Whippled GT Vs. a ZR1

H

HHGT

Well just suppose for a minute one came across a ZR1 on the fwy and with a quick down shift into 2nd gear and of course no crazy Detroit zig zagging, how would the Whippled GT, 19 lb pulley running on 91 Octane do?

And, what happens when the ZR1 changes their pulley and tune?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't know. When it happens, please give us all a full report. :biggrin

Last edited:

John B

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 28, 2006
Close race but Ford GT by a car length or two.

I had a roll on run with a new Ferrari 599. Put about 10 car lengths on him.
Whipple, 19 lbs, 93 octane, 708 rwhp

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
All this conjecture amounts to is: whichever car has the most mods wins. So, what's new???

Stock vs. stock is the only real measure of which car is 'more gooder' in the power/gearing department. But, the FGT beats the pants off the ZR1 in any other area one would care to name...except STORAGE SPACE! :ack

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Stock to stock the new ZR1 would win most common measures of performance, but take a poll on which one people would want to own, the FGT wins by a landslide! :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Stock to stock the new ZR1 would win most common measures of performance, but take a poll on which one people would want to own, the FGT wins by a landslide! :biggrin

'ZACTLY my point!

And re: the performance contest, the FGT gives up, what?, 57cu in displacement (or whatever it is) right off the bat? And HOW MANY pounds of curb weight?

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
GT Vs. ZR1 Weight

'ZACTLY my point!

And re: the performance contest, the FGT gives up, what?, 57cu in displacement (or whatever it is) right off the bat? And HOW MANY pounds of curb weight?

Look at the ZR1 specs...the two cars are almost identical in stock weight. At least from the data I saw.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Look at the ZR1 specs...the two cars are almost identical in stock weight. At least from the data I saw.

Going STRICTLY from memory, I recall the FGT weighs in at around 3,500 and the 'Vette at 3,300 or so? But, that said, I don't remember what I had for din-din lastnite. :frown (I suppose wunna us could just look the darn stats up for both cars, now couldn't we! :lol :lol :lol)

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
'Couldn't stand the suspense! I looked 'em up!

'Vette museum says the ZR1 is 3,350.

Depending on whomever one quotes, the FGT runs from 3,350 to 3,485. (And that 3,485 figure DOES seem to ring a bell for me for some reason.)

So, I guess in the end it all boils down to how much lead each driver carries in his butt!

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I checked my corner balance after installation of spring perches. Total weight was 3490 lbs (no driver and a full tank). Configuration included Ford Racing muffler and a trans cooler. BTW, corner balance was nearly perfect without adjustment.

Howard

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
Well just suppose for a minute one came across a ZR1 on the fwy and with a quick down shift into 2nd gear and of course no crazy Detroit zig zagging, how would the Whippled GT, 19 lb pulley running on 91 Octane do?

And, what happens when the ZR1 changes their pulley and tune?

which one would win? the one with nitrous:biggrin

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Stock for stock, I would guess the ZR1, since FGT vs C6-ZO6 would be a driver's race.
Looks, well,..., no brainer, the FGT
Once you modify (anything) all bets are off:cheers

californiacuda

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 21, 2005
Will Whipple/Kenne Bell/others make an aftermarket supercharger for the ZR1?

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Will Whipple/Kenne Bell/others make an aftermarket supercharger for the ZR1?

It is real tight fit in there. Without a monster hood I doubt we see a big Whipple. KB is doubtful, Jim is doing fine with the Supersnake upgrades. More likely to see a Magnusen or heads cams cars IMO.

I would imagine they will fit heat and heak soak issues in this space.

H

HHGT

Still no opinions guys? Smashing the pedal at 65 MPH through a third gear change on a Whippled GT will yield what result against a ZR1?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Still no opinions guys? Smashing the pedal at 65 MPH through a third gear change on a Whippled GT will yield what result against a ZR1?

Mos' likely a huge ticket fer th' both a yuz if there be a LEO prezzunt sumwhars close...:lol

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Mos' likely a huge ticket fer th' both a yuz if there be a LEO prezzunt sumwhars close...:lol

+1 and maybe some jailtime and a suspended license! :ack

H

HHGT

Okay EP & ICE I Modified the post....

On a closed Track, Smashing the pedal at 65 MPH through a third gear change on a Whippled GT will yield what result against a ZR1?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
On a closed Track, Smashing the pedal at 65 MPH through a third gear change on a Whippled GT will yield what result against a ZR1?

Why does it matter. The guy owning the ZR1 is going to say better bang for the buck. The guy owning the FGT is going to say a ZR1 still looks very similar to a standard Vette. On a road course driver skill is much more important than the differences between the two cars. On the street, balls, or lack of fear, or respect for the safety of others will be more important than the differences between the two cars. On the drag strip a suspect we will see some youtube videos soon.

:confused

Last edited: