Soft Top finally done & tested

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Hello all X1 owners. I'm happy to announce that our wait for a soft top is finally over. This has been in development since 2007. I want to give a huge THANK YOU to Steve Hemstock for taking this job on, and persevering through some really difficult challenges. Shadowman, for all his time on how to make the parts friendlier to the cars, the machinist, and us owners. And I can't leave out Kip for his advice on various parts of the project. Big :thumbsup to all of you.

The price from Steve is $6,500. You will need to contact him for instructions on what he needs to get your top done. It's basically a pattern that is drawn onto a piece of plastic he'll provide you with. His number is 715-702-2727.

Steve tested the car to little over 100, and reported that there is no wind noise, and no squeaking. He's to chicken to drive my car any faster. :lol He also poured water down the back and nothing got through. You might notice the water stains in the photo, those are from the previous Genaddi supplied window.:frown There is a concern in the triangle A Pillar / Door area that might leak if the car is sitting in a downpour. I'm hoping that Kips new door cap will help, the car will be going to him after a visit to the GT Guys later this week.

The top can be stowed behind the seats, or in the front bonnet. :wink

Since photo's are always a must on this forum......
Top on
IMGP6699.jpg

Rear View, real glass
IMGP6702.jpg

Inside View Rear Glass
IMGP6720.jpg

Top Bars, even though it doesn't show well these are White. I'm thinking of having the stripes carried through the other parts on the back as well, but I'll have that done out here.
IMGP6716.jpg

Top and side bars, the one on the drivers door is off.
IMGP6710.jpg

Rear View doors open
IMGP6722.jpg

Notice the GTX1 on the underside of the bars. Those are courtesy lights.:thumbsup
IMGP6697.jpg

Thank god this is finally over. :thumbsup

Last edited:

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
The craftmanship looks precise and the courtesy lights are one of the coolest things I've ever seen, Rick. WOW! :eek

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Looks great! Thank you for all you have done for all the other GTX1 owners. I am sure they appreciate having a guy like you on their side!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow, look great.

Who is going to volunteer for high speed testing of the top at Rally IV during the TX mile?

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Wow, look great.

Who is going to volunteer for high speed testing of the top at Rally IV during the TX mile?

Me, Me, Me, ohhh pick me!!!!! :biggrin

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Steve sure does nice work!!
I am glad for you !

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
Very nice work :thumbsup

--

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Thanks Rick, et al. It looks great! I'll call Steve Monday. :cheers

Aug 25, 2006
Hello all X1 owners. I'm happy to announce that our wait for a soft top is finally over. This has been in development since 2007. I want to give a huge THANK YOU to Steve Hemstock for taking this job on, and persevering through some really difficult challenges. Shadowman, for all his time on how to make the parts friendlier to the cars, the machinist, and us owners. And I can't leave out Kip for his advice on various parts of the project. Big :thumbsup to all of you.

The price from Steve is $6,500. You will need to contact him for instructions on what he needs to get your top done. It's basically a pattern that is drawn onto a piece of plastic he'll provide you with. His number is 715-702-2727.

Steve tested the car to little over 100, and reported that there is no wind noise, and no squeaking. He's to chicken to drive my car any faster. :lol He also poured water down the back and nothing got through. You might notice the water stains in the photo, those are from the previous Genaddi supplied window.:frown The car hasn't been through a downpour yet, but Steve feels confident that it shouldn't leak.

The top can be stowed behind the seats, or in the front bonnet. :wink

Since photo's are always a must on this forum......
Top on
IMGP6699.jpg

Rear View, real glass
IMGP6702.jpg

Inside View Rear Glass
IMGP6720.jpg

Top Bars, even though it doesn't show well these are White. I'm thinking of having the stripes carried through the other parts on the back as well, but I'll have that done out here.
IMGP6716.jpg

Top and side bars, the one on the drivers door is off.
IMGP6710.jpg

Rear View doors open
IMGP6722.jpg

Notice the GTX1 on the underside of the bars. Those are courtesy lights.:thumbsup
IMGP6697.jpg

Thank god this is finally over. :thumbsup

Thank you for the wonderful comments

This was truly a very long project with numerous parcels back and forth between Steve and I as we used another owner's GTX-1 aka Piana to create the patterns and confirm the fit and then ultimately Rick's gal was the first to receive the final hardware. At this time Piana's top is being created.

Takes care

Shadowman

Kelly-X1

Ex GT Owner (Temporarily)
Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Is there any drilling required or it's just all held in place by pressure of the frame? I need this, what's the production schedule and estimated delivery if I arrange payment Mon/Tues.

Looks awesome, great work.

Aug 25, 2006
Is there any drilling required or it's just all held in place by pressure of the frame? I need this, what's the production schedule and estimated delivery if I arrange payment Mon/Tues.

Looks awesome, great work.

Yes it requires fitting to the gal

There is a bar that is mounted within the front header and then two quick disconnect fasteners installed behind the seats.

The process is not difficult.

Production is under way as such getting your payment in will insure you a system in short order.

Takes care

Shadowman

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
My thanks to all involved! Bill, especially to you for working with me as far back as the time spent with the Genaddi people. Are we still going with a dark blue color? Hope so.
Tom

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
Rick,
Many thanks to you also for making your car availible and your involvement in many ways to move this project forward and finally to completion!
Tom

Shelby#18

GTX1 Owner/Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Nev./So. Cal./Minn.
Thanks Rick, et al. It looks great! I'll call Steve Monday. :cheers

Rick,
Many thanks to you also for making your car availible and your involvement in many ways to move this project forward and finally to completion!
Tom

Thanks guys, it's been a long time in coming. I'm happy for us all, now there will be no excuse for not coming to the Rally! :biggrin

Aug 25, 2006
My thanks to all involved! Bill, especially to you for working with me as far back as the time spent with the Genaddi people. Are we still going with a dark blue color? Hope so.
Tom

You are welcome and yes sir

Shadowman

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
You guys have done so much work on this, I hate to ask for more, but I'm hesitant to do any drilling on the car. Is there any way you can post just a couple of more pics showing a closer shot of the actual attachment points? I'm sending my car up to gt guys this week and trying to collect just a little more info. A close up of the header bar and quick connect fasteners behind the seat would be a huge help.
thanks so much,
gtx-007

Aug 25, 2006
You guys have done so much work on this, I hate to ask for more, but I'm hesitant to do any drilling on the car. Is there any way you can post just a couple of more pics showing a closer shot of the actual attachment points? I'm sending my car up to gt guys this week and trying to collect just a little more info. A close up of the header bar and quick connect fasteners behind the seat would be a huge help.
thanks so much,
gtx-007

I understand your concern however consider this;

The gal did not come with the solicited top because it was never finished however if it had been there would have been the applicable holes drilled.

In this case there are a couple small holes drilled in the front header within the trough that secures the recessed bar to which the front of the canvass slides into and then at the rear behind the headrest there is a solo hole drilled on both sides with a Riv-Nut is installed which is used to secure the rear assembly in position; an assembly that has a true glass back window.

When you remove the top the holes behind the seat are not only hidden but there is also a nice thumb screw that is inserted so that it looks nice. As for the retaining bar located in the front trough; there is no reason for it to ever be removed.

Now it is not my desire to encourage anything but rather to share that once integrated it looks nice and serves at least 3 significant purposes;

1.Sun screen for the summer during which the A/C can be used and enjoyed
2.An element of security aka peace of mind when remotely parked
3.Protection from rain should you find yourself caught in it; no it is not 100% water tight however it is a great stop gap measure.

All the best with your decision

Shadowman

Kelly-X1

Mark IV Lifetime
May 24, 2009
RV-Nomad, USA
Thanks Shadowman,
I am new to GT ownership and the forum, but one thing I've gathered so far is that you are held in high esteem on the board and I can't imagine anything but a top-notch presentation coming from your operation. I have put the top on my shopping list, expect an order from gt guys in the next week.
thanks,

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Shadowman,
I am new to GT ownership and the forum, but one thing I've gathered so far is that you are held in high esteem on the board and I can't imagine anything but a top-notch presentation coming from your operation. I have put the top on my shopping list, expect an order from gt guys in the next week.
thanks,

Well then; welcome aboard

Now as for the kind words as shared; they are greatly appreciate however let me be clear; the GTX-1 is a wonderful gal and one that most IMO will find even greater enjoyment having some sort of a top option however it is important to understand and accept that these are "roadsters" and the canvass top even though a wonderful addition is exactly this; an addition to rather than a component of.

I welcome your call or email any time should you have any questions

All the best

Shadowman

Andy

GT Owner
Jun 6, 2006
Soft top

I am also interested in this top for my GTX 1. Who does the fitting? I live in Colorado.