Ford GT fastest lap ever at VIR - C&D

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Sorry guys, but I don't really find this comment as offensive as most of you.

Nobody finds it offensive. Just explaining the reality of how the site works.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sorry guys, but I don't really find this comment as offensive as most of you.

It's a fact that a NFGT will be beaten by a 720S in a straight line drag race, and yeah - I wish that our GT would have had 700 HP and be a missile in a straight line, but let’s be honest and say that there are other cars that master that category a little bit better than the GT.

But when a guy finishes of by writing "Where the FGT shines is the track, that's what makes it so desirable" it does not make me what to flame him a question his reason for being a part of this forum.

I'm so stoked about what our GT can do on the track, and I'm sure the 720S will not be able to keep the same cornering speeds as our Ford, and even if it could, it will never have the same soul, and that's where we win.

The 720S also have more luggage space, but I can live with that.

I wasn't offended at all. My point was that, for many of us, the performance of the 720s, astonishing as it is, doesn't diminish the NFGT or our enthusiasm for it. Let me know when the 720s wins Le Mans. :lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sinovac - I'm not trying to make your head big or anything but I saved you last two posts to show my friends & family.

Ed

Thanks Ed. Maybe it will help you explain what nuts we are when it comes to these cars. :lol

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
I wasn't offended at all. My point was that, for many of us, the performance of the 720s, astonishing as it is, doesn't diminish the NFGT or our enthusiasm for it. Let me know when the 720s wins Le Mans. :lol

Sinovac.

I think you are spot on in many of your points in this thread, but I just feel that most times on this forum we are a little bit too harsh on “outsiders” who are the least bit critical towards opinions from GT owners.
Our GT’s are instant legendary thanks to Ford’s achievement at Le Mans, and it is a 720S way superior is in terms of performance on a race track.

And if a guy offered me two 720S in exchange for my NFGT the answer would be “I’ll race you for the title (road course)” 😉

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Sinovac.

I think you are spot on in many of your points in this thread, but I just feel that most times on this forum we are a little bit too harsh on “outsiders” who are the least bit critical towards opinions from GT owners.
Our GT’s are instant legendary thanks to Ford’s achievement at Le Mans, and it is a 720S way superior is in terms of performance on a race track.

And if a guy offered me two 720S in exchange for my NFGT the answer would be “I’ll race you for the title (road course)” ��

I understand your point, but consider this is an owners’ forum with specific rules for non-owners. Owners can bring up anything they like. Non-owners not so much. While that rule may shut down what might otherwise be legitimate debate between owners or potential owners, this forum’s recipe has worked very well for years now. As a guest in your house, I wouldn’t tell you that you bought cheap, inferior furniture. As your buddy, I could tell you that your taste was for shit. I think there’s a reasonable difference. :lol

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Another one to save!

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Before I knew Ford would make the 2005-2006 GT, I viewed cars in that price range as a silly extravagance. I loved cars, but I also believed I was smart with my money. My fun car purchases were a mix of passion and fiscal prudence. The fiscal prudence part went out the window when the last gen GT was revealed. My kness went weak and my brain turned mushy. It didn’t matter how much it was, or whether it was going to depreciate like crazy, I was going to have one. I bought my ‘06 near the end of the production run when prices had cooled considerably and appreciation wasn’t assured. The justifications I came up with to spend what was really an obscene amount on a car were comical, but they all boiled down to a passion for the Ford GT40. Many of us have stories like that.

Fast forward to the NFGT. It’s deja vu all over again. Some see the NFGT as just another expensive commodity to be compared to all the others. For me and all the other Ford homers, it’s so much more. It’s a car that isn’t competing with anything else for our dollars. This doesn’t make comparisons to other cars invalid, but it should put the comparisons into perspective.

Some look at the NFGT and see an overpriced V6 supercar which lacks the outright performance numbers of other, less expensive cars. I see a car conceived, designed and built by people passionate about winning Le Mans. A car with such a singular purpose as to make its commercial success a dicey proposition. A V6? Really? That takes balls, heart and laser-like focus. That all obviously paid off with the program’s first-year win at Le Mans. Something so improbable as to seem like a ridiculous fantasy. The NFGT carries on Ford’s commitment to the heritage of the GT40. For many of us, it has no peers.

Sinovac,

Bravo......your post above is so spot on IMO. Like you I never considered spending a lot of money on a supercar until the moment I saw the ‘05 GT. In one instant I went from “never” to “I must have one”. And that purchase was a stretch. But at least I knew that I’d never buy another supercar. Until Ford announced the new GT. Again in one instant I went from “never again” to “if I don’t own one of these it will ruin my life!!!” And talk about a stretch!! But hey, at least I know I’ll never buy another supercar.

Chip

Last edited:

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
First, congrats on the Lightning Lap record! It is a high standard, and its pretty cool to even think this car can beat a 918 with a "measly" V6 vs a hybrid v8. The esses exit speed is truly astonishing and thats what real drivers are looking at and understand what this car is, a masterpiece of a chassis/aero! Not to mention F-ing gorgeous, a one off masterpiece unlike anything before it. I hope Ford takes a run at the ring, Dave, Im looking at you!? :wink

Second, anyone who puts too much stock in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times, or even a car being a tenth or two faster in some lap test, doesnt drive at the track much. Put me in a NFGT against another weekend warrior guy in a 720 and lets see whos faster. I guarantee that 50hp wont be the difference, nor the 2 tenths 0-60. Hell, my e36 track rat with 300hp is faster than some drivers in a 991 gt3's, z28's, etc. Seriously, put me in one Ford :biggrin On the other side of the coin, I've been passed by Miatas in my 05 GT, its not about the numbers on paper, its about driving.

FYI, cota track event with Edge Addicts March 17-18th, be there! I'd love to see some of you guys! I plan on having the GT back in action.

Last edited:

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Having been a proffessional racing driver for more than 20 yeras, I hope to meet hmmm... - whatever shows up at the same track day

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Video

[video=youtube;PV2gQ6MFunw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV2gQ6MFunw[/video]

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
How's that guy get off saying the car is crude with all the electronics it has on it

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
What kind of lap could Joey or Dirk put down?

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
One man's up is another man's down.

Gentlemen,

Car & Driver lists highs as "Closest thing to a road going Le Mans winner, hugely exciting, makes rivals seem tame", and the lows as "Loud, crude, expensive, completely impractical".

Their lows are highs for me because a genuine Le Mans winner is........loud, crude, expensive, and completely impracticable.

No argument with their verdict however......."A staggering achievement and a future classic."

Chip

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
That was an awesome clip.
I’m very impressed with the lack of pitch on braking, the thing just stays flat. A very good thing to prevent oversteer when it comes to corner entry speed..

720S see ya

Yeah baby

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
That AMG was faster that I thought it would be.
Why no obvious Italians?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
The AMG has a surprisingly high level of performance. It crushed both Performante and 720S on the track at NCM by what appears to be an unreasonable margin.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There will always be something faster.Thats the way it is.
But there will only ever be one GT!

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
How's that guy get off saying the car is crude with all the electronics it has on it

How is crude a low? I love crude!

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
But at least I knew that I’d never buy another supercar. Until Ford announced the new GT. Again in one instant I went from “never again” to “if I don’t own one of these it will ruin my life!!!” And talk about a stretch!! But hey, at least I know I’ll never buy another supercar.

Lord help our bank accounts if Ford builds GT 4.0. :lol