Cracked Windshield

LanceGT

Jul 23, 2019
My windshield cracked from one side to the other, overnight. It was not like that when I parked it.
Looking for advice and a place in So Cal to get it replaced. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions, Thanks Lance

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
multimatic will fly someone in i think to replace it. Call your dealer that sold it to you.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Call concierge.

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
My windshield cracked from one side to the other, overnight. It was not like that when I parked it.
Looking for advice and a place in So Cal to get it replaced. Let me know if any of you have any suggestions, Thanks Lance

Hello LanceGT,

I'am the Ford GT technician at Pat Milliken Ford, your best bet is to call your concierge and they can help you set up a time and place to have your windshield replaced. I personally try and keep in touch with most of the Ford GT technician in the U.S. and Canada so if you would like me to get in touch with some of the guys I know in your area for one reason or another after you have contacted your concierge I would be more then happy to do so.

Joe

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
Shops are not wanting to put clearplex on windshields because of cracking. I heard that a Ford dealers personal car had a crack in the windshield the day after it was applied.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Has anyone else had an issue with Cleaplex and windshield cracking??

spartan

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 11, 2017
Bloomfield Hills MI
I have had it on my 2020 for 11 months. Looks good so far with over 1,000 miles.

Reactions: Special K

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I'd like to see where it was cracked. The uppermost corners of the windshield float, so there's nothing behind them. If you apply pressure or lean on it, it's very possible to crack it.

Reactions: THamonGT

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
The one was told about cracked bottom center.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
That area is also an area where pressure could easily crack it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Clearplex on almost 2.5 years. 4 K miles. No problem. Have window tint people do it, not clear bra people.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Has anyone else had an issue with Cleaplex and windshield cracking??
There’s a car in Houston where the windshield cracked during clearplex installation. My windshield cracked during the passenger airbag cover recall work. This gorilla glass isn’t!

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
That area is also an area where pressure could easily crack it.

Are there any other specific areas that are vulnerable, so we can discuss with installers prior to installation?

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Have clearplex on both FGT and Mk II. The Mk II had some delamination of the windshield that MM expertly took care of. The delam occurred prior to any film. No problems since.

Reactions: DakotaGT

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
The film on the windshield has nothing to do with it. Call your dealer.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Clearplex does not cause cracking.

Ed

Reactions: MarkH

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is a concern about the windshield film (ClearPlex, etc) itself being an inherent problem with windshields cracking... its during the INSTALLATION of said film that can cause issues, if installers are pressing down too hard in vulnerable areas of the windshield. I would also imagine that if there was damage done from the installer, while putting on the windshield film, it would be immediately apparent. Any cracks that show up afterwards almost certainly have nothing to do with the film OR the installation of the film. Right?

italianjoe

Apr 9, 2018
Dearborn Heights Mi.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there is a concern about the windshield film (ClearPlex, etc) itself being an inherent problem with windshields cracking... its during the INSTALLATION of said film that can cause issues, if installers are pressing down too hard in vulnerable areas of the windshield. I would also imagine that if there was damage done from the installer, while putting on the windshield film, it would be immediately apparent. Any cracks that show up afterwards almost certainly have nothing to do with the film OR the installation of the film. Right?

You are correct......

Reactions: JWZ and GTMD

fordgt6

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 19, 2009
East Lake Weir, FL
I don’t think it’s the film but no one wants to admit it to the installation. I’m still trying th find someone to install the film. Does it come custom cut and ore shrunk for a NGT.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
You are correct......

Although I have no experience and would tend to agree, is there any possibility that applying too much focused heat to one area of the windshield during installation may cause enough unequal expansion and stress to crack the glass? I know it's a stretch but just wanted to ask.