Wrecked GT

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
I have a Midnight Blue GT that was hit from behind by a drunk driver last Tuesday. He was going around 65 miles an hour but believe it or not the car held up pretty well considering the impact. The insurance company towed it to the local ford dealership. I really need to figure out how to proceed with dealing with the insurance company. A part of me wants it totaled and the other wants it fixed, knowing the value has tanked.

I have talked with the GT guys who have been a huge help...but my question is really with the insurance situation. The drunk had some coverage that could be used for the diminished value of the car. $25,000.00. I don't think that will do it???

The Ford Dealership has a collision department that wants to fix it...risky!!!

Any feedback would be appreciated...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Oh man, sorry to hear this. I'm no where nearly as worried about me in the car as the others around me. And we are all glad you are OK. Right?

I would spend the money to have Rich come and look at it.

I would sincerely doubt your Ford body shop's capabilities of dealing with aluminum body panels and the frame, unless they just plan on replacing everything.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Really sorry to hear. What a bonehead, and he's lucky he didn't injure you badly.

I would definitely talk to Shelby and see what he can tell you about the replacement value. Personally, minus sentimental attachment to the car, I would want it totaled. I think a 65 mph rear impact should definitely do that. At this point, fixing the cars is so expensive, it just makes more sense for you to get a new one. Drew at Classic probably has some advice for you as well, having dealt with totaled GTs in the past. His forum username is yogi95. Good luck.

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
My son was with me and you are right the car is not the important thing here. We are both ok just a little shaken....

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Did the air bags pop?

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
No...is that normal?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
No...is that normal?

For a rear ender that would be normal. Front air bags are deployed during a sudden deceleration from a frontal impact.

Last edited:

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
When the insurance gives you a proposal, call me and we will discuss. Ph# 8709318004

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
I will...I have a feeling that they want to fix it even if they can't get it right...but I will say they have been very responsive. USAA

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
Does anyone know what kind of diminished value percent there could be...i have posted pic's before but i have a midnight blue...12k miles...stripe delete...no painted caliphers...but with the other 2 options. Does it get cut in half? I had an offer of 155k recently...???

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
All depends on the amount of damage, etc, but it's easily 20 - 25% deminished value if the damage was extensive

Darthvader

Aug 4, 2007
LufkinTexas
When the insurance gives you a proposal, call me and we will discuss. Ph# 8709318004

I agree with shelby, had a guy backed over my Lambo Super G and he was able to help me with the dimished value situation. It all depends on the value of the repairs.

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Craig - try to get it totalled like we talked about. It can never be properly fixed with that kind of hit. Glad you are okay. Lets go cruising when you get your replacement.

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Shelby is your best friend here. He can help you with the insurance company to make sure you get the correct dollar value.Plus he can sell you a mint Gt with no stories.
A real good guy!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
Keep us posted on how this goes with the guy's insurance. More than likely, after USAA looks at it, they will just cut you a check for his liability limit and walk away, leaving the remainder to you, a lawsuit and your insurance. Your insurance will likely not go for the diminished value claim in most states, you will be much better and easier to settle to total the car. Remember a car is totaled if its cost to repair exceeds approx 70% of the difference between Actual Cash Value before the incident and salvage value. Between the cost of GT repairs and the high salvage value, it does not take much of a hit to total one.

I wish you luck and patience. Lots of it. And yes, Shelby is a real resource on this.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
I have USAA also - please keep us posted.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I will...I have a feeling that they want to fix it even if they can't get it right...but I will say they have been very responsive. USAA

Glad to hear that you and your Son are OK! I am curious to follow your thread, because I have USAA for my auto insurance and want to know how they treat a fellow member!

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
I went to the dealership today and they had all the damaged parts off. There are a lot of questionable things that need to be addressed and I will keep the thread going. I am meeting with the Claims guy tomorrow to see how we proceed. So far USAA has been very good to deal with but got to see once we get to the real cost of repairing. I will be calling some of you for advice once I see how the insurance co. wants to proceed.

Thanks for all the help!

craiger

GT Owner
Feb 19, 2011
Jacksonville, Fl
Where can i get a tail light...according to the ford dealership...tail lights are on back order??

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
I have 1 tail light left I believe. I had three, but just sold two to another forum member the other day....