soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the ends on the second ones I posted screw off you might be able to get a little needed extra length by adding an adaptor or an extended end to them.. this will increase the overall length and maybe even give you a little extra travel. the ball studs on the car can easy be replaced for proper fit also

Reactions: THamonGT

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this one is almost right on the money

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
however unless you guys want your struts to say ford on them there are manufacturers that sell almost any length strut so finding an aftermarket solution shouldnt be impossible.

just have to measure collapsed and fully extended lengths to order one.

Disagree. It's not just the length, it's also the strength, etc. of the strut as Xcentric chided you in his posts of how impossible it is to find a non-OEM match. I'd be interested to see if you can find a match, order it, and most important, test it on your car before you recommend it to other members. I've brought several home that were supposed to fit and didn't and had to return them. Ended up ordering the OEM struts, problem solved.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Thanks, but extended length is too short (lid won't open all the way), compressed length is too long (crack hood/break something on closing), wrong ends (which are not easy to swap, because rod diameter and threads are different - coarse/fine), and the gas tube is too fat (tube diameter is critical, there is no room for a fatter than OEM tube). Other than that, the 45 lbs is correct.

Someone didn't believe me when I said I scoured the entire Suspa catalog. :rolleyes:

But, if anyone makes these work, please post. :)

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I offered some additional solutions to what appears to be a lack of supply for the OEM struts, if you guys have an overt desire and need to replace the strut with exactly what comes on the car why dont you just rebuild the old unit?

it took me all of 1 min to find these people online

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this one has the exact compressed length and the fully extended length is off by .2 inches cant imagine that would be much of a difference

I couldnt tell what they are rated for and or the tube diameter but if you want to replace with something aftermarket you have to make some concessions.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this one is almost right on the money

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
this one has the exact compressed length and the fully extended length is off by .2 inches cant imagine that would be much of a difference

I couldnt tell what they are rated for and or the tube diameter but if you want to replace with something aftermarket you have to make some concessions.

I believe you did some computer searching Soroush, thank you for your efforts, but until you have ordered a set and tested them on your vehicle, I'm very skeptical and agree with Xcentric.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
this will be a better option for you guys

my car doesnt need struts at the moment and I already have an extra pair set aside for when I do, however if I was in bind I would do what I have suggested here either find a new set that I can modify or just get the old ones rebuilt.

Reactions: Kingman and 2112

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL

my car doesnt need struts at the moment and I already have an extra pair set aside for when I do, however if I was in bind I would do what I have suggested here either find a new set that I can modify or just get the old ones rebuilt.

I don't really see the need to rush out and buy something that doesn't work. You can always prop up the hatches until the struts become available again. Use the rubber hoses or a car hood prop rod like this. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...T2/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276299877704&psc=1 No big deal.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I don't really see the need to rush out and buy something that doesn't work. You can always prop up the hatches until the struts become available again. Use the rubber hoses or a car hood prop rod like this. https://www.amazon.com/Performance-...T2/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid={creative}&hvpos={adposition}&hvnetw=o&hvrand={random}&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276299877704&psc=1 No big deal.
LOL

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Thanks for the link!

Reactions: soroush

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Maaaaaaan.......that’s the LAST THING I would use to prop up the clamshell!!

Chances of damaging the clamshell would be pretty close to 100%.

Reactions: soroush

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA

Fantastic find!! Thank you very much for sharing!!

Reactions: ClarkW and soroush

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Maaaaaaan.......that’s the LAST THING I would use to prop up the clamshell!!

Chances of damaging the clamshell would be pretty close to 100%.

Nope. Used the hood prop many times. Very safe.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
So, what’s the verdict? Did anybody find clamshell struts?

Rickmustang

Feb 19, 2019
Austin, Texas
Dearborn Performance GT Parts