Wheel Powder Coating

Richhill43

Apr 13, 2010
Johnson City, NY
I know that wheel repair/powder coating was mentioned before but I wanted to put in my two cents. From the generosity of Pete S, I received a rim that required powder coating to return to stock. I searched this site and found a reference to Wheel Collision in Bath, PA. I sent them five rims and they did wonderful work.

http://wheelcollision.com/

I run twin turbos and a super charger so I want my wheels right. I have no vested interest in this company but I wanted to share my story.

I have pictures I can email since I don't know how to attach them here.

Good Luck,
Rich

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
I have never personally used their services but Wheel Collision has an excellent reputation from some well known wheel/suspension shops in the north Jersey area. They send their refurbishment work to Bath.

Howard

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Good to work with, and did good work.

Special K

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 23, 2016
Franklinton, LA
Thanks for the reference. I'm always looking for shops that take pride in their work. That to me is way more important than the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I know almost nothing about metallurgy but don't we have to worry about messing with the "temper" of the wheel if we have them powder coated?
If it was a hood latch ,...no big deal.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
...........consult your ASM manual.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The following information was submitted from the Motorsports form on the BBS USA website at 9:03 on 6/26/17.

Full Name: Gary Jean
Email Address: gary@garyjean.com

Standard wheels are BBS cast. Option wheels are BBS forged.

What is your recommendation about powder coating either of these wheels?

Gary,

BBS advises against powder coating any of our products as the curing of the powder coating will affect the heat treating of the part. Anodizing as also not recommended for any one piece wheel or wheel center.

Eric Niconovich
Motorsport Sales & Service

BBS of America, Inc.
5320 BBS Drive
Braselton, GA 30517
Tel : 770-967-9574 ext 3028
Fax : 770-967-9578
Email : ericn@bbs-usa.com
Web : www.bbs-usa.com

Biginch Blake

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 4, 2008
Rockville, Indiana
8 years ago I purchased a set of BBS wheels for my GT that had been abused and were aesthetically in bad shape. I took them to a powder company in Indy to have them black. They needed to take them to 300 deg. F to cure. This temperature should not change the strength of the wheel, if you lay a black piece of metal out in the sun on a 100 deg. day it will reach temperatures over 200, you can boil water on it. All they have been used for is track days and have had "0" problems.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Excellent ref. Thanks.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
For the record there is what they classify as a low temperature Powder Coating and a higher temperature powder coating.... Most of the educated wheel guys use to lower temperature powder coating to not disrupt the inherent properties of the metal.. There are after market wheel that come powder coated

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
While powder coating the wheels most likely would not cause any issues, it is probably a better idea to stick with paint.