Total disrespect......

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I know many of you have similar stories but this weekend, I have unfortunately joined the ranks of FGT owners who have experienced a total lack of respect for these cars and people's property in general. I tookmy car out for a quick spin around Irvine. I drove through a pretty high end apartment community (The Park at Irvine Spectrum) to a grab a coffee and return some calls at a little cafe within the community. I parallel parked on the street. I am accustomed to passerby's stopping to look and snap a photo. This day was different. Fortunately, I was only about 20 yards away when I noticed a car stop. A. Guy and girl get out on the passenger side and as I watched them go towards the front of my car, I noticed the guy bend own slightly. I yelled at the guy, " hey, what the f@ck are you doing dude" as I ran to my car I realized this little asshole sat on the hood of my car to take a photo to put on Instagram. I wanted to strangle this guy. After more than a few harsh words, I checked my hood and fortunately, there was no damage. Just another reason,I will never leave my car again. People today just don't have any respect for other people's property. I was this close to getting physical with this guy. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
Wouldn't have blamed you had you pounded him...some people are just beyond stupid.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
Don't complain....Should have kicked his ass. Just like if someone sits on my Harley....
Before & After Pictures are a must.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I'm never surprised any more......I jog with a friend of mine and had driven the Atom over there. When we returned his neighbor (who I had me 1 time previously) was SITTING in the car. He laughed and said he didn't think it was that hard to get in and out of. When I asked him to get the **** out of the car he couldn't understand why I was upset. Tried to explain how is it any different if I just walked inside his house. Completely clueless.......

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Just another reason,I will never leave my car again..

Having made similar statements here from time to time, my guess is you will now probably hear from a member of the "it's just a car" contingent...in 5...4...3...2...:lol

'Couldn't agree with you more on all counts. :wink

(Edit:) I wonder if he'll put that photo on Instagram now? 'Guess we'll find out...

Last edited:

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Having made similar statements here from time to time, my guess is you will now probably hear from a member of the "it's just a car" contingent...in 5...4...3...2...:lol

'Couldn't agree with you more on all counts. :wink

(Edit:) I wonder if he'll put that photo on Instagram now? 'Guess we'll find out...
Unfortunately, This idiot already did.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I lived in OC last year and found total disrespect for nice
cars

My new Vettes nose was slammed into, parked in the Corona del Mar shopping
Center in front of Bristol Farms, on Memorial Day weekend. Driver or witnesses did nothing

Vette had some liquid poured on it in Newport apt complex; $3-5K per mo; and dog poop thrown on balcony too.

Cars & Coffee at Irvine....another waste; punks with belt buckles leaning over car to touch ur while holding dripping coffee. Not sure why this generic parking lot show gets such national attention. Crowd is just scetchy.

Laguna Beach.....people will walk by and just reach down and start touching grills, glass, etc.

Not sure how OC descended into this, from spoiled slackers to 50yr olds still wearing backwards baseball caps, but I would NOT leave ur GT alone EVER. I moved to LA...

Shoot down to Dana Point for drives or even Malibu; PCH in Newport / Laguna is all lights as u know...

Last edited:

06fordgt

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 8, 2006
Toronto Canada
There always a few yoyo's around all the time!!

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
The saying that you can't fix stupid rings true once again.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Cars & Coffee in a Irvine....another waste; punks with belt buckles leaning over car to touch ur while holding dripping coffee. Not sure why this generic parking lot show gets such national attention. Crowd is just scetchy.

Last time I brought a car there, I found a gash in the driver's side door of my 911 that required a respray. You would think at a CAR MEET, and arguably the most famous one in the country, that people would be careful/have respect for other people's cars. Proves that no where is safe.

People just don't care. Earlier this month I entered 1638 in a Lions Club car show, and after wandering around a bit I looked back at it and a woman was standing next to the car with her left hand on it while her boyfriend took a picture. I asked her to not touch it and pointed out the "do not touch" signs on the windshield. She moved, so I went back to looking at other stuff. When I looked again, she was LEANING on it! That's the end of open public car shows for me. Too bad, I enjoy showing it to folks, but if they can't be trusted to look and not touch, I've had it.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Last time I brought a car there, I found a gash in the driver's side door of my 911 that required a respray. You would think at a CAR MEET, and arguably the most famous one in the country, that people would be careful/have respect for other people's cars. Proves that no where is safe.

So far the Vegas C&C crowd seems pretty well behaved. Turnout this time of year is the die hards only due to the heat.

I haven't ever taken the GT out and left it unattended. If we are out and need to stop somewhere she will stay with the car but if I'm alone (except for the car show gatherings) I won't leave it unattended. I had similar stories with my Cobra. I used to take it and parked way away from everyone in an empty part of the lot and some slob parked as close as he could get to the driver's side. I don't know why idiots do that.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Don't get me started on the Car Show circuit...that's even worse!

These places are filled with con artists, crooks, and grifters....they are scamming for names from show programs, plates and towns you live in...and their vendor at DMV.

Their innocent chats: "where do you get this serviced"; "oh you in Newport Coast too?"; "let me get your card" are scams.

I will not do shows and have told people taking pics not to do plates.

Its a quarter million of your property and you have every right to tell people to move, back off or get lost.

TRUST ME...its not worth it.

Last edited:

Cobraguy

GT Owner
This is a bit off the gt topic and maybe it's a Canadian thing but.......I left my new (as in 5 running hrs new) boat at the marina for a few nights and when I returned yesterday I found a note on the dash. Another boat owner had accidentally run into my rear swim platform resulting in some minor damage (I wouldn't have noticed it right away and he easily could've ignored it). In the note was an apology with his full name, address and contact numbers. I spoke with him this morning about it and he was a true gentleman.
I dont want to tarnish this story but I have had no less than 7 hit and runs on various vehicles over the years and not one note ever....so much for the "Canadian thing" theory.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You have to decide what the risk level you're comfortable with is. Personally, if someone does something dumb on or near my car, I'm going to be upset, but the potential risk of that happening is less than the enjoyment I've had over nearly a decade of doing whatever it is I want with the car. I'm not gonna take it to the tailgate at the football game, but cruise nights, car events, road trips, etc are all fair game. The worst thing I've had someone do that I can think of was probably 2007 when I caught a guy at the last U.S F1 GP at Indy using the door cutout as a coaster for his Pepsi. I said "dude, are you serious?" and he just gave me a dumbfounded look and an "oh sorry." It happens, and it happens whether you drive a Kia Rio or a Ford GT.

I think it was that same weekend that Camilo, TimCantwell and I took our cars into downtown Indy. While looking for a space we weaseled our way in front of the downtown Ruth's Chris and the GM told us if we'd leave the cars there that day and the next, we could all eat for free. The next day we had the two GTs and Tim's Gallardo and I think it was a 360 CS, and they comped us a massively expensive dinner for all of us. And we spent quite a while out front engaging the general public about the cars. I let a kid get in the car and started it for him and that made his life. To me, yes, I'm gonna risk someone being an idiot leaning on the car, but I'm also going to get to make people very happy by taking the car out for them to enjoy as much as I do.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
In the 76,000 miles on the #2 car, I've had very few such incidents - and usually by the "prettier" people. I stayed at a lot of different lodging facilities, and find more respect for the car at a Motel 6 than at a Fairmont or Hilton. Blue collar people love the fact that it's a Ford, ask meaningful questions, and are very courteous when offered the chance to sit in or go for a short ride. Guess I relate to them, having worked on my grandfather's farm a lot in my early days....

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
In the 76,000 miles on the #2 car, I've had very few such incidents - and usually by the "prettier" people. I stayed at a lot of different lodging facilities, and find more respect for the car at a Motel 6 than at a Fairmont of Hilton. Blue collar people love the fact that it's a Ford, ask meaningful questions, and are very courteous when offered the chance to sit in or go for a short ride.

Totally agree. I found the crowd at the F1 race way more cavalier around the cars vs. the decidedly less "sophisticated" crowd at all the Indy races I've gone to.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Considering all the people that have sat on the front clip of my car, that composite must be pretty strong.

I thought parking in front of Camilo's studio might be risky. Everyone in the hood was cool. Maybe they're used to seeing Camilo's GT. OTOH, I didn't leave it there at night.

Recently, six days in the Florida Keys with the Key West Power Cruise, and no issues other than the inevitable fingerprints. People just have to touch.

I'm more concerned about UV damage than people damage here. Every summer day the UV Index is "Extreme."

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I thought parking in front of Camilo's studio might be risky. Everyone in the hood was cool. Maybe they're used to seeing Camilo's GT. OTOH, I didn't leave it there at night.

I have parked my GT there way too many times to count without incident, and have left closer to dawn than dusk many times. It's not really the hood, just looks like it. I have had some, uh, issues leaving DD's out front.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
People just don't care. Earlier this month I entered 1638 in a Lions Club car show, and after wandering around a bit I looked back at it and a woman was standing next to the car with her left hand on it while her boyfriend took a picture. I asked her to not touch it and pointed out the "do not touch" signs on the windshield. She moved, so I went back to looking at other stuff. When I looked again, she was LEANING on it! That's the end of open public car shows for me. Too bad, I enjoy showing it to folks, but if they can't be trusted to look and not touch, I've had it.
I usually put "Do Not Touch" signs in each door window, on the dash, and in the rear window. I think people read it as "Touch". OTOH, when someone shows some respect, asks if they can take a picture standing next to the car, ask some "intelligent" questions, I'll open the door, and ask if they'd like a picture in the car. The question that I still don't answer is how much did you pay, or what it's worth. Many times, I'll answer with "I didn't tell my wife what I paid for it, and I'm not going to tell you!", with a smile, they'll usually just skulk away. There are lots of stupid, insensitive people out there.