Z06 VS FORD GT video

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLP

Jan 21, 2006
Maybe its just because I suffer GT envy but I watched those videos, all I saw was a red Ford GT, didnt really notice anything else.... but I guess thats a point several of you have made! :thumbsup

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Lets get simple here. The top end of a GT is 205?? limited or 212 or 215. The Z06 is 198. Which is faster now?

Both are stupid speeds. You might be safer being the Steelers QB.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I find all such videos more than a little amusing. There are numerous more accurate tests comparing the stock Ford GT and the stock ZO6 on the track (straights and cornering), road, and slalom. They use the same drivers (very important) under similar conditions. Most are aware of these links:
Edmunds review of American exotics:
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=108567/pageNumber=1

Nice video from Automobile magazine:
http://www.automobilemag.com/multimedia/video/0511_z06_gt_viper/

Toward the end of Road and Track mag, there are numbers posted for straight runs and slaloms in stock ZO6 and Ford GT. I believe Evo mag posts similar results

In the vast majority of cases, a stock GT just barely edges out a stock ZO6...but they are so close that on any given day I would wager that the better driver (not the car) would win on the track.

Rarely will any stock car be able to hang with a Ford GT. For most us (myself included), if you are running the GT on a track and are passed by another car, it is the quality of the driving not the car that is beating you.

nomis

Jun 14, 2006
Home Counties, England
Hi guys - I'm a newbie to the GT forum but not to forums as a whole and the one thing that amazes me is how 'serious' people take these videos! :willy

My daily-driver is an E60 M5 and I'm constantly sent links to video 'races' by friends that either favour the E55 AMG Merc or just want/try to provoke me :wink

At the end of the day, these rolling videos - usually shot in the US or UAE - are about as far from scientific as you can get.

As others have already mentioned, there are just too many variables to get a true picture of what the actual performance of the cars is; for instance: -

1) they're on public roads - so much of it has to do with who is willing to risk their lives and the lives of other road users more (or less). I'm in agreement with others - save the racing for the track, closed runways or test tracks. [There are plenty of people in Ford Econo-box cars, who could claim to have 'blown away' an M5 because I have chosen not to 'race' them when baited on public roads.

2) If Cars are tuned, how can you compare them? It's bad enough when you dyno two stock cars - of the same type - because you'll get differences in RW BHP due to manufacturing tolerances; let alone two different cars, one tuned, one not.

3) Drivng skill - too many muppets out there... enough said on that point.

The older you get - or at least I get - the less I'm interested in proving myself to others or entering into pissing contests (or worse, who has the biggest knob :wink ) and the more I focus on the beauty of the car and what it means to me (ie. power, handling, lust-factor).

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
nomis said:
As others have already mentioned, there are just too many variables to get a true picture of what the actual performance of the cars is; for instance: -

1) they're on public roads - so much of it has to do with who is willing to risk their lives and the lives of other road users more (or less). I'm in agreement with others - save the racing for the track, closed runways or test tracks. [There are plenty of people in Ford Econo-box cars, who could claim to have 'blown away' an M5 because I have chosen not to 'race' them when baited on public roads.

2) If Cars are tuned, how can you compare them? It's bad enough when you dyno two stock cars - of the same type - because you'll get differences in RW BHP due to manufacturing tolerances; let alone two different cars, one tuned, one not.

3) Drivng skill - too many muppets out there... enough said on that point.

The older you get - or at least I get - the less I'm interested in proving myself to others or entering into pissing contests (or worse, who has the biggest knob :wink ) and the more I focus on the beauty of the car and what it means to me (ie. power, handling, lust-factor).

Well said. Racing on public roads is just plain stupid.

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
I go back to what I have said in some other posts - WHO CARES?

If I find out a Viper or Z-06 or Blue Devil is actually faster than the GT, I am not going to hang my head or go sell it and buy one of those cars. It is what it is.

Now, if I was REALLY racing (as in LeMans, Daytona - that type of stuff) it would matter if you want to win and your income depended on it, but then it is modified versus modifed and the gloves are off.

But when I am going out to dinner or going for milk, my ego is still fine knowing that I may not be the fastest stock car in the world. Amazing, but some how the universe continues to exist even with that being true.

Like NOMIS said - the older I get the less I care. I am just in it for the ride of my life :biggrin :banana :biggrin :banana

Lankhoss

May 11, 2006
Loganville, GA
Well, I just saw another video of a 430rwhp C5 Z06 running dead even with a Ford GT. This doesn't make any sense to me, I think the car is faster.

Ironically enough, I am a C6 Z06 owner and I am always arguing on the Ford GT's side. Has anyone run into a C6 Z06 on the street and had different results???

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
I don't put much stock in videos. Better comparisons are available from cardrivers from a variety of magazines.
See the links in my reply above to Automobile mag and Edmunds.
Also check out Stig's Top Gear lap times:
http://www.topgear.com/content/tgonbbc2/laptimes/thestig/

And, more recently, the London race at the airport. Top speed went to the McLauren, followed by a Ford GT and then the ZO6.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/5184756.stm

All of these results reflect better on the capabilities of the 2 cars than any amateur video, as most of these involve the same drivers and similar conditions. And of course these are "stock" cars.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
The nice thing about owning a GT is....you don't have to race anybody. You just out class them driving normal down the street. :banana

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Will these arguments ever die. :lol I'd hate to be relegated to justifying to everyone why my car is faster than every other car and that's why I had to choose it...

And I hope you all know my dad can beat up your dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.