Z06 VS FORD GT video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
looks to my like that when racing at speeds above 100 mph the Z06's better aerodynamics become a factor. just one more reason to mod any car you own because you never know what kind of mods your competition has.

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Road and track ran a test late last year (Thunder Road) in a standng mile with stock z06 and stock gt and the gt did pretty well . The GT's drag coefficient does need some work at .39, especially compared to the c6 at .29

Paul Vincent

Oct 20, 2005
californiacuda, From what I have read on a Corvette site, the C6ZO6 is not at .29, but rather more like .34.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Someone smarter than I once said:

Cd is a good marketing person's method of trying to express drag coefficient in their advertisments. Cd is actually a relative number which defines how slippery a given surface is. We need to know what the absolute drag is (true frontal area x Cd). I had personally measured the true frontal area of my GT and will have to get my notes from work. I have to believe that the GT's Cd is much lower than 0.4! For a car to go 214 MPH with only 550 RWHP, along with it's frontal area makes me guess that it's much closer to 0.3, than 0.4!

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
californiacuda said:
Road and track ran a test late last year (Thunder Road) in a standng mile with stock z06 and stock gt and the gt did pretty well . The GT's drag coefficient does need some work at .39, especially compared to the c6 at .29

It is 0.34, not 0.29.

Lankhoss

May 11, 2006
Loganville, GA
Hello,

I am a Z06 owner and had seen this video on another website. To be honest with you, my take on the video is about the same as most of the guys in this forum. I have a huge respect for both vehicles, I just happen to have the Z06. I have yet to come across a Ford GT while I was in my Corvette, though. I believe the two cars are very closely matched, and I'd put my money on the Ford GT stock for stock. That being said, if anyone is around the Atlanta area and would like to "test" out this theory, please let me know ;-)

I just thought you guys may want to hear a little insight from "the other side"
While I have no problem with some guys going out and having fun in their cars like this (and yes, it IS an entertaining video), I don't think this is a good video for a "comparison" between the two cars.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
DBK said:
For a car to go 214 MPH with only 550 RWHP...

Is all that really matters!

Paul Vincent said:
californiacuda, From what I have read on a Corvette site, the C6ZO6 is not at .29, but rather more like .34.

californiacuda never said anything about the C/D of a Z06 in his last post...

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Fast Freddy said:
looks to my like that when racing at speeds above 100 mph the Z06's better aerodynamics become a factor. just one more reason to mod any car you own because you never know what kind of mods your competition has.

I think the GT has the aero advantage but it is probably fairly close. The Z06 has a lttle advantage in the Cd department where the GT has the advantage in frontal area. FWIW the GT produced downforce vs. lift for the Z06.

In the vid the Z06 puts about two cars on the GT and then speeds away due to the GT driver letting off.

Johnny Speed

GT Owner
Mar 2, 2006
Indiana
The Z06 has a substantial weight advantage too...

Paul Vincent

Oct 20, 2005
50 BMG, You are correct; cc did not say that the ZO6 had a drag coefficient of ..., but as the comparison he cited in the previous sentence was between a ZO6 and a GT (Road and track ran a test late last year (Thunder Road) in a standng mile with stock z06 and stock gt and the gt did pretty well), I wanted to make it clear for all that the ZO6 itself wasn't at .29.

The Great One

Apr 29, 2006
Melbourne, Florida
Rob Ferretti said:
video from another angle.

http://beyondthequarter.com/zvsgt.mpeg

wasn't as bad as the video made it out to be. The last pull where the Z06 pulls away I lifted because I was getting peppered with rocks.

Rob, whats up man? Its Keith's brother (dodgeviper01), we were just watching this vid and were both surprised with the outcome. Do you know what the Z06 dynoed stock?

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
I whooped a 06 Z06 with my GT then the next day spanked him again with my SC Marauder. He was shocked. But nice. :cheers

Lankhoss

May 11, 2006
Loganville, GA
Paul Vincent said:
50 BMG, You are correct; cc did not say that the ZO6 had a drag coefficient of ..., but as the comparison he cited in the previous sentence was between a ZO6 and a GT (Road and track ran a test late last year (Thunder Road) in a standng mile with stock z06 and stock gt and the gt did pretty well), I wanted to make it clear for all that the ZO6 itself wasn't at .29.

I think the confusion is that the C6 Coupe has a cd of .29 or .28, while the Z06 has a cd of .34. Where the Z06 sacraficed aero with the flared fenders, it added downforce to the car. I got mine up to 175 one night, and felt no lift whatsoever....I kept wishing I could take it faster lol

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
GT and ZO6

Well fella's, I own both - '06 Z06 and '06 GT. I have not tracked either yet due to relatively low mileage on both. I can tell you that the two cars are quit different on the road. My first choice...the GT. It is much better planted, much more solid feeling, much better steering, feels quicker off the line and at mid-speed and seems to handle in a more balanced and predictable manner. It's also quieter inside and has a better overall ride quality. Seating is also more comfortable, although the cockpit is much tighter. Of course, the GT can only carry a hanky and two pairs of socks in the storage area. The GT is clearly a core, drivers car. No gimics.

The ZO6, mainly my wifes' car, is a great unit, no doubt. It feels lighter, has better total cockpit ergonomics and sight lines and better space availability. I don't like the Z's seats as much. I find it is noisy inside on anything other than a flat smooth road, not as well built as the GT re quality or materials and the steering is too light. The brakes are wonderful and the shifter is good, but not as good as the GT.

As for dealing with the Chevy dealers vs the Ford dealers, no contest in my case. Ford won, hands down. They knew their product and knew how to sell it and treat their customers.

Finally, at this early stage, nothing gains attention like the GT. It is the center of attention wherever I go. Unfortunately, to all but the very well informed, the ZO6 appears as just another Vette to most folks. Most don't know a ZO6 from a C6 from a C5.

I love both, for what they are. After all, I purchased them both for my collection. As for running them against one another, it's like pro football: "...on any given Sunday...". Let the morons race out on the highways, with their girlfriends or other idots in the cars with them. I respect my cars and life in general too much to get into that these days! :rofl

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Nice summary Stu...

Lankhoss

May 11, 2006
Loganville, GA
Ok, I may be adding headers soon. Any Ford GT's in the Atlanta area want to get together while I'm still stock????? ;-)

Actually, I'd just love to ride with a Ford GT for a cruise. If anyone in the metro area is interested, send me a PM or check out www.sportscarforum.net

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
Lankhoss said:
I think the confusion is that the C6 Coupe has a cd of .29 or .28, while the Z06 has a cd of .34. Where the Z06 sacraficed aero with the flared fenders, it added downforce to the car. I got mine up to 175 one night, and felt no lift whatsoever....I kept wishing I could take it faster lol

right on except the Z06 does not produce downforce......it does have reduced lift as opposed to the C6.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
StuM said:
As for dealing with the Chevy dealers vs the Ford dealers, no contest in my case. Ford won, hands down. They knew their product and knew how to sell it and treat their customers.

The Ford dealers do know how to sell, but part of that was because Ford supplies / supplied the dealers with written information specifically on how to sell the GT - what buttons to push for the consumer, statements to make, history to recite, etc. Know this for a fact - I have a copy.

I don't know how much the dealers really need to "sell the car" to get a sale. I think most buyers already had their mind made up long before they talked to the dealer (let's see, mine was made up in 1966). In fact, we have probably made the dealers life easy - for me it was just agree on the price (which was done over the phone - one phone call for offer and a return call for acceptance) and fill out the papers. I was a perfect buyer for them, and my salesman made full commission. He loved me.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
satx said:
right on except the Z06 does not produce downforce......it does have reduced lift as opposed to the C6.

Probably more details here for $10.

http://www.sae.org/servlets/productDetail?PROD_TYP=PAPER&PROD_CD=2005-01-1943

Fords4life351

Permanent Vacation
Mar 22, 2006
Colton, CA
well it is obvious the original poster wanted to ruffle some feathers here. What is there to discuss? the Z06 beat the Ford GT... let me rephrase that, the modified Z06 beat a stock Ford GT. Thank you captain obvious :bored

Status
Not open for further replies.