ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

This Forum has a lot of pilot members and those of us who fly often wonder how things would work out if we had an engine failure during a cross-country flight. Well, after 34 years of flying I finally got to find out. Two weeks ago, with my son Charley home on Christmas vacation, he needed to return to Texas A&M for an evening meeting with his fraternity. It's a 1000 mile flight from my home airport, Falcon Field in Mesa, Arizona which normally takes about three hours and 50 minutes in my Glasair III that cruises at 265 mph. I have about 1000 aerobatic hours in this aircraft over the last 18 years and have flown it coast-to-coast on the airshow circuit countless times. It's a very small, all composite, two-seat aircraft that is fairly heavy because it's constructed with fiberglass which weighs more than a comparably built aluminum aircraft, but much stronger. It also has a huge 540 cubic inch Lycoming fuel injected motor stuffed in the nose and that, combined with a small wing, makes for a very fast little airplane but.......those features also make it an airplane that does not glide very well because the wing loading is as high as that of a Beechcraft twin-engine turboprop King Air. With gear and flaps down the engine out sink rate exceeds 3000 ft./m and my little plane has a landing speed of 120 mph, a touchdown speed some light planes will not achieve at full throttle in flight. Cleaned up, with the gear in the wells and the flaps retracted the engine out sink rate is still 1500 ft./m at a best glide speed of 150 mph.

About 200 miles east of El Paso Texas during one of my instrument scans, I noticed that my oil pressure was ever so slightly lower than normal. Oil temperature looked fine and all other readings were normal. Still, that indication had my Spidey sense tingling and I paid more attention to alternate fields as I passed overhead. Ever so slightly and bit by bit, oil pressure continued to drop which should have given me an increase in oil temperature, but my oil temperature stayed the same. Was my oil pressure gauge failing? I also have a low oil pressure light which was not giving me any indications of a problem. I asked Charley to hand me my Jeppeson Airport Databook so I could look up which field in front of us had a maintenance shop. San Angelo, Texas was 50 miles ahead and was the closest airport with aircraft repair.

I told Charley he was going to miss his meeting and that I needed to get this airplane on the ground. Up to that point Charley had no idea anything was going wrong but my declaration made the hair stand up on the back of his neck. What's going on dad? Is our plane okay? "I'm not sure" is the best answer I could give him.

I stayed up high, at 11,500 feet, with the ground elevation of 2000 feet in that area I had 9500 feet to work with if things went south. 15 miles outside of San Angelo I called up the tower and was cleared to land with no other traffic in the area. At that moment my oil pressure fell off sharply, oil pressure light came on, engine felt very rough, yet oil temperature remained cool. I would find out later that my oil temperature gauge had failed. A little over 10 miles away from San Angelo - BANG, oil pressure dropped to zero and my engine stopped making power. I pulled the prop to course pitch to try and lessen drag and my propeller was still windmilling which I believed would give me a slightly better glide rate.

The runway at San Angelo is right over the top of a huge lake so if we came up short we were going to get wet. Once I dropped the landing gear I knew my plane would glide about as well as a set of car keys, but at least it would float about as well as an anvil. Charley was most excited at this point. Are we on fire? Are we going to have to jump? Am I going to die? Talk to me dad? "Shut up Charley, I can't talk right now, we are only going to have one shot at this". As I was cleared to land and did not want to waste time talking to the tower I decided not to declare an emergency. A quick mental calculation told me that with a sink rate of 1500 ft./m I would be able to cover that 10 miles and turn final with about 2000 feet of altitude remaining.

We were both wearing parachutes but thankfully, it looked like we would not be using them today. As I closed in on my turn to final I put the nose down to burn off my excess altitude and with no oil pressure, my windmilling constant speed propeller oversped badly. I don't know how it could of done that, perhaps my crankshaft was broken, but when a constant speed prop exceeds its design limits by more than 10%, there is a risk of breaking one of the blades out of the hub. When that happens the imbalance tears the engine clean out of the airframe and a fatal crash is certain. I pulled the nose up to slow the plane and the propeller, dumping my gear and flaps at the same time. Now however, I was way too high to land.

I pitched my little Glasair sideways in the most radical slip to land I've ever done while S-turning at the same time. We fell out of the sky like a rock and I straightened out about 100 feet from the ground halfway down the runway at 120 mph. We made a beautiful touchdown, retracted the flaps to give me more traction, and stood on the brakes. I had enough momentum at the last turn off to coast off the runway and about 40 yards onto the ramp where we came to a stop. I don't remember when the prop stopped windmilling and when we popped the canopies the stench of smoke and burnt oil wafted up from our exhaust pipes. The belly of our aircraft was coated with a thick black layer of soot.

Charley couldn't wait to get the hell out. Both the oil filter and the screen were full of large chunks of various types of metal. My custom-built 500 hour old Lycoming was now scrap metal. The control tower had no idea that we were in trouble and I wasn't going to tell them now. We were on the ground, everything worked out, Charley was fine, and that's all I really cared about.

We spent the night in a hotel and caught a commercial flight back to Phoenix the next day. The shop pulled my engine, crated it, and sent it back to Barrett Aircraft Engines in Oklahoma. I sent a crew to pull the wing off my plane, put it and the fuselage in a jig and haul them both on a flatbed back to Arizona where my aircraft will be reassembled and await its new engine. I will test fly it, and I should be back in the air within a couple months. The photo below is a copy of a poster we gave away at airshows, the picture was taken at the Sun & Fun Airshow in Lakeland, Florida by an EAA photographer.

An interesting side note. Over the last couple months I have been going out to Midland Texas to work with GT ace Ray Hofman on flying emergency maneuvers. Ray is a new pilot with some very high performance aircraft and he's also a very quick study who enjoyed even the most radical aerobatics, spins, slips, and stalls that we practiced. Someday, I thought that type of training might just save his life if something went wrong. As it turns out, all of that recent practice with Ray might have just saved my life as it was all fresh when I really needed it.

All's well that ends well.

Chip

Attachments

• Glasair III.jpg
    Glasair III.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 942
Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
One hell of a story. I glad you and Charlie are OK.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Holy Crap! I get twice as nervous as Charley was just in close calls on the ground.

Really glad your experience, skill set, recent practice with Ray Hofman, and calm demeanor all paid off!

Yes, all's well the ends well. But still, Holy Crap!

Last edited:

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
Chip that had to be a frightening experience and made even worse that your Son was with you. You never know how one will react in a life and death situation but you passed with flying colors. Glad you guys are OK and thanks for sharing.

gkw

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I was calmly reading until I got to, "Bang, oil pressure dropped to zero and my engine stopped making power". I suspect at that point Charley wished he had hitch hiked back to school.

Glad it worked out.

Last edited:

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Got "chills" reading your story. Probably no better person to be with in these circumstances. Your training and instincts are the reasons that you're telling the story!!!

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Great story and great flying. Lot's of lessons there. Glad your well and still with us.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
! Wow ,what a story. I would have been scared shitless! Glad you know what you are doing!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Whew!! God was smiling over your shoulder. Great survival lesson, but not one you want to repeat. Instinct and training skills put to life & death test.

:thumbsup :thumbsup

:cheers

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Good that you both are "just fine".

Hell of a story Chip. When the oil pressure went to ZERO, I got that omg feeling.

All of your training, practice and instincts where right on.

See you soon. And that my friend is a real good thing.

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
wow

Last edited:

viva gt

GT Owner
Sep 15, 2010
toronto canada
it would be very interesting to hear your sons side of the story. you, being a seasoned pilot and in control of the craft, would have a good sense of what was happing around you. i would imagine that with your experienced reflexes and your mind reacting to the moment it would not let your mind go crazy. your son on the other hand, not knowing, was dropping bricks. i know i would be.
glad to hear that all are safe and good to hear your getting right back on the horse.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
WOW, that's amazing. I once lost a an engine in the same fashion flying a Cessna P-210, 6-seater. The failure mode was the same, big pop, no pressure, no engine. Unfortunately my engine blew just minutes into the flight just as I cleared the end of the runway and was making my initial climb. The Cuyahoga County airport, my home base is located in a very populated residential area. I was praying that I wouldn't take a house and family out with me as the risk of dropping into someone's backyard was very high. The tower cleared me for landing on the same runway I used to become airborne, but I radioed back that it would be impossible to fly a full pattern and return to the way I came. I bascically had to do a hammerhead stall, swing the nose in the opposite direction and set it down backwards from the direction I came. The runway was lined with fire equipment and ironically my landing was one of the smoothest squeakers ever. Once the plane came to rest, a truck hooked her up and towed me into the tie-down area. I was happy to be on the ground! I didn't have to go through the ordeal Chip did with transporting the plane, as it was my home airport. I just got in my car and decided to drive to my destination that day.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Decades ago (but I remember like it was yesterday), my brother-in-law and his wife flew their Piper Cherokee 6 from Columbus OH to DC, picked up me and my wife, and off we went to the Bahamas. Flew through the night, gassed up at Port St Lucie, then headed out over the ocean. Chuck made a few obscure spidey-sense comments about the airplane feel. We got to talking about engine hours and maintenance, and he said that he had just had a cylinder rebuilt. It seemed odd to me to rebuild cylinders at different times, but I know nothing about airplane engines.

Returning from our wonderful vacation, we were over SC when we heard a bang and the airplane began vibrating badly. I remember a stab of pain in my lower back, which I can only attribute to a huge jolt of adrenaline. Chuck immediately put out a MAYDAY and asked for a vector to the nearest airport. The guy on the radio told Chuck that if he looked straight down, he should see Walterboro airport. We were at 7,000 feet with the engine throttled back and still vibrating badly, and did a normal descent. As soon as we touched down, Chuck throttled back and the engine quit. When we got out, we saw the entire bottom of the airplane was covered with oil and dripping on the taxiway.

It turned out that the recently rebuilt cylinder had the wrong piston rings. I vaguely recall something about chrome on chrome or something like that. I don't recall how the litigation that ensued turned out.

We all spent some time thinking about the 90 miles of shark-infested water we had just flown over.

Almost as exciting was the touch-and-go at O'Hare in a 757 due to another airplane crossing the runway in front of us. :ack

gtinmyblood

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 23, 2007
Mesa Az/Aspen Co
Pretty damn glad that you're still with us Chip! Hell of an experience for Charley.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Decades ago (but I remember like it was yesterday), my brother-in-law and his wife flew their Piper Cherokee 6 from Columbus OH to DC, picked up me and my wife, and off we went to the Bahamas. Flew through the night, gassed up at Port St Lucie, then headed out over the ocean. Chuck made a few obscure spidey-sense comments about the airplane feel. We got to talking about engine hours and maintenance, and he said that he had just had a cylinder rebuilt. It seemed odd to me to rebuild cylinders at different times, but I know nothing about airplane engines.

Returning from our wonderful vacation, we were over SC when we heard a bang and the airplane began vibrating badly. I remember a stab of pain in my lower back, which I can only attribute to a huge jolt of adrenaline. Chuck immediately put out a MAYDAY and asked for a vector to the nearest airport. The guy on the radio told Chuck that if he looked straight down, he should see Walterboro airport. We were at 7,000 feet with the engine throttled back and still vibrating badly, and did a normal descent. As soon as we touched down, Chuck throttled back and the engine quit. When we got out, we saw the entire bottom of the airplane was covered with oil and dripping on the taxiway.

It turned out that the recently rebuilt cylinder had the wrong piston rings. I vaguely recall something about chrome on chrome or something like that. I don't recall how the litigation that ensued turned out.

We all spent some time thinking about the 90 miles of shark-infested water we had just flown over.

Almost as exciting was the touch-and-go at O'Hare in a 757 due to another airplane crossing the runway in front of us. :ack

Not much separating you in that instance from having an rather interesting experience to being a statistic.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Another great Chip story! And I too am very glad all turned out safely for all.

But to our non-flying owners, this is what training is all about. Pilots are taught many things, certainly among one of the most important is handling emergencies. These can and do frequently occur in different degrees.

Loss of an engine is always a major emergency, but where in the flight is equally important. Chip's experence and methodical instrument scan of the oil pressure at altitude cruise alerted him early into the failure as to an upcoming issue. Altitude is certainly your friend even if you glide like a rock....you still glide some. Most importantly it gives the pilot options. (which Chip detailed by altering his destination to a maintence facility airport)

Tim's P-210 (a big, heavy single engine airplane) failure experience is one of the worst as the failure was unexpected AND without altitude to provide options. Statistics show takeoff engine failures are very frequently fatal. Even in piston engine twin engine aircraft. Saying goes the second engine just takes you to the scene of the accident. Hammerhead turns at 500' AGL to attempt a 180 course reversal, FLYING and configuring the plane which is primary and telling the tower you have an emergency is VERY difficult to live through.

Both Chip and Tim exhibited exceptional pilot skills to save their bacon. But that is the value of keeping current and training. Thanks for sharing your stories guys!!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Nice work Chip! Thats what we practice for! Glad it turned out ok.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
It would be very interesting to hear your sons side of the story. You, being a seasoned pilot and in control of the craft, would have a good sense of what was happening around you. I would imagine that with your experienced reflexes and your mind reacting to the moment it would not let your mind go crazy. Your son on the other hand, not knowing, was dropping bricks.

Viva,

It was certainly more difficult for Charley than for me because he was in the dark about what was going on, but he knew it was probably bad. In the hours before every airshow, when my mind had the luxury of wandering, I was always nervous thinking about what could go wrong. But once I was cleared in to start my show, all of those thoughts were forced out and the singular focus of flying in that moment close to the ground with much at stake, brought on a state of calm. It was like that every time and I had the same experience after my engine quit. Instead of getting more excited, I could only think about the task at hand and I wasn't able to worry about anything. The only thought that did pop into my head was, "This must be what it's like to land the Space Shuttle". Charley didn't have any such mission to concentrate on so his mind was racing. Still, he followed instructions and was as cool as could be expected.

Chip

Last edited:

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Glad it turned out ok. Any final word on what failed in the engine?

In my 25 years of flying - only 1 engine failure, when I was a student pilot. Remember it like it was yesterday. Landed in a field / no issues (fuel line broke off the POS 172 I was training in).

Nicely done Chip!