So For Those Who Have Bought GTs Recently

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
I would like to know (particularly on the low end of the market) how are you finding the condition of the cars as they approach 15 years old. Are the 15k+ mile cars in good shape generally and well serviced? I'm sure a PPI is needed for any car in the low end, wonder how easy it is to find a qualified mechanic.

Thanks

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I think you will find that even what people call "high mileage" cars have been pampered.

Reactions: maxemus

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
Yes, qualified mechanics can be found by posting asking for other owners to see who they use.

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I think you will find that even what people call "high mileage" cars have been pampered.
Sometimes it's hard to tell a GT has higher mileage or not been pampered because these cars wear so well and are seriously hard to break. An unusual supercar trait. So, an expert PPI is a must. A forum search will find qualified people.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Buy the seller, so to speak.

Barring any accidents, the cars hold up real well, IF and ONLY IF they have been properly maintained and cared for. Better than most!

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Good to hear, as one of my other choices (a newer model even) seems to have alot of neglected cars.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Shark 01, if your looking at a GT locally let local GT owners know as we all know the GT’s in the Houston and surround areas!

Reactions: maxemus

Shark01

GT Owner
Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Shark 01, if your looking at a GT locally let local GT owners know as we all know the GT’s in the Houston and surround areas!

Thanks Mr Hamon......although there is one for sale in Houston in the lower range, I'm not sure I have all the knowledge I need yet. For example, who would do a PPI here in town?

jyork965

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2018
I'd like to learn of an independent or Ford tech in the Nashville, TN area who knows these cars. There's a few 2005-06 GT's in this area but I've been unsuccessful in finding someone knowledgeable. Looking for someone to do fluid changes and half shaft bolts, nothing major. GTinTN, check your pm's.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I was delighted to hear that my 105k mile car ran like other owners 10k cars. These cars are, or can be, rock solid. I’ve done recommended maintenance. Am hoping to see similar solid car with the new one.

Reactions: GKW05GT

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I think 05-06 GTs and Dodge Vipers are the best and maybe a dying breed of low maintenance sports cars . I’ve had multiple of each, and they have been virtually bullet proof.

Reactions: nautoncall

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Mine has 52K on it and people don’t think it has over5k

Attachments

• F3604F1B-EE3D-4B28-B619-D3AC9007D706.jpeg
    F3604F1B-EE3D-4B28-B619-D3AC9007D706.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 9E35587A-8819-4C34-A8EA-84E4D4BC7579.jpeg
    9E35587A-8819-4C34-A8EA-84E4D4BC7579.jpeg
    828.7 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: SuperNova

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014
I think 05-06 GTs and Dodge Vipers are the best and maybe a dying breed of low maintenance sports cars . I’ve had multiple of each, and they have been virtually bullet proof.
I second the above. 62K and going strong. With a proper PPI don't be afraid of mileage.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I resemble everyone else's experience here

this past saturday ford sent out a tech to my place to do the air bag recall and as he was working on the car he asked me if i had about 400 miles on it.. I smiled and asked him to turn the key and see for himself,, his jaw just about hit the ground when he realized the car has 65k miles on it.

he told me he recently did another car not too far from me that had less than 10 miles on it. i told him what a waste.

FerrariSlayer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 3, 2014
Spring, TX
he recently did another car not too far from me that had less than 10 miles on it. i told him what a waste.

10 miles.....agreed....what a waste. These cars are meant to be driven - don't "save them" for the next guy. Enjoy what they have to offer.......and make sure you have a X-Pipe on her along with a pulley/tune!

Reactions: 93extxdps

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I resemble everyone else's experience here

this past saturday ford sent out a tech to my place to do the air bag recall and as he was working on the car he asked me if i had about 400 miles on it.. I smiled and asked him to turn the key and see for himself,, his jaw just about hit the ground when he realized the car has 65k miles on it.

he told me he recently did another car not too far from me that had less than 10 miles on it. i told him what a waste.
But how many of those miles did you put on that car?

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
But how many of those miles did you put on that car?
when I bought the blue car she already had some miles on it, i would say between the black car and the blue car I have put over 40K miles on them but, my 40K miles are much harder and faster :)

Reactions: roketman

VetteFish

Sep 27, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
From what I found on my search, with patience, the price point between a 6-8k mile car and a 15k mile car wasn't extremely far off. Everyone advised to pay a little more for a clean, low mile car and drive the heck out of it. This way you can already build in a lot of miles without much of any depreciation hit. I ended up finding a 6k mile car which I've put 1000 miles on in the last month. Can't go wrong either way, just get a trusted PPI and enjoy.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Nice buddy!
Try and catch me!

Attachments

• 22F91052-34FE-476F-ADBB-F357AB030AB3.jpeg
    22F91052-34FE-476F-ADBB-F357AB030AB3.jpeg
    768.3 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: soroush

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
I agree with the comments above. Having both a Viper and GT, they are both dependable cars that "go like hell"! Even the shift speeds are very comparable. I bought mine about 6 months ago and have been enjoying taking it to car shows and just driving it. Regarding cost to maintain, I have not had anything major break or need servicing yet. When I bought the car, I did have a PPI and that helped convince me this car was well maintained prior to my purchase. I did request the auto window switches be replaced as I noticed during the test drive that I had to press the driver side a couple times before the window moved. When the prior owner called regarding the price of the switches he was told they would be "thirteen o seven each". Knowing parts for rare cars can be expensive he asked for clarification on the price and was relieved that it was $13.07 each and not $1,307! Many of the parts are Mastercraft so they are reasonable. Good luck with your purchase!

Reactions: BAT