Wrecked GT

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
Shelby...thanks...I am going to call you after I meet with the insurance guy tomorrow to get your opinion on how to proceed!

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Very sorry to hear this. With the resources available here I'm sure it will work out for you. Good luck.

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
I still can't get a response from the insurance company. They don't know how to value the car...diminished, salvaged, totaled, repaired??? It is really crazy but I don't have a good feeling...we will see.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Remember a car is totaled if its cost to repair exceeds approx 70% of the difference between Actual Cash Value before the incident and salvage value. Between the cost of GT repairs and the high salvage value, it does not take much of a hit to total one.

I did not realize that was the Algorithm for a "total".
Thnx for posting that.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
My son was with me and you are right the car is not the important thing here. We are both ok just a little shaken....

It's a scary thing getting hit like that. We were hit by a Class 18 truck a few years ago and I'll never forget it.
We were lucky to survive.
The fact that you are OK is the important one.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I hate to say it but if they are running you around it may be time for them to speak to an attorney...it sucks but some of these guys are just going to ignore you until you become the squeaky wheel.

Glad you and your son are ok.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I hate to say it but if they are running you around it may be time for them to speak to an attorney...it sucks but some of these guys are just going to ignore you until you become the squeaky wheel.

Glad you and your son are ok.

Agreed. Every insurance company paying a loss thinks your car is a 74 Pinto. Their offer will be for you to take it away. A lawyer shouldn't be necessary if your insurance company is on your side. Good luck.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Been there, done that... 3rd party appraisal is where you are going to end up but you'll have to go thru the motions. Have faith, Shelby is a handy guy to have on your side in this scenario?

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
Glad you and your son seem OK, but don't rush the insurance claim until you are sure there are no residual health effects. Sometimes "only shaken" can cause down the road problems.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Yeah and the stress of dealing with a bad faith insurance adjuster can make those symptoms get worse in a hurry.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Glad you and your son seem OK, but don't rush the insurance claim until you are sure there are no residual health effects. Sometimes "only shaken" can cause down the road problems.

'Sage advice, '71.

My eldest daughter was diagnosed with fibromyalgia several months after a wreck. The docs attributed that directly TO the wreck.

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
I still can't get a response from the insurance company. They don't know how to value the car...diminished, salvaged, totaled, repaired??? It is really crazy but I don't have a good feeling...we will see.

You might try asking his insurance company adjuster if he carried only state minimum liability insurance. If so, ask them to just cut a check for the limits of liability and begin working with your uninsured motorist coverage and plan the law suit to recover the remainder. If he had much higher limits, you may eventually recover actual losses.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If so, ask them to just cut a check for the limits of liability and begin working with your uninsured motorist coverage and plan the law suit to recover the remainder.

Wouldn't it be up to one's own ins co to sue for any recovery necessary?

When wifey's car was totaled by an uninsured yo-yo, our u.m. coverage paid the whole 9 yards.

Judging from that, I would assume from our experience that there would be no "remainder" at all in your example. The "under insured motorist" coverage should pay everything above the "liability" limits of the perp's policy, shouldn't it? :shrug

I don't KNOW. I'm asking!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
You have it right EP, I was just suggesting that since the other party's insurance company was having diffeculty determining how to value the claim, that the 'how' may not matter if the limits of liability are say 25 or 30k. Any method of determining loss is going over those limits for a rear end impact. Just cut the check and move on to the next steps. My use of the word 'remainder' was the difference between what the other guys insurance pays and the value of the loss. UM coverage for that, then they try to recover if the guy has assets.

Either way, your insurance company should be dealing with this, not you. There is very little possibiltiy of completing this ordeal without involving your insurance so may as well get them involved up front. You get moving much faster and they go after restitution later if its appropriate. Still going to be a UM claim, not collision.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
You have it right EP, I was just suggesting that since the other party's insurance company was having diffeculty determining how to value the claim, that the 'how' may not matter if the limits of liability are say 25 or 30k. Any method of determining loss is going over those limits for a rear end impact. Just cut the check and move on to the next steps. My use of the word 'remainder' was the difference between what the other guys insurance pays and the value of the loss. UM coverage for that, then they try to recover if the guy has assets.

Either way, your insurance company should be dealing with this, not you. There is very little possibiltiy of completing this ordeal without involving your insurance so may as well get them involved up front. You get moving much faster and they go after restitution later if its appropriate. Still going to be a UM claim, not collision.

:agree: BINGO!

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
does anyone know where i can buy a new bumper and right tail light? thanks

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

Torrie

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006

Any insurance updates?

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
USAA has valued the car at 170,000. and the damage is about 55,000. so they will not total it. The clam shell is the most expensive item which was barely damaged but still needed to be replaced. They are not making things easy in regards to diminished value claim or where the work is done to repair the car. So to answer your question still in limbo a bit.

I will keep you posted...

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
USAA has valued the car at 170,000. and the damage is about 55,000. so they will not total it. The clam shell is the most expensive item which was barely damaged but still needed to be replaced. They are not making things easy in regards to diminished value claim or where the work is done to repair the car. So to answer your question still in limbo a bit.

I will keep you posted...

Hire an attorney and stop torturing yourself. If local Ford dealer, who probably has never done anything but an oil change on the GT, is saying damage is $55k - it is probably way more to do it right, and they won't fix it right anyway. GT Guys have done lots of accident repair. Insist insurance company has them do it, and send it up.