whipple belt

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
Having just done all this, I pretty much agree with most of what is being said here. In theory the pulleys are easy to swap out due to being secured with 4 bolts rather then being pressed on. But the clearance is so tight when the blower is on the car that it would be VERY difficult at best. My SC came with the wrong pulley and when I asked if I could go ahead and put the SC on the car and then install the correct pulley when it arrived - the answer was wait, and leave the SC on the bench for the pulley swap.

I did cut down an Allen wrench to fit the Whipple idler/tensioner. I worked for a long time getting the Allen wrench correct (length, angle, etc. in order to be able to get it in the bolt head). But then I was able to adjust the tensioner per the method described above by Bill.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
All day on the belt is right..you basically have to pull all the crap off to get the belt off.

Everetto we did the same thing on the tensioner on the whipple...cut down an allen wrench to fit..>ITS REALLY REALLY Close and you certainly don't want to break that glass...I heard it was $2500 for the glass and they used a special jig at the factory to hold it in place and allow the sealant to dry....don't see any of us having that part!

Matt

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
I installed my Whipple with a 3.25" pulley then changed to the 3.50" pulley with the supercharger still on the motor. I cut off a piece of an Allen wrench and then used a Craftsman ratcheting box wrench. Since box wrenches have an offset built into them, I was able to stay away from the window.

Steve

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
I installed my Whipple with a 3.25" pulley then changed to the 3.50" pulley with the supercharger still on the motor. I cut off a piece of an Allen wrench and then used a Craftsman ratcheting box wrench. Since box wrenches have an offset built into them, I was able to stay away from the window.

Steve

NIce ! I think I will give that a try! Thanks.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
That is great news. It must still not be an easy job without a spotter. Since you cannot see the bolts you need to remove. Do you put a mirror in the passenger compartment? How much clearance is there between the window and the pulley? Any tricks on getting the bolts back in place. I can imagine dropping them a few times before they find the holes screw in.

Is there any chance of changing the belt without removing the supercharger pulley?

Last edited:

632C2

GT Owner
Oct 23, 2006
Puyallup, WA
That is great news. It must still not be an easy job without a spotter. Since you cannot see the bolts you need to remove. Do you put a mirror in the passenger compartment? How much clearance is there between the window and the pulley? Any tricks on getting the bolts back in place. I can imagine dropping them a few times before they find the holes screw in.

Is there any chance of changing the belt without removing the supercharger pulley?
Nothing was real difficult about this but you do need a little patience. Most everything I do is without any help and this is a one man job. I laid a towel under the pulley in case anything dropped while I was trying to insert the hex tool into the SHCS's. While you can't see the bolts you can easily "feel" them. I did not use a mirror. I don't recall the clearance but it was certainly enough. Re-installing the SHCS's was also just a matter of patience. I used a little blue Loctite as well.

The belt on a Whipple can definitly be changed without removing the pulley.

Steve

Aug 25, 2006
Nothing was real difficult about this but you do need a little patience. Most everything I do is without any help and this is a one man job. I laid a towel under the pulley in case anything dropped while I was trying to insert the hex tool into the SHCS's. While you can't see the bolts you can easily "feel" them. I did not use a mirror. I don't recall the clearance but it was certainly enough. Re-installing the SHCS's was also just a matter of patience. I used a little blue Loctite as well.

The belt on a Whipple can definitly be changed without removing the pulley.

Steve

Thank you for clearing the air on this issue; this is great to know.

Takes care

Shadowman

JMBLOWNWS6

Oct 28, 2006
This is the problem. I had the transmission out of the car. I can change the pulley but the idler is still an issue. You have to remember that if you change the pulley it will have to be a within the belt tension. Going from 15 to 18 psi will require a belt swap regaurdless.

JMBLOWNWS6

Oct 28, 2006
I called whipple about the belt, they say they cut two ribs off to make it a 10 rib belt. As far as the length they say that it's correct and it should take all day to put just the belt on. But they will sell me the belt on their website . THANKS

Thats funny you say that :lol Because after someone pointed that out to me I compared the OEM belt to it and they where both 10 rib's :cheers

AMB

GT Owner
Aug 29, 2005
San Diego,Ca.
Whipple Belt

Kenny Bell makes a Kit, so you don't have to change the belt when going from 15 to 18 psi. Also you can change the 90mm idlers with 100mm idlers too.

AMB

everetto

GT Owner
Sep 4, 2006
Desert Southwest
K100891 89.13" is the closest that I found

they have these other size listed too

k100852
k100810

Try this website'

https://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comergent/en/US/direct/gates

and search for

K100*
Good info on the belts - I have been researching them as well. The part number on the belt I received from Whipple is K120903, which does indicate that it was originally a 12 rib belt, and every parts interchange I could find verifies that - thus it appears that Whipple is cutting down 12 rib belts to get appropriate lengths in a 10 rib setup. With that said I am about to order (from NAPA) the K100891 listed above as I need a 89" belt for the 3.25" pulley. Hopefully the rib widths/angles are the same, and I have no info to indicate that they aren't. Has anyone tried this part number?

Aug 25, 2006
Good info on the belts - I have been researching them as well. The part number on the belt I received from Whipple is K120903, which does indicate that it was originally a 12 rib belt, and every parts interchange I could find verifies that - thus it appears that Whipple is cutting down 12 rib belts to get appropriate lengths in a 10 rib setup. With that said I am about to order (from NAPA) the K100891 listed above as I need a 89" belt for the 3.25" pulley. Hopefully the rib widths/angles are the same, and I have no info to indicate that they aren't. Has anyone tried this part number?

Huuum; this is interesting and something that I never noticed, mine was originally a 12 rib as well.

Takes care

Shadowman