Muffler Failure

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Im sure there will be an updated one. Ford Quality Control will be on it. Are the mufflers the same on Titanium versus standard?

Different. I believe the muffler is the only difference with the titanium (Akrapovic) “exhaust” option and that both systems use the same components back to the manifolds. I handled both mufflers while at Multimatic. The optional titanium muffler is smaller, lighter, a different color and branded with the Akrapovic logo.

Reactions: 68Rcodeman

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
do what I did...go with straight pipes lol

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Does the titanium muffler run cooler than the stock one?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Does the titanium muffler run cooler than the stock one?

Ti is very stable at temperature. It does not expand much but it does not dissipate heat much.
Titanium has a low coefficient of linear expansion which is equal to 5.0x10^6 inch per inch/°F, whereas that of stainless steel is 7.8x10^6

Reactions: JWZ

Apollo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 5, 2006
Pahrump, NV
Ti is very stable at temperature. It does not expand much but it does not dissipate heat much.
Titanium has a low coefficient of linear expansion which is equal to 5.0x10^6 inch per inch/°F, whereas that of stainless steel is 7.8x10^6

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
So in layman's terms...

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Titanium when heated doesn't expand as much as SS. So its shape and size doesn't change very much. About 30% less.

Ti would make a terrible heat sink as it doesn't transfer much heat. But it will carry it out the tail pipes and not lose as much heat. And thus it doesn't shrink and expand ery much.

Maybe why many of the PPF guys stay clear of the Ti system tail pipes.

Key Titanium is a pure metal.
Stainless is a alloy mix mostly Iron and lots of Chrome & traces of other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: JWZ

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Anyone know if there is a performance gain with this pipe? I can’t tell from the video if there is any difference in the quality of the exhaust note.

I'm curious to know this as well. Looks gorgeous. Also states that it only weighs 5 lbs. What does the stock (non-Ti) cat back weigh in at?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You're not going to gain any power by swapping the cat back. It's a lot louder and weighs less. The factory Ti is actually quieter than the standard muffler.

GTMD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
NorCal
Gotcha. Thanks Dave!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan