The New Shelby GT350

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I applaud the GT350 and all that Ford is doing. I hope they have more up their sleeve versus the specs of what they have conveyed on the motor. Developing a flat-plane crank engine has to have been a really fun and challenging exercise for Ford engineers (all engineers love a challenge) but I hope the performance parameters have been achieved. Although the ls7 is almost 40% larger in displacement (7.0L versus 5.2L), the physical size and weight of the ls7 I suppose is "much" smaller than the 5.2L motor? (Please correct me, ol' wise ones.) The LS7 debuted in 2006 with 505HP and 470LB-FT of torque and was a relatively mass produced motor. Fast forward NINE YEARS, and Ford is getting hay for a "500-ish" HP /"400-ish" TQ motor that may very well be bigger and heavier. OK, great, I agree that it at least SOUNDS better than the engine GM brought to market almost a decade ago.

I don't want to be the naysayer but I hope the specs that Ford conveyed are very, very, conservative. More importantly, I barely have any concerns at all about peak HP or peak TQ - that's stuff of internet lore. The real enchilada is the shape of the curve and, most importantly, the area under the curve. Once again, having driven the LS7 numerous times on a track, they pull like a goddamn freight train.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There's no denying the LS engines are much smaller and lighter than the modular Ford V8s. I think the production spec on the Voodoo engine for the GT350 will be 540-550bhp. While this may not seem like a quantum leap forward from the LS7, the potential of the Ford engine will be much greater, even with its displacement disadvantage. Also consider this is new territory for Ford, so they will be conservative with the engine's state of tune, at least initially. I bet this engine can provide over 600bhp in warrantied form.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
How much heavier is the 5.2 vs. the LS motors?

I am sure they could have stuck with a Coyote 5.0, 5.4 or even a 5.8 of some type, I assumed they stayed with the smaller displacement for CAFE or EPA reasons??

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
2016 Shelby GT350 vs Dodge Hellcat vs Camaro Z28

The guy that does these has done it again. Note, in keeping with the G rated nature, there are a few swears so I won't post the video but a link to the video If you happen to be offended you opened the door :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nne3raZkUHw&list=UUr96aazrdE3yrBrJBeoTh-w

And don't tell me that "if you put firecrackers up an elephant's a** the elephant will run fast but it still can't stop or turn" isn't funny.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Are the stripes painted or vinyl?

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal

The guy that does these has done it again. Note, in keeping with the G rated nature, there are a few swears so I won't post the video but a link to the video If you happen to be offended you opened the door :)

And don't tell me that "if you put firecrackers up an elephant's a** the elephant will run fast but it still can't stop or turn" isn't funny.

Make all the road straight so I can enjoy my Hellcat, what a nut job that guy. I hope nature doesn't produce another one for as long as planet earth rotates.

Copenhagen GT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 5, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
"Look at that little man trying to wrangle Dumbo"

:rofl:rofl:rofl

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Ford hasn't released the weight of the 5.2, but I believe the 5.0 is about 50 lbs heavier than an LS7.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida

Ford hasn't released the weight of the 5.2, but I believe the 5.0 is about 50 lbs heavier than an LS7.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Dramatic difference in the front between GT and GT350.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I think the biggest improvement is the hood. Getting that extra layer off between the power bulge and fender helps.

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Definitely funny! HOWEVER...

I did find it interesting, while reading the new issue of Road and Track, that the Hellcat Challenger turned in a faster time on their track than some noteworthy competitors, such as a 2014 Porsche Cayman S, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2015 BMW M4, and 2012 Boss 302. AS HAS BEEN MENTIONED NUMEROUS TIMES, no serious trackster is going to buy a Hellcat for prowess at the track, and it certainly isn't going to compete with the GT350 around the curves, but hey- it must not be THAT lumbering of a car!

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
Dramatic difference in the front between GT and GT350.

View attachment 36342
View attachment 36343
The front shot looks like a smiling snake, fangs and all

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Whoever was in charge of specifying the colostomy bag coolant tank should be reprimanded.

GT350 1.jpg
GT3502.jpg

Substantial tires front and rear:

GT3503.jpg

Last edited:

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Whoever was in charge of specifying the colostomy bag coolant tank should be reprimanded ]

Lol!!

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
From the LA Autoshow. I think I am going to get one of these!

IMG_1317_zps255f47f7.jpg

IMG_1316_zps1a396585.jpg

IMG_1315_zpsaa960235.jpg

IMG_1314_zps6e3732f5.jpg

IMG_1313_zps023bfe01.jpg

IMG_1312_zpsc258c672.jpg

IMG_1311_zpse0f26c4d.jpg

[imghttp://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm287/AtomicGT/car%20runs/MINI/IMG_1310_zps96754a94.jpg][/img]
IMG_1309_zps4c4e1908.jpg

IMG_1308_zpsf31dc666.jpg

IMG_1307_zps8bcd14c9.jpg

BAT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 11, 2012
Central Mitten
So dumb it down for me. Will the "R" be like a GT3RS or Cup car? More specifically will one be able to drive one down the damn road (legally)?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Colostomy bag- really. That's good. Don't use that at trial though. Did you ever interrogate a juror and ask if they have a colostomy bag?

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
So dumb it down for me. Will the "R" be like a GT3RS or Cup car? More specifically will one be able to drive one down the damn road (legally)?

The R hasn't even been confirmed officially, so this isn't known publicly. I certainly don't know, but I think it will be a street car. I believe the carbon brakes support this since it's my understanding they aren't legal for the SCCA classes the Mustang would compete in. Others here would know more about the specific rules.

Colostomy bag- really. That's good. Don't use that at trial though. Did you ever interrogate a juror and ask if they have a colostomy bag?

If the jurors felt like I was interrogating them, I've already lost. :lol
Jury selection is one of my favorite aspects of a trial. I've discussed everything under the sun with potential jurors.

Last edited:

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
strictly my own opinion but I haven't liked the back end of the Mustangs in years. they look so good coming toward you and then once they pass, it's like "what is that?" the designers start off with good intentions and just kinda fall short once they get to the back. Too Toyota-ish to me in the back. JMHO