Should or Must do's for tracking GT.... + prep

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Pull the splitter and have a peak. Major obstacles in the way of ducting and no real exit if you unblock the inlets. Might be easier to put a NACA duct and ducting on the splitter to feed the brakes.
Trans cooler for sure! TRY and touch the trans after typical street driving.
Heat shield for starter wiring
Halon system
Harness
Remove radiator screen if yours has it
Take the license plate off

Think I need a note pad...

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
BUY TRACK INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will look into that for sure...

Reactions: sahlman

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Beware of some track insurances. They cap the payout which might not be enough to replace or repair a GT.

Reactions: Nafod and sahlman

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Stock brake system with good pads, and fluid, are fine with hoosiers. You do not need cooling ducts.

Stock clutch is fine. Kendall was reminding you to flush the clutch fluid when doing the brakes.

As for the Simpson head restraint, who cares whats required, I was suggesting it for your safety. A Hans, can not be used with OEM 3 point seat belts, the simpson can.

Last time I tracked the 05 was at the rally at miller giving rides. I used 4 tanks of fuel, and the Hoosiers and brakes were just fine for the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: sahlman

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Stock brake system with good pads, and fluid, are fine with hoosiers. You do not need cooling ducts.

Stock clutch is fine. Kendall was reminding you to flush the clutch fluid when doing the brakes.

As for the Simpson head restraint, who cares whats required, I was suggesting it for your safety. A Hans, can not be used with OEM 3 point seat belts, the simpson can.

Last time I tracked the 05 was at the rally at miller giving rides. I used 4 tanks of fuel, and the Hoosiers and brakes were just fine for the day.

Yes I need to look at good head restraint with OEM belts.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
What place sells the upgrade track pads for the GT.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Beware of some track insurances. They cap the payout which might not be enough to replace or repair a GT.

That might be an interesting conversation

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
The Torrie tune (vendor on this site and Florida based) can adjust fan parameters. Never had any issue with this tune in the Florida heat. BTW, In addition to the Torrie tune I am running accufab exhaust,throttle body, coolteck trans cooler and modified pulley. Good bolt-on combos.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Turning on the AC and Tunes will only bring on the fans earlier at something like 180. Fans by default, with factory Ford tune, will be full blast at something like 200. There is no tweaks to enhance this further

This is the only one that is 3 point approved.

Yes I need to look at good head restraint with OEM belts.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
The Torrie tune (vendor on this site and Florida based) can adjust fan parameters. Never had any issue with this tune in the Florida heat. BTW, In addition to the Torrie tune I am running accufab exhaust,throttle body, coolteck trans cooler and modified pulley. Good bolt-on combos.

I think all that's on my to do list... especially the pulley and tune someday

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
How about multi point harnesses being fitted... are there any good/easy options?

My 2000 M5 had a set up that was an easy bolt on using the rear and front seat anchor points.... easy in and out when not used

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
How much fluid does the clutch hold.... from a search days ago I thought about 1 liter?

SA

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Id be surprised if it was a liter, but no harm having too much.

If these are still available:

I did 2" "Hans style" belts, and per the recommendation of HMS motorsports / Scroth distributor, only 4 point. No sub belt, the thoughts were, that assuming your not willing to go through the seat, for proper installation (duh, no), then it does no good so skip it. There was also another negative reason, that I can not remember (probably been a decade).

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
How much fluid does the clutch hold.... from a search days ago I thought about 1 liter?

SA
Barely more than a cup. Too much is NOT good

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Id be surprised if it was a liter, but no harm having too much.

If these are still available:

I did 2" "Hans style" belts, and per the recommendation of HMS motorsports / Scroth distributor, only 4 point. No sub belt, the thoughts were, that assuming your not willing to go through the seat, for proper installation (duh, no), then it does no good so skip it. There was also another negative reason, that I can not remember (probably been a decade).

Its a toss up... The Simpson is about 1k and no fitting harnesses to car ...easyest option but only for one person..
Keeping both seats safe from what the FordParts team offers with the fire wall anchors and harness runs about $850+
Might do the harness set up as for better safety (especially if I have a passenger) and I dont have to buy another head restraint device (will use my HANS)

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Barely more than a cup. Too much is NOT good

I'll look in the manual and see if there's an amount it states....thanks.

HOOKED ON GT

GT Owner
Oct 26, 2006
Orlando & Australia
Hopefully ordering the Ahlman Performance V2 set up today......

Having an issue with check out ("Please complete this section") but it won't take my selected state of Florida.....so sent them an email.

Stu

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
some in car from VIR
chasing the MATECH CAR!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Great call, Scotts awesome, and has forgotten more that I will ever know about suspensions. You will greatly enjoy them especially on the street. Track is an added bonus.

Hopefully ordering the Ahlman Performance V2 set up today......

Having an issue with check out ("Please complete this section") but it won't take my selected state of Florida.....so sent them an email.

Stu

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
some in car from VIR
chasing the MATECH CAR!

Had to have been day 2, no rain.

Love that track!

Attachments

• with matech 1.jpg
    with matech 1.jpg