Tire pressures for track

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Tried searching for specs. I’m planning on going to the track for some fun this weekend. Can’t remember if any rough numbers have been posted for starting tire pressure settings in the NFGT. I remember (maybe) some recs from Raj. Stormie said 35 psi hot gets greasy. Thanks in advance!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
32 psi hot...per Raj, in Nick's track thread.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Where you going?

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
This is a moving target (lol) as a lot depends on track temp and the track itself. I have been told with cold tires (always start with cold tires) add 10% of the recommended tire pressure. But I also have been told follow the recommended tire pressure on the sticker on the door but put it at the max pressure.
Ultiimateley bring a reliable tire guage to the track and measure the pressures as soon as you can once off the track an in a safe place. Most tell me hot 36 max is the number for both my GT and 458. But a lot will depend on how you feel the car is handling. I know for Daytona int'l speed way the recommendation is a 2 lbs higher for the right rear as it take a lot of stress due to the banking.
Have fun, be safe and MOST importantly park the testosterone at the door.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Where you going?

My home track MSR-Cresson. 12 miles from my doorstep. I'll try to post up some Harry's Laptimer video later on :)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
31 to 33 is ok. The Michelin guys who developed the tire said they get greasy over 35 psi hot which I can attest to..

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
What are the torque specs on the CF wheels?

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Both types of wheels call for 150 ft lbs of torque

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
wow 150!
My center lock on my Porsche cup are 240!
Bit thats the highest I have ever heard for non CL

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX

Not sure about CF, but manual says 150 lb-ft for the standard wheels.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Not sure about CF, but manual says 150 lb-ft for the standard wheels.

Its 150 ftlbs for the CF GT350R wheels .....

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
31 to 33 is ok. The Michelin guys who developed the tire said they get greasy over 35 psi hot which I can attest to..

I can also attest to that. But they are entertaining when they slip slide around.

I think I started them around 27-28 psi and just worked from there. It was immediately noticeable once they got out of optimal operating range.

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
While not an expert as many here, doing a little research here and following several peoples lead...

1lb ber 1000 pound of car has been a general rule of thumb.

I have applied to my Cobra and GT and have worked back to a commfortable performance... that being said... at 3400 lbs 34 psi and working backwards. would put you in that sweet spot of 31-33 psi...

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
While not an expert as many here, doing a little research here and following several peoples lead...

1lb ber 1000 pound of car has been a general rule of thumb.

I have applied to my Cobra and GT and have worked back to a commfortable performance... that being said... at 3400 lbs 34 psi and working backwards. would put you in that sweet spot of 31-33 psi...

Agreed, but I think it’s 10/1000lb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Iconic GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 30, 2017
New Braunfels, Texas
Kevin... thank you. you know us Texas Football players.... our math hasnt been so good.... but we could ball.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
wow 150!

Newer Porsche's are 450, agree lug nut torque sounds too high especially if any lube is used.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
Tire construction and compound along with wheel diameter and width have more to do with ideal hot pressures than car weight. I have used different tire brands on one of my cars with hot tire pressures varying from 19 psi to 29 psi at the same location depending on tire brand. I start with the tire manufacturers recommendation for track use and then look at wear patterns and temperatures. Sounds like 32 hot for NFGT would be the place to start.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
wow 150!

Newer Porsche's are 450, agree lug nut torque sounds too high especially if any lube is used.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
The best way to determine the correct tire air pressure for the track is to take tire temperatures. The pressure chosen will end up being different for the track, your driving & the weather.

Ed

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Incremental adjustment after each session is the way to go: I found this out the hard way in my McLaren, just dropping to 28 andthen going out on track resulted in a front tyre pulling off the rim at the first corner! I always sneak up on optimal temp now....