Custom clamshell vents!!!!!! Phase 1 of 2

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Over the last couple of months KDO GT and I have taken a project of custom clamshell vents to a local machinist and this is what we have come up with. The first picture is of the one vent installed with the stock vent still in place and the next picture is of the inside of the clamshell showing the fasteners used in the process. The next two pictures are of them both installed and ready to go. The Billet Ford GT vents are machined out of Virgin 6061 T65 Aluminum Bar stock as it starts off weighing in at over 20 + Lbs and is cut down with Carbide end-mills to that of just over a pound and a half each. The Carbide is a preferred cutter over High Speed and Cobalt because the finishes are second to none in the machining world and leave very little to no chatter ,They are also the most expensive and not always used by most shops because of the extra cost . We also ran spring passes on all process for the nicest finish possible as well as a tighter tolerance, This adds much time to the machining process but is well worth it for the finished part. The Manufacture of these vents is well known in the automotive world, And has been working and designing parts for ford racing and ford motor company since 1999. He spent weeks on several designs until the final concept stood out and then he went through painstaking time of reverse engineering the plastic part from scratch to work with our design. I think the results speak for themselves as the Beautiful Radius and curves catch light at every angle and draw your eyes to a already Amazing car. We retained in the design the extended bosses as this caused us to use a much thicker piece of aluminum and required more machine work but the results are that when the part is tightened the clam shell is not over stressed because the inner and outer shell cannot be over tightened. Also The hardware used on this vent is polished stainless Button socket head cap screws with washers which gives it much nicer and cleaner install over a stud and nut combo. As it stands right now he has made two total sets of vents and is planing on doing the next five sets this week so due to the enormous amount of work to set up the CNC please PM me if you are interested in a set as I will be the liaison and make sure everything goes smooth within this transaction. If we get enough response beyond the first five I could make an attempt to talk with our machinist and get a group buy going but we will need to have a total head count within one week to avoid the machinist from taking down the machines that are set up to manufacture these vents. Please keep in mind that I am not affiliated at all with our machinist as I am only going to help each member to ensure a smooth transaction. I did speak with Shelby a couple of weeks ago about our project and he mentioned the OEM version that he was working on so this is an alternative to the stock OEM vents that he will be providing. Our machinist has put a price on these vents at $850 per set plus shipping. The next phase of this project will be the side vents (OEM style and custom) and we should have the completed project in one month or so and I will post pictures as soon as they are done. I will be heading out of town on Monday for a week with limited access to the Internet so if I don't get right back to you please be patient as I will contact you as soon as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_4527.jpg
    IMG_4527.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,389
  • IMG_4523.jpg
    IMG_4523.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,382
  • IMG_4534.jpg
    IMG_4534.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,396
  • IMG_4538.jpg
    IMG_4538.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,393
Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wow!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
WOW! I like those. Nice job. Im interested.
Any idea if they vent the heat as well as the stock vents? That is a concern, but I really like those

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
looks good, but I echo Shelby's question.

Aug 25, 2006
You and your machinist did a great job.

Thank you for sharing the project

Takes care

Shadowman

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
looks good, but I echo Shelby's question.

We did take this in consideration during the design process and here is the answer directly from the machinist.

Hi John,

The area is more than enough to cool the car. Each opening is almost 2 of the plastic ones. Its a optical illusion because of the ball mill opening. They are much taller than the plastic ones. and are back cut on the bottom side to allow more air flow than the oem. Also with the raised bosses over the back deck creates a bigger pressure drop which will pull the air faster than a vent level with the back deck ( Original design).

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
cool. Will have to try them out :)

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Cool !! Very Interesting design ...

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
nice!

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
I am interested as well. Cool looking Design!!!

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
You and your machinist did a great job.

Thank you for sharing the project

Takes care

Shadowman

Thanks Shadowman but I can't take all of the credit as Kevin (KDO GT) had a much larger hand into this project than I did.:cheers

CJ428

Farm GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 21, 2008
NJ
They look very different. I wood be interested in a set of those to,as well as Shelby's stock configuration billet pieces.

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
They look very different. I wood be interested in a set of those to,as well as Shelby's stock configuration billet pieces.

OK, cj428 I will put you on my list and I will contact you next week for shipping and payment details. :cheers

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
:thumbsup

These look great!! Especially on a black car. How about Red? are there any pictures on other colored cars?

Aug 25, 2006
:thumbsup

These look great!! Especially on a black car. How about Red? are there any pictures on other colored cars?

Triheart7

I have seen not pictures of them inserted on a red gal as the black gal in the pictures is (as I understand) number one to have received them however I suspect that they would look very nice.

IMO they ultimately show be anodized, powder coated, or painted so as to keep the machined surfaces from corroding.

Now any of these processes can be used with a clear low luster material and still retain the machined looked if this is the desire.

Takes care

Shadowman

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Thanks Bill,

So far my vents are holding up nicely. I really like what has been done with this project and sometime in the future may go with these beautiful works of art. :thumbsup

I was wondering if anyone had addressed the smaller black side vents? Mine tend to curl out at he ends. They go back when I push them in, but I need to do this regularly.

Kevin

Aug 25, 2006
Thanks Bill,

So far my vents are holding up nicely. I really like what has been done with this project and sometime in the future may go with these beautiful works of art. :thumbsup

I was wondering if anyone had addressed the smaller black side vents? Mine tend to curl out at he ends. They go back when I push them in, but I need to do this regularly.

Kevin

You are welcome

The side vents are his Phase 2 of this project; I think that they are already in the production "Q"

Takes care

Shadowman

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
New design thats a Yes

How much? The new design would be great on my black GT.

Billy

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
How much? The new design would be great on my black GT.

Billy

$850 plus shipping:thumbsup
Let me know there are only a couple left from this batch.

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
P.M.

PM sent.........GO BLU