USA vs CANADIAN

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
Does anyone know if there is any differance in US GT vs Canadian, and what about value...

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Does anyone know if there is any difference in US GT vs Canadian, and what about value...

The rear bumper is "bigger" to meet Canadian standards, and all Canadian GT's came with or without SOMETHING (Mac? Optional wheels?) to offset a weight requirement of some kind too, I think.

But, the value mile for mile, option for option, color for color, should be the same (forgetting "exchange rate") I would think. 'No reason not to be.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Actually, the values are not the same. We are offered Canadian cars all the time at a discount and do not buy them as 95% of our buyers wont take a canadian car (not sure why). Canadian cars did NOT have the McIntosh option. Also the rear bumper sticks out further and is a bit heavier than ours. Hope this helps.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Actually, the values are not the same. We are offered Canadian cars all the time at a discount and do not buy them as 95% of our buyers wont take a canadian car (not sure why).

But, ya think that is also true re: a Canadian buyer IN Canada, Shelby? That's how I interpreted the question 'Racing was asking.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I dont think he is asking about canadian buyers, but canadian cars. I would assume the canadian cars would be worth a little more to a canadian buyer. Anyway, I am just stating what I am seeing. I have had numerous Canadian GTs offered to me as of late. They have been offered to most dealers through WHOLESALE sites. They all seem to be alot cheaper than US spec cars yet are still not selling. Like I said, dont really know why...... this is just what I am seeing.

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
Canadian cars do not have the subwoofer or upgrade macintosh stereo and have the heavier bumpers or 10km bumpers. Speedometer has the KMs as well as mph. Otherwise identical and only came as a 2006. No 2005 model.

H

HHGT

Side Stripes Says - FORD GTA

Aug 25, 2006
FYI the rear bumper is exactly the same as US spec; the only difference is a spacer that was put in place and can quickly be removed.

Within the nose of the gal the impact styro-foam is a different material however no one would ever know the difference.

The headlights are programmed to remain on all the time however this too can be easily changed.

No Mac as stated however as for the speedo I did not think that they were different because the US version shows both measurements of speed.

Now why they would be less is speculation at best because in the end they are the same car.

Takes care

Shadowman

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Canuck, there was a run of about 100 Canadian cars in the middle of US production. The last 200 or so cars produced in 2006 (September) were Canadian as US type production had to cease in accordance with US law. I believe these were listed as '05 MY production. When we toured Saleen and Wixom at Rally I. many of the parts waiting for attachment were the Canadian variations. Total Canadian car count was around 300. CobraJeff or Quickdraw will have accurate numbers.

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
So lets see; the same car, less money, and less than 1/10th the production numbers. Sounds kinda like the makings of the same stories we've all heard before with some muscle cars in the 60's with why-would-you-buy-that features like a bench seat and vinyl roof. Don't you just have to believe 20 years from now some people might pay more for that history and exclusivity?

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
IMHO Canadian cars will never be worth more than American cars.
The market price for almost all cars world wide are dictated by American buyers. If American's think that is important it may but as shelbyelite most correctly indicates Americans want American designated cars. Canadian cars are a good deal for Americans to get a GT to drive mod and beat on but less desirable as a collectors item. It will probably always be a second to the "American" designated GT. Given the choice of owning a Canadian car and an American car given these cars value are influenced by the American market I would take an American car.

In regards to parts and build date, all Canadian GTs were 2006. First cars came in March 2006 to Canada and were sold as 2006 irrelevant of built date. Ford did not offer the 2005 model but after pressure from the Canadian dealers agreed to sell some for 2006 with the new bumpers to meet law requirements and as Shadowman pointed out had daylight running lights as required by law again. The first lot were sold in March 2006 as a 2006 model year and prior to final production, after the American new laws for crash testing came into effect a second and final run of GT production was run for Canada. (Make a few more bucks for Ford prior to closing down production). That was why the last GTs built were Canadian. I guess the other difference is the Canadian cars given they were 2006 would not have a bug screen in the front intake. Wasn't that one difference between the 2005 and 2006 models?

Last edited:

nsfkid

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2007
Port Credit Ontario
I feel the market value North of the border is the same for U.S or Canadian market cars(Ford GT's)
Most Canadians used to view U.S cars with certain stigma, but that now has disappeared due to high volume of U.S cars coming across the border & generally better prices
(I am talking about cars generally) But I do find that most U.S. dealers do value grey market & Canadians cars at discounted rate.
I am a used car dealer here in Toronto, when I purchase cars in Florida and there is a Canadian car going through the auction block It will not pull the same money as a local FL car & I will normally do better by re-importing the car back up north.
As for my personal opinion I perfer a local car, as well most of the Canadian cars were late production & I am not a great fan of the Mac stereo (sub Location:thumbsdow)

Comes down to personal preference, the cars are the same
Mike H

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Are there any legal issues bringing a Canadian car into the US?

GERMANORACING

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Farmington CT USA
I dont think he is asking about canadian buyers, but canadian cars. I would assume the canadian cars would be worth a little more to a canadian buyer. Anyway, I am just stating what I am seeing. I have had numerous Canadian GTs offered to me as of late. They have been offered to most dealers through WHOLESALE sites. They all seem to be alot cheaper than US spec cars yet are still not selling. Like I said, dont really know why...... this is just what I am seeing.

Correct Shelby, That is what I was asking and thats what it looks like , it seems that the same 2 cars , (U.S/Canadian) that the U.S buyer is not interested in buying the Canadian car or at the least it would need to be thousands $$$$ cheaper and like you said, don't know why...........

Last edited:

Pantera1

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 12, 2008
Iowa
Canuck, there was a run of about 100 Canadian cars in the middle of US production. The last 200 or so cars produced in 2006 (September) were Canadian as US type production had to cease in accordance with US law. I believe these were listed as '05 MY production. When we toured Saleen and Wixom at Rally I. many of the parts waiting for attachment were the Canadian variations. Total Canadian car count was around 300. CobraJeff or Quickdraw will have accurate numbers.

Was stopping production for the US in the fall of '06 due to new crash testing requirements? (that is mentioned in a later post). It doesn't seem to make sense to implement something like that during the fall. Don't most car companies start their next year model production around June or so? :confused

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Yes, it was due to the newer bumper regulations. Ford set the limit on the number of cars to be built and continued to build until they met that number. The cut-off date for the American cars was the end of August. September's run was the last 200 Canadian cars. At Rally I in Detroit, the line workers already knew the lay-offs and new assignments were coming and the Wixom plant would be closed. One of the last batch of 5 American cars were dark blue slated for Carroll Shelby per agreement.

road racer

GT Owner
May 22, 2007
Franklin, TN
Anyone know the VIN of the last built US spec GT???

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
GT Tech or Quickdraw would probably have that info.

cobrajeff

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 5, 2006
Daytona Beach
US vs. Canadian GT's

The last US spec GT built was 6-1870, a Heritage model that was rumored to go to a member of the Ford family.

6-1870.jpg

There were 100 Canadian spec GT's built in February-March, 2006, VIN numbers 6-701 thru 6-798 (plus 6-385 and 6-386, built in Dec., 2005, which were likely used in intro shows and for Canadian PR pics).

An additional 177 cars for Canada were built in August-September, 2006, bringing the total built for Canada to 277 units. These cars ranged from VIN 6-1871 through 6-2045 (the very last car built). All of the cars built for the Canadian market were built as 2006 models.

6-2045.jpg

regards,

Jeff

Last edited:

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
The last US spec GT built was 6-1870, a Heritage model that was rumored to go to a member of the Ford family.

6-1870.jpg

There were 100 Canadian spec GT's built in February-March, 2006, VIN numbers 6-701 thru 6-798 (plus 6-385 and 6-386, built in Dec., 2005, which were likely used in intro shows and for Canadian PR pics).

An additional 177 cars for Canada were built in August-September, 2006, bringing the total built for Canada to 277 units. These cars ranged from VIN 6-1871 through 6-2045 (the very last car built). All of the cars built for the Canadian market were built as 2006 models.

6-2045.jpg

regards,

Jeff

Interesting info .. Thanks Jeff !!