Would this help cold transmission shifting?

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005
Obviously I'm not a mechanic, but would this technique help cold shifting in the GT?

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/tsb-11-03-18.pdf

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
It may help with the shifting, but I doubt if it will do anything good for the lifespan of the transaxle. I will live with the poor 2nd gear when cold for the peace of mind knowing that our gearboxes are still holding together with those guys with TT putting out over 900 ft lbs of torque with 30K plus miles! :biggrin

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
but would this technique help cold shifting in the GT?

Most definitely NOT. The Ricardo transaxle in our GTs is a pretty spectacular mechanical piece and you should only use the Motorcraft Oil (imported from Belgium).

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Most definitely NOT. The Ricardo transaxle in our GTs is a pretty spectacular mechanical piece and you should only use the Motorcraft Oil (imported from Belgium).

Fully installed your transaxle cooler and checked for leaks.....highly recommend it for quality and fit....just an aside since the topic of transaxle is being discussed....

Gruntled

GT Owner
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe not the exact oil that is mentioned in the TSB, but is there by chance a different kind of oil that Ricardo would recommend that has the same effect?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Hi Gruntled, yes, this is a good point. But, only 1 fluid available for our transaxles!