Recommendation for good traffic lawyer in Austin, TX

crb

Aug 9, 2009
Got ticketed for doing 95 in a 65. Cops have little sympathy for "it doesn't feel like I was going that fast my GT." :biggrin

Note to self...remember to turn the radar detector when leaving the garage.

Do any of you have a good traffic lawyer you can recommend? Thanks!!!

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Got ticketed for doing 95 in a 65. Cops have little sympathy for "it doesn't feel like I was going that fast my GT." :biggrin

Do any of you have a good traffic lawyer you can recommend? Thanks!!!

1. Ask for 90 days deferred adjudication.

2. Defensive driving. You can take it online.

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Nice first post:lol

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Since you are 30 over you will need to ask the judge if you can take defensive driving. That is the way to go if you can get them to go for it. If not call colvin automotive and ask for Ken. He is one of my hill country drive buddies. He has a good traffic lawyer.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Note to self...remember to turn the radar detector (on) when leaving the garage.

...or maybe you might wanna remember to cool it just a bit in the right foot dept! :lol

(Hint: 'detectors won't do you a darn bitta good against a "bear in the air"...OR wunna those "instant on" 'guns...or a tailing "ghost" car...or...:wink)

'Judishshus' Pockets

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
EP got it right but forgot to mention for laser you need a jammer to have 1/2 a chance. Of course just take some "driving" lessons from EP and you will never get another ticket. :lol

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
EP got it right but forgot to mention for laser you need a jammer to have 1/2 a chance. Of course just take some "driving" lessons from EP and you will never get another ticket. :lol

I give up.........:sleep::sleep::sleep:

(Incidently, the laser was covered under that last "or". As were a couple OTHER things...)

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
Spirit said he has a good attorney. By the way, he said the attorney handled four moving violations for him. He told a group of us this AFTER leading us for about 100 miles at 90 - 100 mph on the way to Rally IV. We all thought he knew what he was doing.

Actually, I guess he did know - we didn't get any tickets.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Spirit said he has a good attorney. By the way, he said the attorney handled four moving violations for him. He told a group of us this AFTER leading us for about 100 miles at 90 - 100 mph on the way to Rally IV. We all thought he knew what he was doing.

Actually, I guess he did know - we didn't get any tickets.

But, HE did get 4! Sooooooooooo...:rofl:rofl:rofl

(Jus' SHUDDUP, Pockets!)

crb

Aug 9, 2009
...indeed...clearly I should have been watching my speedo more closely...and been more conservative with my right foot. I don't make a habit of traveling at those kind of speeds. I was stuck behind a clump of cars, getting frustrated, a lane opened up, I saw my opportunity to get around them...and....ohhhmahgawwwwd....wheeee! "Really, officer, I was going that fast?" Alas, hindsight is 20/20. My first speeding ticket in 15 years. Thanks for the advice and recommendations. I really appreciate the quick response.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006

You should also wire your radar detector to go on/off with the ignition. This is the only way to do it if you're over 40.... it's hard enough to remember where you're going. :biggrin

crb

Aug 9, 2009
Great idea. Fully agree.:thumbsup

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Last time I got pulled over (in the BMW) here locally the LEO gave me a warning because he KNEW I was careful in the GT. He'd been trying to catch me speeding in it so he could look at it. :lol I just told him next time he saw me out just flag me down ... :thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Last time I got pulled over (in the BMW) here locally the LEO gave me a warning because he KNEW I was careful in the GT. He'd been trying to catch me speeding in it so he could look at it. :lol I just told him next time he saw me out just flag me down ... :thumbsup

...do you still carry your autographed, "I am a friend of the Chief", 'card next to your 'license? :rofl

BTW...uh...the phone call? :shrug

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
...do you still carry your autographed, "I am a friend of the Chief", 'card next to your 'license? :rofl

BTW...uh...the phone call? :shrug

moved into another county .. so that card don't work anymore. :lol

sorry got sidetracked with work will catch you tomorrow afternoon.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
moved into another county .. so that card don't work anymore. :lol

sorry got sidetracked with work will catch you tomorrow afternoon.

:wink

Gulf GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 9, 2006
California
Years ago (25+) I just paid the ticket. Got stopped doing 127mph in a Porsche just outside Austin. Four police cars showed up to greet me after I came to a stop. The cop that got me said that I had my wheels locked up for a good few seconds before he hit me with the radar gun (he was right). They were actually pretty cool. They looked my car over and we talked for a few minutes, then he wrote me up for 80 and let me go. I told them that I had just got my car back from being in the shop for a couple months (my brother wrecked it when I let him borrow it, but that's another story). They were very polite and cool. It pays to be nice.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Years ago (25+) I just paid the ticket. Got stopped doing 127mph in a Porsche just outside Austin. Four police cars showed up to greet me after I came to a stop. The cop that got me said that I had my wheels locked up for a good few seconds before he hit me with the radar gun (he was right). They were actually pretty cool. They looked my car over and we talked for a few minutes, then he wrote me up for 80 and let me go. I told them that I had just got my car back from being in the shop for a couple months (my brother wrecked it when I let him borrow it, but that's another story). They were very polite and cool. It pays to be nice.

Yes it can, but not every time. I am always extremely nice until they start writing (or typing now here in Texas), then I just shut up. Doesn't do any good to voice anything once they start the citation. When I was in HS, decades ago, I had a 67 Datsun 2000 Convert ( PL510 Jeff should know the car). It was way kool. Rollbar, Jag seats, headers, dual exhaust, chrome reverse 4bolt Chevy II wheels, quite loud and actually very fast for a 4cyl. I was downtown (yep, people actually went there back in the day) and was leaving a DeMolay meeting and wanted to show out. I lit the tires up for about a half a city block and combined with the noise drew a few looks including the local LEO. Embarrassed, I pulled over and apologetically told him it was very immature of me to show out in front of my friends and that I should not have done it. He said that "I had the right attitude" and let me go.:thumbsup

Another more recent infraction was 4 days after having a car stolen at gunpoint I was pulled over in my SS Chevy pu going home from work. 4 lane residential area. Mini-van in the left lane, me in the right lane side-by-side. Officer on motorcycle approaching. He said he clocked me at 43 in a 30. I mentioned the van but he assured me that it was me that was speeding. I said could you perhaps give me a warning?......I recently had my car stolen and would appreciate the kindness. He said that he was familiar with the theft incident (quoted me the color and make) and said that I would be receiving a citation. I shut up.:frown

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
(my brother wrecked it when I let him borrow it, but that's another story).

...'an aspiring valet, I take it? :biggrin

('Sorry! 'Couldn't resist!)

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Try this tact in court:

"Your Honor, I understand I was 30 miles per hour over the limit. While I was not reckless in my driving, I recognize my speed was far above the posted limit. However, may I suggest that your Honor take the GT for a test drive and see how seemingly impossible it is to drive the car near posted speeds? Furthermore, (and do only if Judge is heterosexual male) may I suggest your Honor take the car to one of the better dining establishments in the area and witness the reaction that beautiful and available young women have towards the GT? I think you will acknowledge the inherent increase in endorphins that GT stimulates and you will soon understand my predicament. Every Patriotic and Red Blooded American Male should be afforded the opportunity to possess such a car, if for only a short while. I think after driving my car you will better understand my error, and that it was a temporary one at that.
May it please the court that your Honor consider my suggestion and immediately dismiss my case.
Thank you, your Honor.":wink:thumbsup