Wrapping matte car

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Gents -
About to take delivery of a car in matte black paint. Wondering if should wrap it with stealth (matte) Xpel or standard ultimate ?

Also curious if any special prep work should be done to the matte paint in advance of wrapping it. Not sure if matte paint is more prone to damage when changing the wrap out one day.

Any advice appreciated!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
DSC5212 .jpg

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
A great deal of the appeal of the color of the car is it's matte finish. It would be a shame to cover it up with a glossy finish.

That is especially true if it is a 1 of 1 color (I think you said that earlier).

FGT899

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 10, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Woah that is stunning, I dig it!

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Very cool!
Enjoy.
Best,
Mark

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
A friend of a friend has a matte Huracan wrapped in Xpel Stealth. Looks great. Really suggests getting matte paint cars wrapped since it is much harder to match paint if you need touch up, etc. Said removal shouldn't be a problem if applied correctly.

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
Could your PPF service do both side by side, like a paint sample for you to decide?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
After speaking to a few folks, looks like the consensus is to use matte wrap (or stealth if Xpel).
Apparently the clear wrap is a bit too glossy for a matte finish and detracts from it.
I do want to see how the 2 look side by side with a small sample though

Reactions: Simon

Simon

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 19, 2013
Houston
FWIW My installer recommended matte ppf

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
What a track weapon!
Congratulations buddy!

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Even the ordinary coupes are great-looking, saw a black one in traffic yesterday - beautiful

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Looks great. Matte PPF is the way to go.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Starting xpel today. Looks like will wrap matte factory painted areas in stealth Xpel and carbon areas in clear Xpel

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Quick update:

Wrap was finished this week. Thanks for the various tips/input. Definitely the correct way was wrapping the matte painted areas in "Stealth" Xpel - looks exactly the same as without the wrap; and the non-matte areas (mostly carbon fiber bits and rear deck lid) in clear Xpel. Gives it a really cool contrast.

Took the car for its maiden drive, and put a very large nail in tire in first 10 minutes, losing most of the air. Had to stop at a gas station every 5 min along the short drive back home to keep topping up air to make it back without a tow. A bit anti-climactic....

Reactions: dreimer

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Oh jeez! 😠 Looking forward to pics!

GEE-TEE

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 1, 2009
Calabasas, California

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Oh that SUCKS!!!!

dreimer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 8, 2018
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
I read an article that the F1 drivers were complaining about the Aston Martin V8 Vantage safety car used in Melbourne. It was too slow to keep up the tire temps for the F1 cars. Verstappen called the Aston a "turtle" and lobbied for using the MB AMG GT Black cars. Apparently they alternate or something, and they used the MB cars in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia. Leclerc said he didn't want to hassle the safety car drivers since he could see they were sliding through the corners, even though the F1 cars felt like they were crawling. Makes you realize how capable the F1 cars are.

Jax GT - maybe you could volunteer to be the safety car for the Miami F1 race? :LOL: Enjoy the car, and if I see one on JTB I will know it has to be you.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Dreimer - while my car may technically be capable of being an F1 safety car, it would require a far far more capable driver (like Specracer, McGowan, Roketman, DoctorV8, ....)!

Last edited:

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
1650125202656.jpeg
Back home…

Last edited: