GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
what really gets me is that one nut or bolt that just doesnt budge no matter what and turns a 30 minute project into a 5 hour fiasco!

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Or when you get too excited, break the first bolt off, then calm down and work out the other 5 quickly and have to spend the rest of the afternoon extracting the first bolt you broke... I’ll never learn!

Reactions: soroush

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I bought one of the flameless bolt heaters a few years ago, and while I've only needed it a few times, it is definitely worth it!
http://www.theinductor.com/shop/mini-ductor-accessories/mini-ductor-ii-md-700

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
that is a great tool I need one in my arsenal...

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I need one as well!
Mark

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
YOU DO, I got one this year and have used it quite a bit. You still need oxy acetylene for bigger stuff, but the induction is fantastic. No more burnt paint, rubber as the flame goes everywhere. Can even split the coils open to use on rusty brake lines.

Reactions: Special K

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
Here's part of a video showing uses for larger items, like hubs.

This is a video from a different brand, but it shows them heating part of an iron block to remove a head bolt.

Reactions: Special K

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
That’s pretty cool. Is there any danger of damaging aluminum parts with that?

Reactions: Nafod

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
I think the device has very little affect on non-ferrous metals. But if you heat a steel bolt that's threaded into an aluminum part to cherry red, I'm sure you could damage or even melt the aluminum.

Just like when using a torch, you want to use as little heat as possible. http://www.theinductor.com/inductio...s-heat-hot-tip-for-loosening-frozen-fasteners

You really shouldn't heat bolts until they're red to loosen them, but it does make for dramatic videos!

Last edited:

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Definitely a great tool, I need one!

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Great tool. I love great tools.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Don't forget the cooling part of the cycle. After heating the offending part(s), hit the inner part with some cold water or air to make it shrink relative to the outer part (focus only on the part, not the surrounding metal). That's what really loosens up the joint.

Reactions: 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Don't forget the cooling part of the cycle. After heating the offending part(s), hit the inner part with some cold water or air to make it shrink relative to the outer part (focus only on the part, not the surrounding metal). That's what really loosens up the joint.

Great suggestion.

Maybe spraying a cotton swab with compressed nitrogen and touching the inner part will help focus the cold directly into the bolt? Even those cans of compressed air for blowing out your computer case will freeze stuff after a few seconds.

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Either of those methods works, but a carefully directed water squirt or wet q-tip will work fine too. They might not be as cold as liquid nitrogen, but are much colder than the area you just heated.