Door sill plate-Tip to prevent scratching

BillyRay

GT Owner
May 5, 2008
Phoenix
Friends,
Before I received my GT I noticed a slight scratch on the sill plate.I see were it is easy to drag the side of your foot across it because its a bitch getting in and out of this awesome piece of machinery.
What I decided to try to prevent any more abuse is to cut a piece of 3M packaging tape about 10 inches long. I applied a piece from the Logo to the start of the stainless. The tape is the same in width as the sill plate. I think it looks almost undetectable.

NOTE: does anyone have a tip on removing a slight scratch from the sill plate?

I also applied the tape to the passenger side, I guess once the tape gets old its easy to replace and its cheap to use.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
The replacements are about $90 For both sides I believe. If they are scratched bad enough, we just replace them. For long term use, I would just buy a spare set and mothball them.....

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
when I had the windshield protector installed for $30 more I had 3M clear bra placed on the whole door sill piece - chrome and magnesium.....

scuffs come right out with lacquer thinner :biggrin

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
The replacements are about $90 For both sides I believe. If they are scratched bad enough, we just replace them. For long term use, I would just buy a spare set and mothball them.....

There are a couple chillin' up in the garage storage space. :cool

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I just left the factory protector sheet (blue-green tint) on the scuff plates. Seems to be working.
Has anyone had any issues doing this?
AJB

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
scratched sill plate

My sill plates are sratched from taking the seats in & out. I covered them a big Shadowman sticker! Can't even see the scratches now.

Ed

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Get them while they're hot.

Shelby gave the best advice here. Those sill plates are available right now and relatively inexpensive. I have a spare set tucked away in my "GT spares" collection. At some point in the future they will not be available and when you do find a set, they'll be very expensive. Although my originals are not scratched, when they do ultimately get scratched its okay because I have a perfect set sitting on my shelf.

Chip

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
the problem with having an extra set is that I would never put them on the car, cause they will get scratced again. so whats the point of having them:biggrin

T_R_S

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2008
Where can I order another set? Thanks

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I put the clear bra film on them .Works great !
Project 321 is coming out with really cool , very cool door sillplates ,oops don't tell anyone !!

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
I put the clear bra film on them .Works great !
Project 321 is coming out with really cool , very cool door sillplates ,oops don't tell anyone !!

you cant tease people like that! spill

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Where can I order another set? Thanks

Email or PM me I will get you hooked with a set

torrie@fastpartsnetwork.com

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I just left the factory protector sheet (blue-green tint) on the scuff plates. Seems to be working.
Has anyone had any issues doing this?
AJB

Andy,

I was doing the same, but then the 'prevailing wisdom' said that if you leave the factory film on, it becomes very difficult to take off after a few heat cycles. Don't know if it's an 'old wives tale' (old GT farts tale), but there ya go. :biggrin

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Get a spare set to keep for the future and some mag wheel polish (like Mothers) to get the scratches out of the ones in the GT. A little bit of elbow grease will keep them lookin' good.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I have a handful of these inbound and will have them on hand in 2 days if anyone wants a spare set.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
for me I would rather not worry about the scratches and if it bothered me I would buy a new set. If you are showing the car then yes do all that extra stuff to protect them. For me driving the car (any car) and not worrying about normal wear and tear is the name of my game.

AJK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Autotrimdesign did my sills as well as many interior areas with paint protection. He made patterns off my car so I'm sure they can make more. They don't include these items in their online offerings. If interested in what they have contact them.

AJK

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I peeled a small corner of the factory 'blue green' film up and it comes up easily with no residue. The car is in Michigan, but has been to all 3 Rallys in some heat.
AJB

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Clear Bra + 1 :thumbsup

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Oh,, there will be some trick custom sill plates coming soon !! They should be a little more scratch resistant !! Watch this space for details !!

Sorry Ron .. I didn't see your post . I guess you,ve been talking to Jake..:wink I just got back in town.. I'll call you tomorrow..

Last edited: