Xpel/Clear Wrap on NGT

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
That's a good offer. My installer has the plotter and also cuts his own templates on my installation. The website does at least show all the different pieces

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
Sounds like you will be in good hands! Is he using Xpel , Suntek, or 3M?

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Any Illinois recommendations would be appreciated :)

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
Any Illinois recommendations would be appreciated :)

You are lucky if you are in Illinois. I can help with PPF when you get yours. Have you received your order window yet?

Reactions: Roadtrip

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
Not yet, I was part of the most recent allocation. I think it will be a few months before we hear back from the concierge. This is the first car I've bought where I think PPF is a must from everything I've read.

That's awesome that you're in Illinois, I didn't notice that. I wouldn't be shocked if we received our cars at the same time do to our proximity. (y)

Reactions: SPI

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Proximity means nothing.

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
Proximity means nothing.

I agree.

So how do they decide on the order window?

I submitted my application 2 min to the GMT deadline. Does that mean I may be later on production?

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
This talk about cut paint is semi-scary. Is there a way to easily spot cut paint after the ppf install?

Also, is it standard practice to pry off the hood ornament on a car to install the ppf underneath ?

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
No!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Also, is it standard practice to pry off the hood ornament on a car to install the ppf underneath ?

On the '05-06 my installer always removed the front Ford badge & after the clear film he installed a new badge. On the '19 he didn't remove the badge. He left the badge cutout on the pattern.

Ed

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There is complex matrix Ford used to determine who and when. Think dart board. Makes no difference when you filed your application.

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
As everyone says the installer is the key and if they know what they are doing it will look great and know one will know it's on there unless you know where to look or feel. My preference was to not remove anything even if it required a pre installed cut in the film around the mirrors.

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
This talk about cut paint is semi-scary. Is there a way to easily spot cut paint after the ppf install?

Cuts into the paint will usually be on the edges/borders of the PPF. Do not take PPF Off unless you plan on taking the whole section off.

INSTALLER / CHECKLIST.

#1 MAKE SURE THEY HAVE A PLOTTER
#2 EXPERIENCED OWNER / OPERATOR INSTALLER ( A Decade is good)
#3 IF THEY HAVE TO TRIM ....CUT IT OFF THE CAR NOT ON THE CAR!
#4 10 YEAR Premium FILM by Suntek or XPEL. ( Suntek is a "manufacturer", XPEL does incredible marketing.)
#5 4 POST LIFT or SOME KIND OF LIFT.... Its hard to be the BEST when your on your back, knees, or bent over. I don't care if you are an adult superstar you will get tired and make mistakes.
#6 SUPER CLEAN "WELL LIGHTED" FORMULA 1 WORK SHOP <====== THIS IS A HARD ONE TO FIND. If they put time and money into their own shop then they will most likely put all the effort into your vehicle. If it looks like a BOMB blew up in the shop.......Well you decide.....

#7 ITS WORTH IT WHEN ITS DONE RIGHT!!!!!!

GR
Spi7.com

Last edited:

GT Venum

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 4, 2010
Wisconsin
INSTALLER / CHECKLIST.

#4 10 YEAR Premium FILM by Suntek or XPEL. ( Suntek is a "manufacturer", XPEL does incredible marketing.)
#5 4 POST LIFT or SOME KIND OF LIFT.... Its hard to be the BEST when your on your back, knees, or bent over. I don't care if you are an adult superstar you will get tired and make mistakes.
#6 SUPER CLEAN "WELL LIGHTED" FORMULA 1 WORK SHOP <====== THIS IS A HARD ONE TO FIND. If they put time and money into their own shop then they will most likely put all the effort into your vehicle. If it looks like a BOMB blew up in the shop.......Well you decide.....

GR
Spi7.com

That is a great list.

With the Xpel kits you should not have to remove anything off the car to install the film.

SPI,
Cuts into the paint will usually be on the edges/borders of the PPF. Do not take PPF Off unless you plan on taking the whole section off.

INSTALLER / CHECKLIST.

GR
Spi7.com

SPI

Hope you can help me when I eventually get my GT in a couple of years :))

I will most likely be ordering through Kevin at Pat Milliken Ford in Detroit....

Thanks,
Dave

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
STEK Dynoshield. Top layer of the film is nano ceramic.

20180717_090854.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wow, Gary you now have 3 RED cars. I love it.

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
SPI,

SPI

Hope you can help me when I eventually get my GT in a couple of years :))

I will most likely be ordering through Kevin at Pat Milliken Ford in Detroit....

Thanks,
Dave

It would be my pleasure to help. ;)

Our showroom and shop for 2020 is being designed around the future 2020+ Ford GT. We are located within 4 Miles of Rt.66 Raceway / Chicagoland Speedway / Autobahn Country Club.

We are in the works of creating internal 2020 training video for future installers and existing PPF dealers. This video will only be available for installer/dealer training but I will gladly share the password.

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
here's what they do across the pond..courtesy of Shmee150

SPI

Nov 28, 2018
Chicago
Very Nice expansion and it looks like he has made room for the 4 Post lift!!! Love it ! The Shop Owner is so excited talking about lighting engineers and the additional space!

He needs to do the Windshield and underneath of the car. Maybe gold wheels to match the stripes?

Reactions: Roadtrip