
Halon system
Harness
Remove radiator screen if yours has it
Take the license plate off

What size width and length for the starter wire heat shield you think?

SA

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
What size width and length for the starter wire heat shield you think?

SA
Summit has "starter wrap" and "wire/hose tubing wrap". That'd be easiest. If you made a tin shield that bolted on, better yet.
Use distilled water if you go that route.

MidnightBlueGT

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2019
Palos Verdes, CA
Is there an aftermarket heat exchanger available for these cars?
My 2007 GT500 came with a tiny heat exchanger from the factory - I bought a new, "triple pass" heat exchanger from VMP Performance that was at least three times the size of the OEM unit - both in width and height. I noticed a huge improvement in the car's ability to stay cool while on the track. Or, with regard to the GT, did Ford actually put the largest, most efficient heat exchanger in the 05/6 FGT right out of the box?

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I was watching the Vegas Rally from years ago and in the vid I noticed a car that was jacked in this area on the side......hmm
I might have to take the floor off and find this point and maybe others that would work if need be.Screen Shot 2021-02-16 at 6.49.22 AM.png

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I was watching the Vegas Rally from years ago and in the vid I noticed a car that was jacked in this area on the side......hmm
I might have to take the floor off and find this point and maybe others that would work if need be.View attachment 62403

It's just below the door and straight line from the belly pans. There is a structural bar that goes all the way across and is where the belly pan screws mount. It lifts both front and rear. Makes it really easy to get jack stands under it on the yellow supports.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
It's just below the door and straight line from the belly pans. There is a structural bar that goes all the way across and is where the belly pan screws mount. It lifts both front and rear. Makes it really easy to get jack stands under it on the yellow supports.

My circle isn't in the right place but found the location you mention, and yes thats a way better spot then the factory specified spots for ease of use.
I'm going to make up some jack pads fixed to the car

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Finally found some Pagid RS29 pads.
Not cheap, but good to goIMG_5674.JPGIMG_5673.JPG

Last edited:

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Bought 15' of wrap for the starter, clutch line area for less heat influence.
It ran from the end of the header to the start of the cat.
It looks loose, but isn't and boy was tricky getting in there with fat knuckles.... spend more then an hour doing it.

IMG_5675.JPGIMG_5677.JPGIMG_5676.JPG

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Not cheap, but good to goView attachment 62432View attachment 62431
I hope you bought more than one set.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
I use a simple thought process. If you want to save money tracking a car? Don't.

You must pay to play

Not cheap, but good to go

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
I found out that there actually not overly expensive by pad standards at all.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
Catching up, for driving 6-8/10’s, all you need is fresh tires. Stock brakes and cooling fine. If you drive somewhere really hot, like Texas in the summer, you may need water wetter to keep temps down. I was getting near limp mode until I put water wetter, then could run all day in 100* summer.

All the other stuff isn’t needed, Unless your trying to shave .5sec off your 10/10ths pace.