White SVT Raptor

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They just added the raptor minisite on Ford.com. It's actually a very cool site. Do some digging and there are a ton of cool pics and info.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/f150raptor/

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
stepside bed?

Dave- Do you know if they will put stepside bed on it too? Thanks, KO

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
No doubt this is a fantastic vehicle. And I'm personally exited to see the focus on off-road.

Now, when does the Expedition based model come out? :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Yes, I never understood the fast street truck thing. The Lightning was cool and all, but that's what cars are for. You could never make a statement about the Lightning without adding the caveat "for a truck." It was fast "for a truck". It turned good "for a truck." There are no excuses with the Raptor. It's just good at what it does. It's going to surprise people with it's on road capabilities anyways.

Someone made the suggestion I start a site called Raptordumbass.com for the inevitable toasted Raptors as Billy Bob tries to get 6 feet of air :lol

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
the inevitable toasted Raptors as Billy Bob tries to get 6 feet of air :lol

No doubt this will be the scenario over & over on you tube... might be as bad as the Arab drifting scene!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I like it

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
I wonder what would be a more capable (fun) occasional Rally Hauler. A Raptor (with possible whipple) or a F250 SC Diesel? For pulling a GT on a Tommy's trailers aluminum rig.

thoughts?

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
There is no way a Raptor will make a good tow vehicle. It would probably get the job done with helper springs, but I asked what it would be like towing the GT in my aluminum trailer and, as is, I was told it would not be that great.

An F-250 with the turbo diesel is far and away a much better tow vehicle. I wouldn't even attempt using a Raptor with the 5.4, but with the 6.2 it should have enough power.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
thanks Dave, the site mentioned towing but no specs... so I figured I'd ask. I guess a F250 is in my near term future then.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007
thanks Dave, the site mentioned towing but no specs... so I figured I'd ask. I guess a F250 is in my near term future then.

If I had to chose one or the other for occasional towing, I'd take the Raptor and have a good fab shop make an air bag set up for the rear. It could even be made so its easily removable if your only going to tow 3 or 4 times a year.

The 5.4 will NEVER pull like a diesel, but it's not terrible, & don't judge the pulling power by an unladen test drive either... that motor has some torque and the right gears will make it even better. The Raptor's 8" wider stance won't hurt stability while towing, and SO much more fun that an F-250!!

andy6789

Oct 7, 2008
We had a f150 with a 5.4 to tow our dirt bike trailer and it got the job done, but our new diesel f250 you cant even tell the trailer in on the back.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
My '05 Navigator with the 3V 5.4 and 6 speed combo towed my ZR-1 easily.

But yes...I'd still wait for the 6.2. I'm doing the Raptor Experience tomorrow morning at the Houston Rodeo. Looking forward to it!

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
DoctorV8 looking forward to your feedback from the Raptor Experience.

JRGoens

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Awesome looking truck!! Can't wait to see one in person. Could get around in that thing in ND without any problems.

JRGoens

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Doctor V8, also waiting to see what you thought of the Raptor Experience.

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
Unfortunately, there was no riding or driving involved. It was basically a breakfast and a walk around by a guy named Cliff Ivey (I might have his last name wrong), a Team Raptor engineer. After he found out I have FGT, we chatted for a while about how his team of "truck guys" had to get the SVT guys acclimated to a whole new racing environment.

The truck on display was a black on with graphics and the 6.2. Got to sit in it, and poke and prod wherever we wanted.

Relevant information I learned:

1)the 6.2 will be out in the winter. It is a 2V, not a 3V like the 5.4, and will have 400 HP vs 325 for the 5.4. Both motors will be calibrated for 87 octane and be paired to the same 6 spd auto.

2) The frame is identical to other F150s, aside from the mounting point of the bespoke front control arms.

3) The Fox Shox are sealed, and not rebuildable.

4) the tires are 315-70-17 BFG all terrains....they look great in person. Can't wait to see how they handle pavement....they look like they'd roar pretty loud at 80 mph.

The remainder of the morning was spent racing mini RC Raptor models around a mini dirt track. Still a fun morning, and a very impressive looking machine!

Last edited:

thrashdu2002

Feb 26, 2007
Fortuna,Ca
for pulling your Ford GT and trailer go with a F250. It can pull a little over 15000lbs with a built in towhaul system. The F150 can do about 10000 max but the Raptor wont be set up for that. The F250 also has tow command standard in it. The new F250 with the new DPF(diesel particulate filter is nice but you will have to clean it out.) Lots of power and effortless towing. You dont want a stamped out beer can*dodge* or the chevy Duracrap diesel. Isuzu makes the engine and they aren't reliable.

Team Jeff

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2007

DoctorV8

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 28, 2006
Houston
6.2L motor details from the new 2011 Super Duty press release:

New gasoline engine delivers more torque, horsepower than outgoing model
Ford tapped into a bit of its proud racing heritage to create the new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine, which uses big-bore architecture to produce horsepower and class-leading fuel economy. The V-8's large bore (102 mm) allows for larger intake and exhaust valves for improved engine breathing, and the short stroke (95 mm) allows higher engine speed for increased horsepower.

Benefits of the new 6.2-liter V-8 gasoline engine include:

* SOHC valvetrain with roller-rocker shafts: The single overhead camshaft (SOHC) per cylinder head design results in a stiff valvetrain that allows optimized camshaft lift profiles and results in great low-speed torque. The roller-rocker shafts allow valve angles to be splayed, resulting in optimized intake and exhaust port layout for better breathing.

* Dual-equal variable cam timing: Intake and exhaust valve opening and closing events are phased at the same time to optimize fuel economy and performance throughout the engine speed range and throttle positions.

* Two spark plugs per cylinder: Due to the large bore size, two spark plugs per cylinder are used to more efficiently burn the fuel-air mixture in the combustion chamber, enabling better fuel economy and increased engine torque. The twin plugs also help the engine maintain a smooth, stable idle.

* Dual knock sensors: A knock sensor on each bank of cylinders of the V-8 engine allows the spark timing of each of the cylinders to be individually optimized real time, throughout the engine speed range. The engine learns the optimum timing via an adaptive algorithm.

* Better engine crankcase "breathing" and efficiency: Significant development work and computer-aided engineering optimized the cylinder block for more efficient airflow in the crankcase as the pistons move up and down in the bores, resulting in improved torque at higher engine speeds. Piston-cooling jets squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions. The cooling jets also allow for a higher compression ratio for better engine efficiency and faster engine oil warm-up on cold starts, also improving fuel economy.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
My raptor has landed at the dealer...delivery next week. Could not wait for the 6.2, I am too impatient. 5.4 will be good enough for me.

Stu