Cali smog and current smog atation software

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Sigh....., the dreaded renewal notice has arrived.... Ordered the Autel, which should be here tomorrow.
So Kendall, just to confirm with you tips on page 3, I'd:
1. Swap back to original tune;
2. Unplug the MAFIA and plug the OEM back;
3. Plug in the Autel, and clear DTC ( BUT ONLY CLEAR IT ONCE BECAUSE EACH TIME I CLEAR THE DTC, THE MONITOR PROCESS STARTS ANEW). Am I reading your notes correctly?
4. Start driving as instructed.

Thx

GTED

Thx

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Ed-

When the Autel arrives, plug it in and see if you have any monitors that are not set. If all the monitors are set and there are no CEL's then your car will pass. No need to change tunes at all and go through all of "the process" to get the monitors to set!! Let us know what you find.

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
I heard a rumor that California may be deleting the visual test in the near future... Anyone hear that?

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Thx, Kenall!
Never attempted that!! I've always assumed that with Whipple and corresponding tune installed, it would not pass smog... Yes, I'll definitely connect the Autel first to see if all the monitors are set. Anyone in Cal who has whipple/tune and passed the smog without swapping back to OEM tune?

Yes, I'll report back once I have a chance to connect the Autel.

Ed-

When the Autel arrives, plug it in and see if you have any monitors that are not set. If all the monitors are set and there are no CEL's then your car will pass. No need to change tunes at all and go through all of "the process" to get the monitors to set!! Let us know what you find.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Wishful thinking or did I get lucky?
Ok, I didn't change tune for Whipple back to OEM tune, nor I plugged back the OEM plug from the Diablo Mafia plug..., I started the GT, plugged in the Autel and from the main Manu selected Ready Test for the Pre-check diagnostic. A few seconds later, this is what I got: No DTC; all with green check marks, except for HCAT and AIR showing NA. Does this really mean I can pass Ca smog without changing back to the OEM tune? Has anyone done that in Ca?
Please advise. Thx

GTED

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wishful thinking or did I get lucky?
Ok, I didn't change tune for Whipple back to OEM tune, nor I plugged back the OEM plug from the Diablo Mafia plug..., I started the GT, plugged in the Autel and from the main Manu selected Ready Test for the Pre-check diagnostic. A few seconds later, this is what I got: No DTC; all with green check marks, except for HCAT and AIR showing NA. Does this really mean I can pass Ca smog without changing back to the OEM tune? Has anyone done that in Ca?
Please advise. Thx

GTED

Comparing to the picture I added in #17 for the two Not Available I would say you're good to go. Whoever did your tune left the cats and O2 sensors in the system. In mine they are disabled (as is EGR) so they will never come ready.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Here is what Autel shows. So you guys think I can pass Ca smog event though I left the street tune for Whipple and left a he Diablo Mafia plugged in, which still yielded me the Ready Test result in the attached pix? So, my current tune does not appear to possibly trip up the Ca emission smog test, even the readiness shown in the pix? Thx

Ed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Looks like you're good to go.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Anyone in Cal who has whipple/tune and passed the smog without swapping back to OEM tune?

Many have.... and looks like you are good to go too.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Woohoo, I'll see if the smog station is open tomorrow, if so, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, next Saturday. I'll report back.

Thx, Kendall and Tony

Ed

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Whoa! Driving aimlessly to reset the Readiness Monitors can kiss my A_S!!!! Without having to swap back to the OEM tune, I just passed Ca smog. Sweet!

GTED

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Whoa! Driving aimlessly to reset the Readiness Monitors can kiss my A_S!!!! Without having to swap back to the OEM tune, I just passed Ca smog. Sweet!

GTED

Amazing

doc4140

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2006
Palm Springs, CA
recently had a hard time smogging a 2006 Ford GT with a tune, throttle body, Mafia, Borla Exhaust . I took your advice and removed the tune and restored the stock tune. I removed the Magia which is a easy unplug deeal. The Autel 519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool with Mode 6 that tell you each step of the process that passes with a green check marks which driveing the car. The catalyst was the only one that was red so I followed your instructions and drove the car 5 different speeds for several miniutes each and let the car slow down on its own and then stoppped like in stop and go traffic. 5 different speeds in a 10 minute period. Also I am in Palm SPrings so I had to do this when it was cooler than 100 degrees as listed in the OBD2 instructions and about 3/4 tank full. The red mark turned to green on this day after about 5 miles which I was lucky but driving long distances without following the exact details of what is needed as per the OBD2 ford instructions is a waste of time. I took the car in to be smogged only after the check mark for the catalyst was green and the other marks also were green. It passed smog no problem. I did not change the throttle body or anything else on the car. Only the tune and the mafis were removed. Without the code reader I would have been dead since you dont know when the codes are good to go for the smog wihitout the reader!! Thanks to NOTA4RE!!!!!!

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
Scott, congrats on the smog! Since your mods sound principally to be pulley & tune, you might consider having either Kendall or whomever you got the tune from to take a look to see if certain emissions related setting were turned off as part of the tune. If so, ask to turn those setting turned back on, then, you won't even need to swap tune and reroute the mafia for future smog, AND no more driving around to get the readiness reset! I have Whipple and passed smog without doing anything ( see previous posts within this thread). I didn't know I could pass that way, until Kendall and others suggested that. Luckily, my tune is such that the emission setting must have been untouched.

Ed

gdarrah99

Jan 10, 2020
New owner reviving an old thread... I just wanted to thank you guys for having a helpful discussion about California Smog. My '05 GT wouldn't complete the Catalyst test; I suspected the tune was preventing completion. With Torrie's help I loaded a new tune, removed the Mafia, and drove ~ 40 miles this morning hitting stoplights as prescribed by nota4re. Checked with my cheapo bluetooth OBD2, and I'm all green. I felt like I had won a sporting event!

Went straight to Smog shop and I have my fancy piece of paper!

I could have spent weeks screwing around with this. Or in the case of my Ferrari, about $10K getting it to smog. Thanks for helping me get this done.

Greg

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Bringing back this one. Just moved to SoCal, removed my tune and working on getting the CAT reset. Kendal has been great and thanks to Torrie as well. Still working on this one, about 40 miles in so far.

Reactions: analogdesigner

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Bringing back this one. Just moved to SoCal, removed my tune and working on getting the CAT reset. Kendal has been great and thanks to Torrie as well. Still working on this one, about 40 miles in so far.
I'm assuming you have some kind of OBDII reader that can display the readiness test results. Google "Ford drive cycle". Drive a short while (you've probably already done it) and then follow the instructions specific to the test that is still not ready.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Yes with my reader I am able to see they are all set except CAT. Need to put some more miles on her this weekend.

BM SoCal

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 2, 2009
Orange County, CA
Sigh....., the dreaded renewal notice has arrived.... Ordered the Autel, which should be here tomorrow.
So Kendall, just to confirm with you tips on page 3, I'd:
1. Swap back to original tune;
2. Unplug the MAFIA and plug the OEM back;
3. Plug in the Autel, and clear DTC ( BUT ONLY CLEAR IT ONCE BECAUSE EACH TIME I CLEAR THE DTC, THE MONITOR PROCESS STARTS ANEW). Am I reading your notes correctly?
4. Start driving as instructed.

Thx

GTED

Thx
Did a double take thinking, did I write this? In same process but also have headers and hope star smog place doesn’t notice. I believe from reading older, newer posts it has to be OEM tune now. Passed without prior.