The Ferrari That Would Never Happen Is Happening

zach05855

GT Owner
Oct 16, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Might as well just call it the Dino. We’ve heard this one time and again. And then again several more times. For years, Ferrari has denied that it planned to build a so-called entry-level model, or, as some would prefer to call it, a reborn Dino. The reason being was that Ferrari couldn’t price it at a level that was not only profitable, but, more importantly, wouldn’t dilute the brand’s image. But that was when now former chairman Luca di Montezemolo was running the show. He resigned last September and FCA boss Sergio Marchionne took on the job.

Point being, Marchionne wants to milk Ferrari for all he can, and a new model to compete against the Porsche 911 Turbo, Mercedes-AMG GT and the new McLaren 570S is what he wants. The scoop comes from Motor Trend writer Jonny Lieberman, claiming an FCA source. Lieberman also revealed that this Ferrari will feature a twin-turbo V6, $180,000 price tag, and a 2019 launch date. But wait, isn’t the California T the so-called "entry-level" Ferrari? No, not quite. It bases at just over $200k, making it more of a Bentley Continental GT fighter. Ferrari, under Marchionne, has recognized the importance of the supercar segment the 911 Turbo has long dominated, and it refuses to be left out while others are making money. More details to come.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2015/4/6/The-Ferrari-That-Would-Never-Happen-Is-Happening-7726300/

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm trying to figure out if I'm :thumbsup or :thumbsdow on the car.

To me the rear fascia almost looks like Ferrari ran out of time/money/ideas with regard to how it should be finished, and so 'twas left 'as is' at that point.

I like its side profile...'loathe the actual round headlights themselves...

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Looks good.
What does it say about the US economy, when the average working stiff is making less dough than 6 years ago, but Ferrari is releasing a $180,000 "entry" level car? Crazy times...

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Is that what it will look like? That's really ugly to me. Looks like one of those cartoons, where the car is smushed in length, and then huge wheels are added.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Looks good.
What does it say about the US economy, when the average working stiff is making less dough than 6 years ago, but Ferrari is releasing a $180,000 "entry" level car? Crazy times...

I doubt the price Ferrari puts on any of its cars is tied to the U.S. economy. :wink

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
It looks like an alfa romeo 4c spin off... $180,000 entry level doesn't seem like it would draw in many new sales. If you have 180 you probably have 200 to get to the california t...

Matt

GT Owner
Jan 27, 2012
Tampa, FL
I think there needs to be a distinction made between price bracket and performance. The Cali T is ~$200K, but it's not a sports car. To get a Ferrari sports car will cost at least ~$240 for a new 488GTB. So if this new entry level sports car undercuts that by 60k, I can see a lot of folks giving it consideration.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
It looks like an alfa romeo 4c spin off..

+1

I doubt the price Ferrari puts on any of its cars is tied to the U.S. economy. :wink

Isn't the United States their biggest market?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Isn't the United States their biggest market?

'Have never had the need/desire to check.

Regardless, my bet is the cost of production carries more weight.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Looks like a Daytona Coupe from the back...

Compared to a 911 in its price class, there's really no comparison.

The 911 is a highly refined, lightning fast AWD supercar. The F car will no doubt be a typical Ferrari build, not even close the to build quality of a P car IMO.

Ferrari builds cars at starting at 250k plus, at the current level of quality, imagine what it'll be at only 189k...

Take a good hard look at an F car under the skin and compare to a 911...and there's nothing to compare.

Last edited:

Brombear

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 16, 2013
Frankfurt Area, Germany
Doesn't look real to me. Design Studies coming from any automotive Company are of much better quality.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Is that what it will look like? That's really ugly to me. Looks like one of those cartoons, where the car is smushed in length, and then huge wheels are added.

I doubt the CG photo is anything like the real thing. If Ferrari even goes ahead with it.

Ed

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
Must have the same problem of not being able to post in Other Cars thread.

matteuson

GT Owner
Jun 4, 2014
Cincinnati, OH
I'm trying to figure out if I'm :thumbsup or :thumbsdow on the car.

To me the rear fascia almost looks like Ferrari ran out of time/money/ideas with regard to how it should be finished, and so 'twas left 'as is' at that point.

I like its side profile...'loathe the actual round headlights themselves...

Check out the rear of a 250 GTO or SWB....looks identical. I really like that rear end.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Wouldn't buy any foreign car.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Take a good hard look at an F car under the skin and compare to a 911...and there's nothing to compare.

Bingo- Pretty skin and beautiful leather, and that's it- if you don't believe me look at a Ferrari on a lift and examine the various underbody chassis weld points- (and I am no big Porsche fan)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Check out the rear of a 250 GTO or SWB....looks identical.

'True. They're darned close. But, I hold the same opinion of their 'rears'! :biggrin

The rear of a Daytona Coupe strikes me the same way. 'Always has. 'Same with the original GT40s, although not to the same degree for some reason (perhaps because of their 'deck lid' spoilers...and the little vents cut into the rear fascia in the upper left and right corners on some of them).

To me, all of the afore mentioned 'rears' look unfinished. 'Doesn't prevent me from appreciating the rest of the package though! :wink

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
...To me, all of the afore mentioned 'rears' look unfinished. 'Doesn't prevent me from appreciating the rest of the package though! :wink

In the past, this statement would have led to a whole new discussion (with pictures)...oh, well....