Total disrespect......

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
You simply can't legislate against the stupid or insane.
Whether it's gun violence or the topic of this thread, it will always be there.
The idea is not to give up our individual rights to defend against these A holes.
When we go to a show where we don't know the majority of the participants, we take turns "defending" our property.
My Best,
Mark

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
You simply can't legislate against the stupid or insane.
Whether it's gun violence or the topic of this thread, it will always be there.
The idea is not to give up our individual rights to defend against these A holes.
When we go to a show where we don't know the majority of the participants, we take turns "defending" our property.
My Best,
Mark
Thank you Mark for watching the car the other night, much appreciated!!!!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Life's too short. I let kids sit in my cars and have pics taken , etc. ("To whom much is given, much is expected") I'm not going to miss a good car show because I worry about what an idiot might do. And, I'd just as soon put one of those leaning stuffed dolls against the fender as put a "Look, but don't touch" sign on the car.

The only issue I can recall was once after buying a new Viper leaving a Barnes & Noble only to find a note on the windshield saying, "sorry that you have a small penis." My first inclination was to look around and see if my wife's car was nearby, but then I realized it was from a stranger.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
:lol

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Always a pleasure, my friend!
So much fun standing next to such a great looking and sounding GT.

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Life's too short. I let kids sit in my cars and have pics taken , etc. ("To whom much is given, much is expected") I'm not going to miss a good car show because I worry about what an idiot might do. And, I'd just as soon put one of those leaning stuffed dolls against the fender as put a "Look, but don't touch" sign on the car.

The only issue I can recall was once after buying a new Viper leaving a Barnes & Noble only to find a note on the windshield saying, "sorry that you have a small penis." My first inclination was to look around and see if my wife's car was nearby, but then I realized it was from a stranger.
Lol.
Well done!
I let ANYBODY who is polite and shows an interest sit in my car if they like.
Not quite the topic of this thread.
M

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
You have to decide what the risk level you're comfortable with is. Personally, if someone does something dumb on or near my car, I'm going to be upset, but the potential risk of that happening is less than the enjoyment I've had over nearly a decade of doing whatever it is I want with the car. To me, yes, I'm gonna risk someone being an idiot leaning on the car, but I'm also going to get to make people very happy by taking the car out for them to enjoy as much as I do.

Sounds like a pretty balanced approach to me. I enjoy doing the same, but with a watchful eye.

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I am frequently surprised when people come up to me when I’m out and about and ask if its ok if they take a picture of the GT. Seems respectful.

People at air shows are also typically respectful, I can think of 3 examples to the contrary, the worst was when a parent watched her kid use the pitot tube as a monkey bar..

Tomcat

GT Owner
"I didn't tell my wife what I paid for it, and I'm not going to tell you!", with a smile,
Can I steal this line?

Tomcat

GT Owner
, the worst was when a parent watched her kid use the pitot tube as a monkey bar..

I guess the pitot heater was not on! :)

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Can I steal this line?

Absolutely!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
There definitely been a shift from 2004-2006...

Most folks were somewhat amused like you patriotically bought a Ford instead of F-430 or Gallardo...and would lose your shirt.

Then there were the TT, GT-2, GT-3, GT-Rs....I can take that thing!

And now, "You got lucky, those really took off"......like you inherited gramps' Cobra from the barn

I would take peoples interest in the GT with a grain of salt....you will encounter everything form stupidity, to envy to hostility.

True car guys are rare and becoming rarer.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I would take peoples interest in the GT with a grain of salt....you will encounter everything form stupidity, to envy to hostility.

Honestly, if that's your attitude towards people with interest in the car, I'd say you're much more likely to get hostile people.

FlagstaffGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
I took my GT to the Shangri-La Buff and Shine Car Show one year (you can do your own research to figure out what it is). I had no problem when the cute reporter leaned against the car and left her perfect butt imprint outlines on the side of the car!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Honestly, if that's your attitude towards people with interest in the car, I'd say you're much more likely to get hostile people.

Not true...Its just being smart and avoiding a total loss...which is a serious concern not to be minimized, dismissed or made light of.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I haven't ever taken the GT out and left it unattended. If we are out and need to stop somewhere she will stay with the car but if I'm alone (except for the car show gatherings) I won't leave it unattended...I used to take it and parked way away from everyone in an empty part of the lot and some slob parked as close as he could get to the driver's side. I don't know why idiots do that.

I made virtually the same post - almost word-for-word - about 7 years ago.

'Only diff is I've never left any of my cars unattended at any 'show. Anyone who does is completely nuts IMHO.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida

+1. All I encounter is positive vibes. Most people have no idea what they are looking at, but they know it is out of this world cool.

StormBringer

Jul 18, 2014
Greenwich & Malibu
You can not leave any sort of car unattended these days. Some people don't give a care for another's property.

Attended the Sun n Fun(air Show) in Lakeland. While I was attempting some target water landings in the albatross about 10 people were crowded around one of my cars. It was parked between our two SUV's and one from my security detail was sitting in the SUV parked next door. When a few got close he flipped up the roof and raised the gatling gun. Wish I was there to film that one. Great time meeting up with the USN Blue Angels.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I won’t leave my car at cruise nights.I had a similar experience .I feel your pain.

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
There definitely been a shift from 2004-2006...

Most folks were somewhat amused like you patriotically bought a Ford instead of F-430 or Gallardo...and would lose your shirt.

Then there were the TT, GT-2, GT-3, GT-Rs....I can take that thing!

And now, "You got lucky, those really took off"......like you inherited gramps' Cobra from the barn

True car guys are rare and becoming rarer.

Interesting comment Kayvan. A few weeks ago I attended a private gathering of a number of ferrari guys in a warehouse here in LA where there were several ultra-rare ferraris. One of my friends mentioned in passing to one of these guys the fact that I owned a couple of GT's and surprisingly I got a good deal of the "I don't understand how it appreciated" comments particularly from guys who weren't that well versed on where the market prices are on these cars today (i.e. grossly exaggerating the appreciation) My answer was simple….if you drove the car…you would understand.

Like you, I love my GT's but I love cars in general. To me this is the difference between certain collector types and true car guys.

Getting back to this thread….It would be interesting to see how many of us would feel as comfortable driving our cars in a hypothetical world where they were worth three or four times as much as they are today.