Is Ford building a new GT to race at Le Mans?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/is-ford-building-a-new-gt40-to-race-at-le-mans

By: Steven Cole Smith, News manager, Motorsport.com
Posted: 11 hours ago
[h=2]There's evidence that the company is. And evidence that it isn't.[/h]Ford is announcing a brand-new GT40 at the Detroit auto show in January!

Or not.

Ford will race the brand-new Shelby GT350 Mustang at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 2016!

Or not.

But these two possibilities have the conspiracy theorists working overtime. Here’s why: The FIA’s World Endurance Championship has scheduled a press conference at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit for Tuesday, January 13, at 1:25 p.m. And there’s buzz aplenty that Ford would like to go back to Le Mans in 2016, the 50th anniversary of its undeniably historic win there.

Ford, in 1966, had won the 24 Hours of Daytona and the 12 Hours of Sebring with the GT40, built in at least some small part because Enzo Ferrari not only rebuffed Ford’s interest in buying the company, he did it rather dismissively. Back then, Ford was rich enough to spend money just to make a statement, and they did, with the GT40. Which is why they sent eight of them to Le Mans.

The GT40 not only won, it swept the podium, and the best Ferrari could do was an eighth with a customer team, 50 laps down. So 2016 makes 50 years since that happened, and no company loves happy anniversaries more than Ford.

So the rumor is we will see a brand-new GT40 at Detroit. And that it will be introduced in conjunction with the WEC at its press conference. There is a problem with that, which I will get to in a moment.

The last GT40 was called just the Ford GT, due in part to problems in acquiring the GT40 name, owned by a British company. It was introduced in 2003 at Ford’s 100th anniversary (see what I mean about Ford and anniversaries?), and they started selling them a year later. They built about 4,000 in two years, retailed them for about $150,000. They were wonderful cars, but were only, at best, a mild sales success – Ford actually intended to build more than they did – and while some were raced, and still are, Ford didn’t back a major program.

[h=3]Why now?[/h]

So why would they want to build another supercar right now? Good question. It isn’t just to go to Le Mans – no company has that kind of discretionary in-your-face income right now. Well, maybe BMW, but few others.

They could, of course, go to Le Mans with a less-ambitious GT program – Chevrolet and Dodge made competitive GT cars out of Corvettes and Vipers, so it would be possible to make one out of the Shelby GT350, which goes on sale next year. It will have more than 500 naturally-aspirated horsepower, which -- like the Corvette and Viper production engines -- would be strangled down anyway to meet "balance of performance" levels. Don't forget, too, that you must be invited to Le Mans, though there are ways to make that happen. (Money? Did we say money? We did not actually say money.)

And who would field a Le Mans entry? Chip Ganassi remains the central Ford proponent in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship with Michael Shank bailing for Honda, but Ganassi races a Daytona Prototype, though one could certainly end up at Le Mans sooner rather than later if Jim France and the TUSC insist. But it could also be Roger Penske, who has done a stunningly good job for Ford in NASCAR, and it’s no secret Penske and second-in-command Tim Cindric would like to race sports cars again.

It could also be Jack Roush, but it seems like he has his hands full trying to make his Sprint Cup cars go as fast as Penske’s. It would have to be an American effort, if the anniversary is to mean anything. Ford could even be working on some sort of hybrid racer, expecting to get the Garage 56 slot at Le Mans reserved for experimental cars, which gave the Deltawing its massive launch.

For whatever reason, then, the WEC has a press conference at the NAIAS, but as mentioned, it’s on Tuesday afternoon, when nothing of major importance, such as the debut of a new GT40, is likely to happen -- many journalists are long gone by noon on Tuesday. Ford’s own press conference is on Monday morning, where, as usual, they have rented out the entire Joe Louis Arena. That conference is attended by everybody, and if there is a new GT40, that’s the likely debut.

Or not.

We’ll know in a month. And Motorsport.com will be in Detroit either way.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
And from Autoweek:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-new...er&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Different authors, but both comment that the GT was not a sales success..... ????!!!!

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Stupid. Common misconception that the drop from ~4500 units to ~4,000 had something to do with the cars not moving.

But those links did make the new front page of Ford GT Forum:

http://www.fordgtforum.com/homepage/?p=94

:lol

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Well that's a new area of our playground I didn't know about....

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
“They were wonderful cars, but were only, at best, a mild sales success –“

Andy, I struggle to understand this sentence as well???

As I see it they ARE wonderful cars and IMO their sales were certainly better than “mild”. Being an original purchaser from Ford I know how hard it was to purchase one.... Supply was low and demand was very high leading to the gouging ADMs.

Has someone told Joey about this announcement?:confused

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
That may be the conclusion people jump to, because the announced plan was to build 4,500 and they didn't.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Stupid. Common misconception that the drop from ~4500 units to ~4,000 had something to do with the cars not moving.

:lol

Misconception, perhaps. But Ford sells nearly twice that many Mustangs a month, don't you know. :lol

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Dave is such a tease.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I think DBK knows if they're going to build a new GT.............or not.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I have already ordered my 2016 Ford GT

B.M.F.

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 29, 2009
Minnesota
TO many vendors are starting to quote parts... We shall see soon enough!!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id

Maybe so Ron, but I ordered mine in Sonic Blue with a factory Gurney bubble and personalized sill plates....so there!

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I think DBK knows if they're going to build a new GT.............or not.

+1 Without a doubt

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit

I sure hope you ordered the 400a and not the 401a package. Once ordered, no changes permitted.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Before I order, does anyone know who is producing the gauges??

Howard

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Before I order, does anyone know who is producing the gauges??

Lucas. No worries.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Testing Ford's new Hybrid Lemans GT wearing a cleaver disguise.............supervan-2.jpg

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
The side air inlets need to be screened to pass US FMVSS regs. Somebody's kid could be sucked into that thing. ;-))

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I always loved that Transit with the DFV, wonder what happened to it?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Last edited: