Whipple 4.0 L in!

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
31.022340° N / 44.846191° W
We installed the Whipple 4.0 /19 PSI pulley, Accufab throttle body (monoblade)/ MAFia/ Accufab inlet sleeve and a Torrie tune today. The tuner's PC crapped out due to a defective charger, and we only were able to run 3-4 tunes and perhaps 5-6 pulls, but so far, she's at a solid 735 HP and 660 TQ. I think there's more in there...as we're not nearly finished with the tuning yet, but this is up from 580 HP and 550 TQ with a pulley /tune and exhaust. She's running well. I should have her back in my hands Friday and will post the (Dynapak Hub) Dyno results. Looking great so far!! I'm sure Torrie's going to get me another few ponies out of her. This is going to be a whole new car once she's finished! I'm thinkin' 750 HP once done!

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
750hp would be excellent! Nice work.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Very nice! Like panning for gold.

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
So far so good Steve, still working through the calibration late last night and through today. Final results will be up upon completion.

IMG-20120516-00012.jpgIMG-20120516-00013.jpgIMG-20120516-00014.jpg

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
do you have an X-pipe or a borla muffler?

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
How is the GT strapped down? Or maybe it's just not tied down yet..... Just curious, but I can't see any lines.

4L blower. Wow, you're gonna have a rocket strapped to you. You should bring that over to Alberta for the Race the Base event!!!

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How is the GT strapped down? Or maybe it's just not tied down yet..... Just curious, but I can't see any lines.

4L blower. Wow, you're gonna have a rocket strapped to you. You should bring that over to Alberta for the Race the Base event!!!

That is a Dynopak dyno that attaches to the rear hubs with the wheels off.

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
That is a Dynopak dyno that attaches to the rear hubs with the wheels off.

Seriously? OK, that's freaking cool. I learned something new today. Thanks.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Seriously? OK, that's freaking cool. I learned something new today. Thanks.

IMO a Dynopak is much more versatile than most dynos, because it is a load dyno. You can set the load you want at any RPM unlike the more commonly used Dynojet inertial dynos. Dyno jet have a load option, but you have do deal with tire slip.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I learned something new today.

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I've never seen/heard of those before either.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger! I've never seen/heard of those before either.

Yeah, but you have a good excuse, you never take your car out of the garage! No need to dyno it! :lol

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
The cool thing about the hub dyno is that there's no wheel slippage, or tire wear - and I'm guessing that because of the lack of slippage, a more accurate/consistent picture of the power output. It takes longer to setup - but is portable as well.

I can only say that with runs of 728-735 HP with a good looking AFR...(and the Dyno guy is saying he has calculated a 20% drivetrain loss on his Dyno, not 15%), I'm flipping over how much power this puppy is making at the crank with only an upgraded S/C and a few other small mods. The exhaust pressure is so fierce, it knocked over a heavy steel 4' fan sitting over 6' away from the exhaust on the 1st run, and destroyed the fan...(oops!).

Motor sounds perfect...and she's running like a charm. We're going back to tuning sometime next week as they sort of ran out of time this week...

All pulls were done in 4th.

I firmly believe a consistent 750 is in the near future!

God I love this car more and more each day!!!

boost1.jpg

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
do you have an X-pipe or a borla muffler?
Crossover pipe - if that's what is referred to as an x-pipe in this setup...I believe it's a Heffner exhaust. No muffler, cats only. I could not stand anywhere near the car during pulls...I had to stand 50' away. It was deafening and painful.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
By
It was deafening and painful.
you mean audible and delightful, right? :biggrin

Congrats on the big power #s. :thumbsup

33Bravo

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 3, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Crossover pipe - if that's what is referred to as an x-pipe in this setup...I believe it's a Heffner exhaust. No muffler, cats only. I could not stand anywhere near the car during pulls...I had to stand 50' away. It was deafening and painful.

To quote Rob (after hearing pull with long tube headers and racing muffler):

"it made my ears bleed"

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
To quote Rob (after hearing pull with long tube headers and racing muffler):

"it made my ears bleed"

Your car did this to me in the vehicle until I put both windows up before each run.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Any video from the dyno run?

Cobraguy

GT Owner
[Superfly....my son and I are considering bringing the gt up from Medicine Hat to the Race the Base this year.(as spectators only). Have you got any tips for us first-timers ? (where to stay, when is it, etc ) Thanks in advance !

QUOTE=Superfly;309927]How is the GT strapped down? Or maybe it's just not tied down yet..... Just curious, but I can't see any lines.

4L blower. Wow, you're gonna have a rocket strapped to you. You should bring that over to Alberta for the Race the Base event!!![/QUOTE]

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
^^ PM me your email address, I'll forward the event invite and some thoughts about it to you.

FBA

GT Owner
Dec 5, 2010
UPDATE: While we're not yet finished tuning...I took her home today until the final tuning next Tuesday.

This thing pulls like a monster now. I can do hard pulls in all of the higher gears from only 1500 RPM and it pulls like it's a gear lower. What a difference!! I was in traffic most of the way home, so no chance to really open her up, but you can feel a huge difference! 6th pulls lke 5th at 80. I did one pull in the street near my home a few minutes ago - pulling away from a stop going through 1st and 2nd at close to WOT...and I could see a night and day difference. Shit-faced grin from ear-to-ear is about the only way to describe it!

Best thing, is that drivability of course, remains totally unchanged. Unless you put your foot into it, she drives the same as stock. She's a sleeper. LOL

I am, as Torrie says, "enjoying my new found power and TQ"!

I think I'll go sleep in the garage tonight - :lol :biggrin

Last edited: