Looking for Thermostat Housing

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Maybe someone here can help me out. I'm looking for a thermostat housing assembly (see pic). New preferred but will take used if in good condition. Let me know. Thanks.

WaterPumpHousing.JPG

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
Housing

Trade you for some of the gauge work I'm getting ready to send you.

Attachments

• 20190207_233235.jpg
    20190207_233235.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20190207_233242.jpg
    20190207_233242.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 123

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Deal!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Holy cow! What happened to the original? It looks like the radiator was filled with acid.

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI

Cool. I'll send it out today with the gauges. Thanks

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
As it looks like your problem is solved, therefore I don't feel bad derailing this thread, so Kendall @nota4re, can you elaborate on "gauge work"? I know you have mentioned this in the past, but never really saw anything. Don't see anything on your site either PM if better

Trade you for some of the gauge work.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Is there a part # for the entire assembly?

Top half looks to be 4C7V-9K457-AA, the bottom appears to be 4C7V-9K456-AL

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
As it looks like your problem is solved, therefore I don't feel bad derailing this thread, so Kendall @nota4re, can you elaborate on "gauge work"? I know you have mentioned this in the past, but never really saw anything. Don't see anything on your site either PM if better

Sure. We've contracted with a local company who has the ability to "repair" the GT Speedo and Tach. As everyone here should know, all of the smaller gauges with re-designed innards (servo core versus air core) are available through AutoMeter at a very reasonable price. However, Ford/Autometer never came to an agreement to re-manufacture the speedo or tach. As such, purchasing a new speedo or tach from Ford is possible at a cost of about $1000 (ea), but they have the same internal design as the original gauges and therefore the same susceptibility to failure.

So, we have been working to replace the innards (I think that's a Southern term) for both the Tach and Speedo. Now for some candid facts...

We have done ~20 speedos and tachs in the past 6 months or so. When they work, they work - and we have had NO failures. (Keep in mind, this is hardly statistically significant with such a small sample - but the air cores are being replaced with servo cores so we are fully expecting this to be a permanent fix.) BUT, we've had a couple - literally 2, repaired gauges be dead on arrival. We've taken both of these back, re-replaced the innards and they have worked... with no additional cost - save the big pain in the ass to install/remove the gauge twice.... which is simply unacceptable. As such, we now have inserted a new step in the process. The company that does the innards replacement for us can & does perform rudimentary testing to make sure the gauge sweeps, etc. But, they do not have the expensive equipment to replicate the signal from the GT Gauge Control Module. Our added step is that newly repaired gauges will be shipped to a company that DOES have the right test equipment and each repaired gauge will be tested with a GT signal to insure it is good before being returned to the customer.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Sure. We've contracted with a local company who has the ability to "repair" the GT Speedo and Tach. As everyone here should know, all of the smaller gauges with re-designed innards (servo core versus air core) are available through AutoMeter at a very reasonable price. However, Ford/Autometer never came to an agreement to re-manufacture the speedo or tach. As such, purchasing a new speedo or tach from Ford is possible at a cost of about $1000 (ea), but they have the same internal design as the original gauges and therefore the same susceptibility to failure.

So, we have been working to replace the innards (I think that's a Southern term) for both the Tach and Speedo. Now for some candid facts...

We have done ~20 speedos and tachs in the past 6 months or so. When they work, they work - and we have had NO failures. (Keep in mind, this is hardly statistically significant with such a small sample - but the air cores are being replaced with servo cores so we are fully expecting this to be a permanent fix.) BUT, we've had a couple - literally 2, repaired gauges be dead on arrival. We've taken both of these back, re-replaced the innards and they have worked... with no additional cost - save the big pain in the ass to install/remove the gauge twice.... which is simply unacceptable. As such, we now have inserted a new step in the process. The company that does the innards replacement for us can & does perform rudimentary testing to make sure the gauge sweeps, etc. But, they do not have the expensive equipment to replicate the signal from the GT Gauge Control Module. Our added step is that newly repaired gauges will be shipped to a company that DOES have the right test equipment and each repaired gauge will be tested with a GT signal to insure it is good before being returned to the customer.

Wow, that is really good news. So this is now a service you are offering? For a while it was experimental. If so might I suggest a new topic which would be pinned that clearly points people to the Autometer source for the small gauges and your contact info for the larger gauges.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Thats cool, when you are ready, you NEED to post this, I have a feeling feedback would be strong. Man it has been so long, I dont even remember which of mine failed (tach may have, as I remember doing NOLA rally wo a tach, I think). I would send mine, to have working ones, should I want to swap back from the Speedhuts.

Post up when you have everything dialed in!!

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Holy cow! What happened to the original? It looks like the radiator was filled with acid.

The housing looks better than the water pump....

WaterPump.jpg

You guys are changing your coolant diligently, right?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That's from Ed Sims' old car isn't it? I knew there was something wrong.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
What took place? Drained the coolant and filled with tap water?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What took place? Drained the coolant and filled with tap water?

And just think what water like that does to your innards. I'm going back to beer. :)

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
LOL. I really don't know the history but I suspect that it involves the car sitting around for a long time - perhaps disassembled. The car is not in this Country and I've only been trying to help the owner acquire the parts to get it back together.

partssmann

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 1, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
I have referred a few GT owners to Kendall for gauge repair and they have all been very satisfied with the work.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Kendall, you’re da man!

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
So.....we can run beer in our GTs?