Which pulley

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
I am new to the forum and was hoping you guys could help me on a pulley mod for my GT. I have run it at the Texas mile a few times and was wanting to add a little more boost for the next one in March. I am looking at the Innovators West 10% OD crank pulley or the smaller upper. I have searched this topic on the forum, but have not found a comparison. The lower seems like the best option (less weight on crank and less belt slippage), but wanted to know if anyone has tried it yet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I haven't heard about anyone trying to switch the pulley on the main. The upper pulley has been changed on many cars and is reliable to about 17lbs. If you are looking for 200 at The Mile, you will need more.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
agreed....you need a Whipple or better to crack 200. I did 195.5 with a pulley and tune with a strong tailwind and can say there was no way to squeeze anything else out of the car...... trust me I tried.....alot.

That was the highest speed for a pulley and tune GT in a Mile.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
My suggestion is a pulley from Hennessey and a tune from Torrie. When I had Whipple rebuilding my Whipple I used John Hennesseys pulley and a tune from Torrie and it was very impressive. Lots of additional HP but the Whipple has the immediate throtle response which is so nice. You WILL notice the difference from stock with that combo!!!!!

Larry

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
I know 200 would be all but out of reach, but I just want to see how fast I can go with the stock blower. I did 181 on every pass bone stock and the Ford Exhaust (same tail wind as you I bet). In October my speed dropped by 10mph (171mph). I dropped in some C16 and a tune and got the 10mph back. With a pulley, tune and some C16 (hopfully another tailwind) I wanted to see how fast it would go. I would be happy just to get past 191! Its driving me crazy that my wife's mustang is faster than my GT!!

What do you guys think about adding a lower and upper. Would boost the stock supercharger by about 6psi. I know there is a point where it is just generating a bunch of heat, but where is the line?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Once you figure out what's involved in R&Ring the lower pulley you'll stick with the upper or just jump to a larger compressor.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Once you figure out what's involved in R&Ring the lower pulley you'll stick with the upper or just jump to a larger compressor.

From that post I am guessing you can not simply get to it by removing the underside skid plate? No one has been able to tell me what is involved in changing the lower.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
From that post I am guessing you can not simply get to it by removing the underside skid plate? No one has been able to tell me what is involved in changing the lower.

Removing your engine is highly likely.

Read modularfords forum about getting the crankshaft balancer off. The bolt is a bitch to remove and if you get that off you need to fit a puller into a very small space. The mustangs and others can always pull the radiator if needed.

I know of a one of the best that took more time than he would like to say to get the bolt off with the engine out!

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
Yep.

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
Removing your engine is highly likely.

Read modularfords forum about getting the crankshaft balancer off. The bolt is a bitch to remove and if you get that off you need to fit a puller into a very small space. The mustangs and others can always pull the radiator if needed.

I know of a one of the best that took more time than he would like to say to get the bolt off with the engine out!

Thanks for the heads up! I have not bought it yet. The Guy from Innovators West told me you could do it without pulling the engine, but now it does not sound as easy as he made it seem.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Thanks for the heads up! I have not bought it yet. The Guy from Innovators West told me you could do it without pulling the engine, but now it does not sound as easy as he made it seem.

Only if you are a magician, or lier.

Last edited:

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I bet he either doesn't own a GT or has never tried it. I have just spent several hours recently in that area of the engine when I had to replace the belts etc reinstalling the Whipple. My hands look like they were in a meat grinder from the lack of space. I wish I was a Magician!!:lol As the other thread stated about Soroush pulling his engine for the mods he did. I respect his ability!!! If Soroush pulls teeth as well as he does GT engines I may have found a new dentist!! ONLY IF HE USES Nitrous!!:willy:willy

Larry

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
I bet he either doesn't own a GT or has never tried it. I have just spent several hours recently in that area of the engine when I had to replace the belts etc reinstalling the Whipple. My hands look like they were in a meat grinder from the lack of space. I wish I was a Magician!!:lol As the other thread stated about Soroush pulling his engine for the mods he did. I respect his ability!!! If Soroush pulls teeth as well as he does GT engines I may have found a new dentist!! ONLY IF HE USES Nitrous!!:willy:willy

Larry

He doesn't and he even told me that he had never done one, but gave me the number of someone that has (waiting for a call back). He did say you can definitly do it without pulling the engine, but it made me cautious none the less. I think I am strongly leaning to the upper now, Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
After over 1.5 year since the new crank pulley came forth I know of only one person running the innovation lower pulley. Their claim of additional HP due to weight has yet to be proven. There are no know reported "stock" failures of the crank / pulley and the one crank failure I know being Piko's had a flaw in the forging that caused it to break - and even then it wasn't on the front of the crank.... Use the site's search function to find that older thread. Indy GT has some great comments/ rebuttals’.

Top pulley. 2.7" from Jason Heffner..... GT Guys can change the pulley and have the car reflashed in under 30 min!

SAGT

GT Owner
Dec 21, 2009
After over 1.5 year since the new crank pulley came forth I know of only one person running the innovation lower pulley. Their claim of additional HP due to weight has yet to be proven. There are no know reported "stock" failures of the crank / pulley and the one crank failure I know being Piko's had a flaw in the forging that caused it to break - and even then it wasn't on the front of the crank.... Use the site's search function to find that older thread. Indy GT has some great comments/ rebuttals’.

Top pulley. 2.7" from Jason Heffner..... GT Guys can change the pulley and have the car reflashed in under 30 min!

I did the lower on my GT500 and its really seemed to increase the responsiveness of the engine, but I did several other mods at the same time so I can not say it was all due to the lower. I looked at the older thread and it never said anything about power gains so I was hoping someone would have done one by now and could give me some feedback. So is the 2.7 from Jason Heffner the best upper? Also does it need a MAFia?

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I did the lower on my GT500 and its really seemed to increase the responsiveness of the engine, but I did several other mods at the same time so I can not say it was all due to the lower. I looked at the older thread and it never said anything about power gains so I was hoping someone would have done one by now and could give me some feedback. So is the 2.7 from Jason Heffner the best upper? Also does it need a MAFia?

If you haven't done any other mods the 2.7 alone will get you to the 5v roof so generally you can get by with out a mafia.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

GT500 while it is a 5.4 differs in many ways.....Just haven't seen or can see the main pulley change benefits on the FGT 5.4...

but opinions like beliefs are just like ass$holes - everybody has one :cheers

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I'll give another satisfied nod to Torrie's tune and Heffner's 2.7" pulley. It's a very nice combination with the stock blower.

Best Regards,
Waldo

tmcphail

GT Owner/Vendor
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 24, 2006
St Augustine, Florida
I'll give another satisfied nod to Torrie's tune and Heffner's 2.7" pulley. It's a very nice combination with the stock blower.

Best Regards,
Waldo

:thumbsup:thumbsup

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB

Best Regards,
Waldo

+1 :thumbsup