Wheels and Tires

campgreenlake

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2007
Florida
I recently replaced the 6 spoke cast wheels on my 2005 FGT with the optional BBS forged wheels. I also put Bridgestone Potenza rubber on the forged wheels. Now I have a set of cast spoke wheels with fairly good OEM spec Goodyear Eagle Tires occupying a large amount of space in my garage. What does one do in a situation like this? Any suggestions, particularly from someone who has been through the process would be greatly appreciated

Tomcat

GT Owner
I have two sets of BBS option (and one set of the original F1 tires). I believe that the re-sale/auction market rewards the owner who can present the car (or at least return the car) to its factory original configuration. Therefore, if the car was spec'd with the 6 spoke...I'd keep them.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Get a larger garage? I have 3 sets of wheels for the 05GT, Im happy to have them.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
You can offer them up here for sale although the tires are so old they have no value. There is a for sale section on this forum.

Reactions: Ed Sims

RomeoMarkIV

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2019
I recently replaced the 6 spoke cast wheels on my 2005 FGT with the optional BBS forged wheels. I also put Bridgestone Potenza rubber on the forged wheels. Now I have a set of cast spoke wheels with fairly good OEM spec Goodyear Eagle Tires occupying a large amount of space in my garage. What does one do in a situation like this? Any suggestions, particularly from someone who has been through the process would be greatly appreciated
I placed my Wheel and Tire in my garage and put a large piece of glass over it and threw some of my GT books on it and it is an amazingly beautiful coffee table at the moment.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
I did this. Very easy to store and just roll out of the way. https://www.carguygarage.com/deluxetiredispl.html
deluxe-tire-display-rack-on-wheels-4.jpg

Last edited:

Tomcat

GT Owner

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I placed my Wheel and Tire in my garage and put a large piece of glass over it and threw some of my GT books on it and it is an amazingly beautiful coffee table at the moment.

I do this too. If valuable space in the garage is all taken up, make your wife happy and move it inside the house!

Got any photos handy of the coffee table? Would love to see it. I've put end table glass over single and stacked wheels before in the studio. But I haven't made a coffee table yet.

Reactions: RomeoMarkIV

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
ps, the 6-Spoke were only on 12% of cars

Someday they will be rare.

Attachments

• IMG_6113.jpg
    IMG_6113.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_6170.jpg
    IMG_6170.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 43

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Nice table Kayvan - thanks for the pics. Soon after I took delivery of my 2006 Ford GT, which was equipped with the BBS upgraded wheels, I decided to order a set of the "standard" factory wheels (and center covers), for the reason you mentioned.

I figured most of us had cars with the upgraded wheel set, and that eventually, it would be somewhat rare to have Ford GT with the standard wheels.

But wow. Looking at the prices of the BBS wheel set, I should have ordered a set of both, back in 2006.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks

Might want to look into salvage wheels. The wheel in pic actually had damage and it was straightened / filed / painted.

Received two salvage like that for free (inc s/h) from salvage builder.

Wouldn't track it; but nice to have spares.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Thankfully, I am not in need of anything currently, but just wondering what is going to happen when we need parts. I did buy some basic items and stored them. (Shift boot, front lower lip, side sticker set, etc.)

Tomcat

GT Owner
Thankfully, I am not in need of anything currently, but just wondering what is going to happen when we need parts. I did buy some basic items and stored them. (Shift boot, front lower lip, side sticker set, etc.)
A couple of us got together and 3D printed the dash defroster vents.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
I side with those who said to keep them.....

Roadtrip

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 28, 2006
A couple of us got together and 3D printed the dash defroster vents.

3D Printing is ideal for smaller components like the vents, as long as they are produced in the right materials. Larger parts (Like a full dash) start to become cost prohibitive unless they are reproduced for "Extremely Rare & Valuable Cars" where no other solution is viable.

In regards to the OP, I recommend keeping the wheels if you have the space. I have a set of each OEM style and rotate them periodically to keep things fresh :) Blue Moose's suggestion is perfect.

Reactions: Blue Moose

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I didn't even think of 3D printed parts. Awesome! Yes, the perfect solution. Gotta love technology.