Ford Performance Racing School moving to Charlotte Motor Speedway

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA

I havent been to the speedway in a few years, but they didnt have much last time I was there. Hopefully they beefed up the road course since then.

I imagine this doesnt fare well for Utah Motorsports Campus. My recollection is that it recently changed owners.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
The Roval layout NASCAR runs at Charlotte can't hold a candle to Utah Motor sports 2 track layout IMO

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
What a bummer. I liked having UMC close to the west coast.

EDIT: Looks like they are just expanding and perhaps still keeping UMC?

KennethClay

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 15, 2012
New York

My recollection is that it recently changed owners.

Yes, bought by Geely, which also owns a controlling interest in Volvo and Lotus.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
So would you rather race at Watkins Glen, or Autocross in a parking lot.... Similar to comparing a Roval to Miller (or what ever its called now)

Too bad (if its a replacement, vs an additional location)

Reactions: Copenhagen GT

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Regardless or replacement vs expansion according to the article "Ford Performance Racing School is moving all pavement and track-based programs to Ford Performance Racing School East at Charlotte Motor Speedway in Concord, North Carolina."

So unfortunately it sounds like the UMC paved track isnt an option anymore. As Gary said, it is a much nicer venue than being confined inside a roval. UMC is a 4.4. mile circuit vs 2.4 miles for CMS.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Damn. That sucks.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
We never even had the chance to vote!

Ed

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
I am taking one of the last Ford Performance track classes this September. When I visited UMC a few weeks ago, I was told by others there, the mustangs were moving to Charlotte, the raptors were moving down the road to the old army depot, and other cars (ST) would move up to Soldier Hollow near Park City, UT. So it appears it’s all getting split up. I too will miss it at UMC as it is very convenient for me.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Just guessing but taking operating cost and altitude out of the equation. Not sure if you pick up more months of operation in NC or not. NC has been getting some tough winters of late.

Reactions: Special K

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
May be a dumb question, but back in the early days of the new GT programme there was talk about a Ford Performance school for GT owners. I’d be all over that but I haven’t heard anything recently. Anyone got info?

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
May be a dumb question, but back in the early days of the new GT programme there was talk about a Ford Performance school for GT owners. I’d be all over that but I haven’t heard anything recently. Anyone got info?
I asked them a few months back when I booked about a GT owner’s program. They kind chuckled and said they had not heard of anything... I’ll ask again in a few weeks when I’m up there.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I had always hoped that would be our homebase for rallies
That is one of my all-time favorite tracks

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Was at UMC for 2 day FPRS a few months back. Convenient for me as well. Biggest issue is the short season. Snow leaves in May and reappears in late Sept / Oct. Miller sold it to the County who had no business running a race track.
The Ford PRS is top notch for those who want to learn and satisfy a need for speed. On selected weekends when SCCA competition occurs a racing license is also on the menu. You just have to book the Boss for the additional race days.
I'm gonna miss that track.
Below: IMG_20180607_121438862.jpgThis little fella lives there...................

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Looks like they're selling some of the cars. $45k for a car beaten to hell at a race school sounds a bit pricey. I'd think $35k would be more like it.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Looks like they're selling some of the cars. $45k for a car beaten to hell at a race school sounds a bit pricey. I'd think $35k would be more like it.

I saw that. I’ll be at the school next week and plan on kicking some tires.