What’s next?

idigit

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 5, 2019
Iowa
Hey there GT aficionados, I’m looking for suggestions to complete my GT trifecta. I have a 2006 GT and will be getting at NFGT in 2021. Pretty sure I won’t be able to find or afford the real 1966 GT40. If I have Shelby American make a replica of the GT40, will it complete the collection? Or make a mockery of it?

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
same dilemma here...maybe it's okay to have a Shelby continuation MkI or MkII while you save up for a real GT40? there's also a few continuation KarKraft MkIV which are really really cool but they don't come up for sale :(

Reactions: Ed Sims and idigit

68Rcodeman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2008
Spring Hill, FL.
Welcome to the forum and a nice collection of Ford's you have there. Your question is one only you can answer. They are all stepping stones along the way to completing your goal and if the replica is a good fix for your goal until it is reached then add it and enjoy it until your goal is reached. There are very nice cars out there to enjoy. Good luck with your journey.

Reactions: idigit

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
If you want to drive it regularly, a replica is a better choice than the real thing. Plus, you can get A/C. There is nothing wrong with owning a replica. You should have fun and not care what others think of your choices.

Reactions: 2112 and idigit

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Welcome to the forum, Supreformance says 2/3 of their replicas will bolt on to an original.

BtwoG

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Holman-Moody has several original Mk II tubs and will build you a car identical to the Le Mans racers. Last I heard, they wanted around $500k to do so. They have also done some X1s if you want something different.
If you are ever in Charlotte, it's definitely worth stopping by their shop.

Reactions: Stef and idigit

Stef

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 5, 2009
Southern California
Yes, welcome to the forum!!

Been thinking very strongly about the same exact thing. Most likely it will be a Superformance I will settle on.

However,
I Never thought Ford would bring back a GT or produce the 05/06 series, and they did, and of course I would never get one, and then I did. And then on to the NFGT, and the same scenario happened. So you just never know.
Dream and think big!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
You might find this thread at SVTP interesting:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Shelby American doesn't make GT40 replicas. Most do come from Superformance. The primary US dealer is Hillbank (www.hillbankusa.com). They can order you one to spec but have quite a few in stock, both new and used. As with Cobras the "new" one will come without a power train which you have to add yourself. A good place is Olthoff racing although Hillbank can arrange for it.

Another place to look for used one is at www.cobracountry.com

HighHP

GT Owner
Jun 3, 2019
Spokane, WA
I would agree with twobjshelbys. Shelby American has a long and interesting history with Hillbank/Superformance. Shelby continuation cars are ordered by Shelby through Hillbank. It makes no difference to Shelby if you order a continuation from Shelby or Hillbank. Shelby makes the same $$$ either way via licensing contract with Hillbank. If you have time, I would suggest a visit to Shelby Las Vegas and Hillbank/Superformance LA. It will be a trip well worth your time. When I was recently at Hillbank, they had an original Ford GT40 mold. Great contacts are Chris Ruby at Shelby and Ashton Stander at Hillbank. Ashton is a sales guy and does mechanic work as well. He has a GT40 and is intimately familiar with every nut and bolt, that he would love to show/share with you. Ashton is not good at returning calls, but don't get disappointed or give up, he is a great resource. Good luck and have fun.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Welcome. Nothing wrong with getting one of the Supreformance one's in my opinion. What a stable of GT's that will be once you have acquired all three. Congrats.

Vince H

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I would agree with twobjshelbys. Shelby American has a long and interesting history with Hillbank/Superformance. Shelby continuation cars are ordered by Shelby through Hillbank. It makes no difference to Shelby if you order a continuation from Shelby or Hillbank. Shelby makes the same $$$ either way via licensing contract with Hillbank. If you have time, I would suggest a visit to Shelby Las Vegas and Hillbank/Superformance LA. It will be a trip well worth your time. When I was recently at Hillbank, they had an original Ford GT40 mold. Great contacts are Chris Ruby at Shelby and Ashton Stander at Hillbank. Ashton is a sales guy and does mechanic work as well. He has a GT40 and is intimately familiar with every nut and bolt, that he would love to show/share with you. Ashton is not good at returning calls, but don't get disappointed or give up, he is a great resource. Good luck and have fun.

My point is that Shelby American does not participate in the GT40 replica business. A number of years ago they produced some "85th birthday" editions, which did not sell out and for which some might be still available. Shelby American only does Cobras (and of course the ongoing Mustang and other modern vehicles) but GT40s are only available from Superformance. There are other Superformance dealers besides Hillbank but Lance has the best standing inventory of all.

Last edited:

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Welcome to the forum, Supreformance says 2/3 of their replicas will bolt on to an original.

Yeah, and they used to claim 95% but the number slowly backs off over time...

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I was at Shelby in Vegas last weekend. They had 2 or 3 GT40 repros on the floor for sale that looked cool. No prices listed on cars.

Ed

PS They also had the pre-'05/06 GT mule that Ford gave to Shelby before he died. It's for sale.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Work Horse 1 (WH1), painted in Kip Ewings garage one night, 4.6 terminator motor. Its been for sale for a long time, and will be for a lot longer. A few years ago, ask was $1m.

PS They also had the pre-'05/06 GT mule that Ford gave to Shelby before he died. It's for sale.

Reactions: Ed Sims

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Work Horse 1 (WH1), painted in Kip Ewings garage one night, 4.6 terminator motor. Its been for sale for a long time, and will be for a lot longer. A few years ago, ask was $1m.
It's really rough. Not street legal. Beat up memory machine only. They should take the For Sale sign off & display it forever.

Ed

Reactions: roketman

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Also noted by those that drove it, was before they came up with the proper shifting cables, so it barely shifted. A nostalgic paperweight for sure.

GTinTN

GT Owner
Jan 17, 2019
Brentwood, TN
Remember the old saying "imitation is the highest form of flattery"!
If you want one, get it. Life is too short to have regrets later!!!!