Who could sell a GT??

H

HHGT

The top public university Berkeley is only ranked in the 22 when you include all universities. But this is only one opinion.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities-rankings

Caltech is a hair behind Harvard and that's what we are hoping my oldest son will get in to.
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...ogy/993486-caltech-tops-college-rankings.html

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
There has been a tremendous shift in admission practices at public universities. In the past, public universities served the average, low to middle income students, while private universities enrolled the best and brightest students from wealthier families that were able to pay the tuition. However, with the obvious exception of the top tier private schools, in many cases the public universities with their subsidized tuition are now the premier insitutions of higher learning. This is the case in Florida. This has caused admission standards to increase dramatically at the public universities, thereby crowding out the average students. This has forced many average students into the private schools with the attendant higher tuition. They are coming out of school with significant education debt and, in many cases, it isn't a good investment for them, since these average students are generally not pulling in the big money. In short, they are the least able to pay for a private university education. A good friend of mine is on the Board of Trustees for a Florida college and he, along with his colleagues, are very concerned about this issue. I am not a bleeding heart liberal but this a problem. I came from a very poor, single parent family (cue the violins). While my high school grades and test scores were very good, I could not get into the public university I went to years ago, or any other Florida public university for that matter, if I was applying today because the admission standards are so high. An expensive, private school would have been out of the question for me. Just think, instead of posting of the Ford GT forum, I would be posting on the Grand Marquis Forever forum.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
When I mentioned UVa I was referring to public schools. It routinely alternates with UC-Berkley for number 1 every year . The pointy headed schools like Harvard where I have a post grad degree and where my daughter was accepted for law school are not public.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Just heard this the other day on the news- the amount of monies owed on student loans exceeds the amounts owed on credit cards.

Hard to believe.

A Sign of the times. And not a Good One.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Just heard this the other day on the news- the amount of monies owed on student loans exceeds the amounts owed on credit cards.

Hard to believe.

I think a lot of that debt is in the "for profit" Votec schools and "colleges" (not universities) where the cost of admission just happens to be exactly the amount you qualify for in aid. They tend to promise instant employment upon graduation that rarely comes to fruition.

H

HHGT

http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_16953655

Harvey Mudd in SoCal ranks #1 in Graduate Salary

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX
Actually, I want BOTH my mechanic (technician? :lol) AND my surgeon - but ESPECIALLY my surgeon -to be VERY experienced!!!:willy:willy:willy

I whas hopng no one caught that - need to use the "edit" feature. I completely agree with you EP - I too want it all!

fastzilla

Where's reverse?
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 17, 2010
San Antonio, TX

Hard to believe.

Could this be the next bubble to pop????

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Could this be the next bubble to pop????

That's been the headline. Approaching $1 trillion evidently.

A niece just worked her way through law school ending with only a $30,000 debt, scored high enough on the Bar that they asked her to be a grader (BTW, although they do not give you a "score" the top 5% or so are invited to be graders so that can give you a clue).

Flyinglakland

Jul 15, 2010
LA
It has always been my dream to own a blue FGT with all four options. I am about to go to college for entreprenuership and marketing. I realize other things come first, but when the time is right, this will be my very first supercar. I am a driving fanatic, so I am constantly thinking of a way to combine my love of high end cars with a business plan, but its hard. haha

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I am about to go to college for entreprenuership and marketing. I realize other things come first, but when the time is right, this will be my very first supercar.

When I first read your statement, I thought, is that an oxymoron, going to school to learn how to be an entrepreneur? Of course, it isn't, but that was my initial reaction.

I've always enjoyed work overall, and I always worked while I went to school. I've had a lot of jobs, and felt I learned something valuable from every one. School was tough at times, but I've likewise felt it was valuable.

I came across this article, and I thought it was an interesting viewpoint, albeit just a snapshot of one person's perspective, and not an in depth analysis. I think a balance of work and school can be helpful. I wouldn't pick one over the other.

http://blogs.berkeley.edu/2010/09/2...-debating-the-merits-of-pulling-a-zuckerberg/

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
http://www.dailybulletin.com/ci_16953655

Harvey Mudd in SoCal ranks #1 in Graduate Salary

I met a Harvey Mudd graduate today, Engineering degree.

He is currently teaching Physics to LAUSD high school students, and says he has a good group of kids. I was impressed with what he has decided to do with his education, in helping others. He was an engineer for about 5 years.

Sad thing is, he currently has 39 students in one of his classes. With furlough days, especially with AP classes, he said it is tough to get all the material done, and he doesn't see signs of improvement. More layoffs are pending.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Do two yrs at public; then switch to elite private or Ivy..... Save 50%

All the top schools graduate only b/w 80-90% of their freshman....so, 1 out of 5 Freshman never make it to grad date

the other 20% come from transfers...little secret no one admits...

Top 4-year graduation rate

Yale University New Haven, CT 90%
Princeton University Princeton, NJ 90%
United States Naval Academy Annapolis, MD 89%
Duke University Durham, NC 89%
Harvard University Cambridge, MA 88%
University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA 88%
Northwestern University Evanston, IL 87%
Columbia University New York, NY 87%
Claremont McKenna College Claremont, CA 87%
Brown University Providence, RI 86%
University of Chicago Chicago, IL 86%
Georgetown University Washington, DC 85%
Cornell University Ithaca, NY 85%
Tufts University Medford, MA 85%
Dartmouth College Hanover, NH 85%
Washington University in St. Louis St. Louis, MO 84%
Vanderbilt University Nashville, TN 84%
Emory University Atlanta, GA 84%
Barnard College New York, NY 83%
Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, MD 83%
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge, MA 83%
Rice University Houston, TX 83%
United States Military Academy West Point, NY 80%
Stanford University Stanford, CA 79%

Last edited:

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
A lot of great points here.

Jan 10th we are about to become empty nester's. The wife is pretty sad and I am too. Just when they get to the point you can hold a decent conversation, they are gone. But, we are proud of both of the kids. I have to say a great education and doing well in a job has more to do with what WE do everyday, WE have more influence on who they ultimately become that what school they attend. A great person outweighs the school in most every case. If they can't socialize and communicate it really does not matter. If they don't have a good set of values, in the long run it won't matter. We can give them values and a sense constitution, they have to do the rest to become successful. At a certain point the school itself means little, having the school is important, but IMO, not which one in the long run. Who they become overshadows the school itself. It's up to them to have the drive to excel, can you really say any different in your personal experience ?

I have a son with a PHD from USC and a daughter with a Masters CSUF, both worked their way in with either state or jr. colleges. Both doing well in a crap economy. I give all the credit to my wife who stayed home and raised the kids more the I ever did. She at times feels like she did not contribute enough, baloney. My daughter really stuck to the plan and went through with a full schedule. Both son and daughter worked PT the whole time. They did not need too, but wanted too. This ultimately led to a great promotion for her and a secure job for my son with a huge savings for his age. I told him that I would match his down payment on home. I about crapped myself when he said I needed to come up with $45k. Not many 24 year olds have managed to save that much working part time. With that discipline he will own whatever car he wants "someday". Like many of those above I would have sold my GT or a Shelby to take care of the best interests of my kids. I am truly blessed.

Every hair brained idea i have ever had seamed to add to the college fund , from the kids portfolio with things they thought were cool at one time or another... Apple,Quicksilver,Coach and the video game companies and even Ford ...add in the muscle cars we bought and flipped over the good years and it all worked out just fine.

In hindsight, I feel more strongly about values, understanding hard work, and learning what drive is all about..... more mean more than anything else. No one here would even be reading this if we did not have these qualities. That will never change IMO.

My wife says I buy what ever car I put up a poster of on a certain spot on the garage wall I eventually buy. That has been 100% true for 25 years. Today that poster is the GT poster, "The GT is the One". But I do feel that some day it will need a brother to play with , I guess the good news is that with my daughter leaving I have an empty stall .... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
...All the top schools graduate only b/w 80-90% of their freshman....so, 1 out of 5 Freshman never make it to grad date...

...the other 20% come from transfers...little secret no one admits...Obama did it...

When I went to Berkeley a long time ago, I heard that 25% of the freshmen never made it to Junior year. From what I hear now, the grading is much easier than in the past. In my day most classes were graded on a strict curve, the bottom 20 percentile were given a D or F and you needed at least a C average to stay enrolled.

Last edited: