After nearly 15 years in the making, I finally own a Ford GT

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
So it’s been a long time coming, almost 15 years, but I am happy to report that I’m an owner. Here’s an earlier post that describes part of the journey. https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/lowered-seat-base-for-tall-people.34247/post-482145

I started off targeting black, preferably black no stripe, but ended up with a white blue stripe. It’s a 2005 with sub-4000 miles, all original, one owner. It arrives in 9 hours, 6am Sunday morning. At some point, I’ll get picture posting privileges and I’ll post several. In the meantime, here’s my car: https://www.bjmotors.biz/2005-ford-gt-c-13521.htm

So I have several people to thank.

First, I want thank the dealer I bought the car from, Bernie Katz at BJ Motors. Bernie was exceptional. Terrific communication. Knowledgeable on the product and marketplace. Accommodating, patient, and eager to please. In short, the perfect seller. I liked him so much, that I am about to talk myself into sweet 2017 Viper ACR that he has... Check him out. He carries a nice selection of unique cars. I can see myself buying several more cars from him in the future.

Bernie Katz
BJ Motors
804-399-0477
bfkatz@bjmotors_DOT_biz
www.bjmotors.biz

Second, I want to thank the Houston, TX area technician who performed the PPI for me. Mark Darraugh, at Sphere Motorsports was tremendous. He took on the car with very little notice. He called me several times to give me updates. After he completed the assessment, he prepared a comprehensive electronic report complete with pictures and recommendations. Ultimately, he made me comfortable enough to wire money on the car sight unseen. He’s from outside of London and at one point, in his distinct British accent, he said “...that is a fookin’ clean car...”. If anyone ever needs a PPI for any exotic car around Houston (he recently did a Porsche CGT), Mark’s your guy.

Mark Darraugh
Sphere Motorsports
832-277-7062
mark@spheremotorsports_DOT_com
www.spheremotorsports.com

Third, my personal transporter, Rashad Whitehead. I first learned about Rashad through my Ferrari dealer, Ferrari of Atlanta. He does most of their clients. He’s transported my previous F12, and my current 812, many times. He’s super competent, trustworthy, dependable, and fast. I contacted him Tues. He picked up the car Sat at 9:00am. He’ll have the car to me Sun at 6:00am. That’s bad ass. Obviously, when you buy a car like this, you want it yesterday. That’s where Rashad excels. He’s the only guy I trust with my babies.

Rashad Whitehead
R&J Elite Transport
919-607-5463
rcwhitehead@gmail_DOT_com
IG @r.j_elitetransport

Fourth, forum member @Shark01 was instrumental in helping me move forward with my decision. Recently, he purchased a GT and shared his experience on a couple forums including this one. I reached out through PM with a couple questions. He was very generous in taking considerable time to help answer my questions. Later, in a fortuitous twist, he was able to confirm the condition/quality of the car I purchased because he had already spent time evaluating it for potential purchase. What’s more, he recommended that Mark perform the PPI, as Mark has recently completed his PPI (and he services his Lamborghini Diablo with Mark). His reassurances about Bernie, Bernie’s car, and Mark were the linchpin to my purchase. Super good guy, Shark01 is a car enthusiast who’s willing to do a solid for a guy he doesn’t know, all the way across the country.

Lastly, I want to highlight a positive experience I had with a dealer who’s car I didn’t buy. Chris Desneux, at Desneux Motorsports is an all-around great car guy. He had several fine offerings, and had I not struck the deal I did, I would have happily chosen one of his cars. Timely communications, deep knowledge of the marketplace, and unmistakable passion for Ford GT, Chris is a superior option for those looking for a GT. I am real close to buying a Demon he has. Great guy, you can’t go wrong with Chris.

Chris Desneux
Desneux Motorsports
816-365-6010
chris@desneuxmotorsports_DOT_com
www.desneuxmotorsports.com

Last edited:

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York
So it’s been a long time coming, almost 15 years, but I am happy to report that I’m an owner. Here’s an earlier post that describes part of the journey. https://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/threads/lowered-seat-base-for-tall-people.34247/post-482145

I started off targeting black, preferably black no stripe, but ended up with a white blue stripe. It’s a 2005 with sub-4000 miles, all original, one owner. It arrives in 9 hours, 6am Sunday morning. At some point, I’ll get picture posting privileges and I’ll post several. In the meantime, here’s my car: https://www.bjmotors.biz/2005-ford-gt-c-13521.htm
Congrats, and welcome--Please tell us a little more about yourself!

It sounds like you have a number of nice cars, but I think you will find that your GT never gets old! I bought a white with blue stripe, 4 option car with about the same mileage about 8 years ago and have loved it ever since!

Reactions: Cadster

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Like Kenneth said, congrats and welcome! You came to this group because of the GT, but with time you will realize the real treasure is the friends you make on here!! Try and get some sleep in the next 9 hours... 😂

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
congrats and welcome..

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Welcome and congratulations! Amazing how so many from different backgrounds come together around the GT. This group is beyond amazing as you have already started to experience.
(y)

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Congrats, and welcome--Please tell us a little more about yourself!

It sounds like you have a number of nice cars, but I think you will find that your GT never gets old! I bought a white with blue stripe, 4 option car with about the same mileage about 8 years ago and have loved it ever since!

I’m late 40’s and live in Charlotte, NC with my lovely bride of 22, almost 23, years and two kids. So I eat, sleep, and drink cars. Cars never leave my thoughts. My sensibility leans in the direction of “buy and hold” versus “in and out”. I look at the cars through the lens of: would the car make me happy for the next couple decades? My plan is to add a car or two every year for next couple decades. I set up a budget every month that I put aside for car acquisitions. So far, I have a 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante in Rosso Mars and a Ferrari 812 Superfast in Grigio Silverstone, both spec’d by me and purchased new. And now the 2005 Ford GT.

I like to drive two or three times a week on the empty, lonely, two lane country roads that are just outside of Charlotte. I don’t do Cars & Coffee or social media. I’m actually super private about the cars. Not even my closest friends know about them. I‘m not interested in my friends seeing me any differently than the guy they grew up with. Again, I’m a little weird. Cars are personal for me.

I have a rather lengthy and weird list of cars I am targeting, including: Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Dodge Viper ACR, Dodge Demon, McLaren 675LT, McLaren 765LT (tried to get an allocation, but without the existing relationship I wasn’t successful), Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS and GT2 RS, Corvette C7 ZR1, Corvette C8 Z06 (when available), and Ford Mustang GT500. I know...kind of a strange list.

I can’t wait to get some saddle time in the GT. I already have my Bridgestones ordered, they arrive Mon and Tues (fronts shipped faster). I am doing a full paint correction and entire car PPF (including Exoshield on the front windshield) plus ceramic coating starting on Thurs. That will take about an entire week. I have done that on all my cars. I drive them and having that protection gives me piece of mind. Plus, it’s far easier to keep the cars clean. Squirt and wipe post drive, versus full 3 bucket wash with the foam cannon.

I really enjoy the various car forums. Because I am not hung up on any one brand, I can move about freely. The collective knowledge always amazes and delights.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
congratulations!! It’s like no other !
As they said. in there advertising, Its the one!
It is truly an amazing car! It never gets old!

Tomcat

GT Owner
I’m late 40’s and live in Charlotte, NC
Welcome to the GT Club. You've got great taste in cars :). There are a couple of us in Lake Norman and 2 of us in Greensboro North Carolina. Reach out if you want a wingman.

Last edited:

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Enjoy. Mark is a nice guy.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Great write up and now you will find the best part of ownership will be the people you meet and the opportunities the GT forum will provide.

Totally agree with Rashad the best experience ever with the transport of my GT. He only moved mine across Atlanta to film and back but serviced me as if it was across country move.
Rashad Whitehead
R&J Elite Transport
919-607-5463
rcwhitehead@gmail_DOT_com
IG @r.j_elitetransport

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Quick update. The car arrived just as the sun was coming up. I wasted no time getting a quick 30 mile rip through the early morning countryside. Knowing the combination of 29 degree weather and 15 year old Goodyears don’t mix, I never went more than 1/3 throttle. There will be plenty of time to safely explore limitations, this morning was simply a “get to know you” exercise. We’ll advance the relationship further as time goes on. Here are my first thoughts:

1). The car itself was exactly as described...flawless. For all practical purposes, it looks showroom fresh. Even the drivers side seat bolster doesn’t give up its age. I truly cannot believe that it’s 15 years old. The casual observer who doesn’t know cars, would certainly assume it was purchased new yestereday.

2). It drives exactly how it did in my dreams. It tracks perfect. Feels raw and “race car-ish”, but effortlessly gobbles up bumps in the road at the same time. The engine has phenomenal grunt and sounds heavenly (although I might be doing some exhaust work to extract just a little “more” out of it). Of course, I love the old school bolt action tranny. I also love the analog nature, complete without driving nannies. Talk about end of an era. Perhaps most surprisingly, absolutely no squeaks or rattles. I can’t even believe it. My brand new 812 had peculiar noises from the very first drive. So did my Performante. I was able to get the latter to quiet down, and I’ll work on the former during its first service in May.

3). It’s a super tight fit. That probably understates the matter. Much tighter than I remembered from sitting in one while in Miami for the Super Bowl. I‘m going to need to investigate seat lowering. At 6’6” 255lbs, I am at the bleeding edge of the outer limits in terms of fitting in the car. Comfort is not even on the table. I wrenched my neck while leaning over to avoid being guillotined when shutting the door.

4). Driving the car feels oddly less conspicuous than either the Lamborghini or the Ferrari. Maybe it’s just me, but even though the car is priced similarly, it has a everyman quality to it.

In the next couple weeks, I’ll come back and provide more thorough driving impressions. One thing is for certain, I am rusty with a hand shaker, and never mind heel and toe....

Reactions: Ed Sims and Apollo

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
On a side note, how do I get picture posting privileges? I understand that ownership is prerequisite? Is that correct? What is the prones from this point forward?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Make sure the tires have a good build date! Nothing older than 4 years old. Safety first!!
If you need tires Bridgestone are the way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: blkdiablo33

Cadster

GT Owner
May 21, 2017
Make sure the tires have a good build date! Nothing older than 4 years old. Safety first!!
If you need tires Dunlop’s are the way to go.

So I have Bridgestone’s arriving Mon and Tues. I got them for $1538 shipped. Felt pretty good about that. I guess I will check the build dates when they arrive. Hopefully they will work. I hadn’t heard that Dunlop had a good option.

Reactions: roketman

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
On a side note, how do I get picture posting privileges? I understand that ownership is prerequisite? Is that correct? What is the prones from this point forward?

I had the same lack of ability to attach any pic or doc. Once the administrator knew I owned a GT, he added the ability to my standard membership. I did need to send him a private message requesting the privilege, I also included my car specs. When he added it, I only knew it by having the ability to attach a pic one day. Administrator is "DBK". He seems to have a lot happening, you may need to remind him if nothing happens.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Ron -- Dunlops ?? I thought Bridgestones were best option for 2005 and 2006 ?
andy (ajb)

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Everyone absolutely loves the GT, no one has a resentment, or what ever, that some show to the European exotics. I remember to this day, back in 2006 at the 1st rally. Had the car maybe 9 months and still figuring it all out. I got on the highway, next to a BIG group of Harley's. I gulped, and said to my self, uggg, how is this going to go down... To my surprise, was all SMILES, and thumbs up. I know then, this car was AOK.

On fitting, quite a few have lowered the seat with success, some have even raised. What might help, in the interim is sliding the seat a bit forward, and reclining the seat back.

3). It’s a super tight fit.

4). Driving the car feels oddly less conspicuous than either the Lamborghini or the Ferrari. Maybe it’s just me, but even though the car is priced similarly, it has a everyman quality to it.

Reactions: Apollo and Cadster

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So I have Bridgestone’s arriving Mon and Tues. I got them for $1538 shipped. Felt pretty good about that. I guess I will check the build dates when they arrive. Hopefully they will work. I hadn’t heard that Dunlop had a good option.
Yes I meant Bridgestones!
Sorry about the confusion

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Congrats on your GT...I was in Mark's shop Friday afternoon checking on my car....no, that's a lie, I just wanted to take the Diablo top-off somewhere on a sunny 70 degree day, and your car came up in discussion and he again remarked how clean it was.

MJSFRX

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 26, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Congrats. great car.