Whats a good price on 2006 Gray GT?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
So I have begun the dreaded part of the process, trying to nail down the right price on the Ford GT. So far, I have actually found 2 dealers willing to sell the car at sticker. (2006 Tungsten grey with all 4 options). I am curious if I should hold out for a lower price, as I live in chicago, and even if I pick the car up right now, it will do me no good, as I cant drive it here, and I would have to store it.

Should I wait? Will it afford me a better price? What is the best price I should expect to get one at right now, or in 2 months? or longer?

I appeciate the insight from those that own these cars, as obviously you have already been through the process. I understand some of you just paid whatever it took to get the car, others were more frugal like me :biggrin. I'd like to hear from the frugal shoppers, and I would like every advantage when buying my GT. Thanks.

Jon

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Decide what price you want to pay and send it to every Tungsten GT that turns up on Ebay. This is not a limited Color as so many dealers think. I personally think these will soften quickly because the color will not be as popular as everyone thinks. Keep in mind there still producing GT's faster than there selling them, and with the Huge Discounts on 05's alot of buyers will be taken off the market buying 05's. I would think $7k Off MSRP on an 06 should be attainable soon. If you limit yourself to your own state you may have to pay more.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I am looking for a dealer to order me a car to spec. It is hard to find a dealer with an allocation, or one with a car on order than can be modified. My thinking is to:

1. wait and find a dealer that will order me a car at a good price.

2. Buy a loaded GT now from stock if a real good deal is found much less than MSRP.

3. Buy from stock in the springtime at then market prices. My guess is prices will soften a lot in the next few months. Production is still greater than sales with over 1000 cars still in inventory. Although Dec. sold about 200 cars, the highest monthly sales yet. I believe more than 250 cars are built per month. If want you want is a fully loaded Tungsten GT and you are willing to look out side of your state, then you should have no problem finding one later for a lower price than today.

BlackICE

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
I was just about to buy and stopped. I think the prices will drop some more and based on Chase's residual value of these cars being less then 40% of the value in two years, they are telling me something

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
hockeynut said:
I was just about to buy and stopped. I think the prices will drop some more and based on Chase's residual value of these cars being less then 40% of the value in two years, they are telling me something
40% thats Unreal, What do they know that we don't? I know on Highline Japanese cars its 67% after 2 years.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Is this some kind of online program that predicts future value? I don't think the prices will fall much more than 10% below MSRP for a new GT. Used in the future is anyones guess. If you use the MSRP prices as the base, not the inflated prices earlier buyers had to pay, I don't think the depreciation will be bad compared to other cars. In 10 years I would expect the car in excelent condition to be more than 50% of MSRP, maybe 100% of MSRP. Of course what will the inflation rate be?

The bottom line buy the car if you will enjoy owning and driving it, not for an investment. Cars are poor investments!

BlackICE

KERRY P

GT Owner
Dec 31, 2005
YORBA LINDA CALIFORNIA
West Coast deals are tough but if you work it, good deals can be found. I would only consider an 06 car regardless of the discounted 05 cars around the country. Bottom line is the 05 cars will always be a year older and worth less money. I was quite saisfied in paying 170K for an optioned out 06 and it did come from Washington. Just had to ship it to California where I can enjoy it in the sunshine!!!!!!

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
KERRY P said:
West Coast deals are tough but if you work it, good deals can be found. I would only consider an 06 car regardless of the discounted 05 cars around the country. Bottom line is the 05 cars will always be a year older and worth less money.>>

Maybe for a few years, but since the 05 and 06 cars are the same I think that they will be worth the same in the long run (except, maybe, for the first 400 cars of the 05 model year which may always be worth somewhat less)

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
I agree with BlackICE,
CARS ARE NOT INVESTMENTS. Very similar to other personal property like my boat. I think anyone that is stretching to buy this car for investment is going in the wrong direction. Most of us owners love cars and have had or still own many of the world’s best sports cars to DRIVE. We are driving Enthusiasts. I can't understand how if you love driving you would wait 6 months or more to potentially save 5k. My opinion is go out and enjoy your passion. I bought my car in Sept. for 168K, when I decided, I wanted the car, I found one and bought it. I have really enjoyed the last 6 months owning and driving the GT. We've had forum members that have cars on order for over 6 months to save a few thousand and then routinely criticize the price other owners had paid in the past. I admit it, if I had waited, I too could have gotten my car for 5k under list. I guess I am not that smart.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
saber said:
I agree with BlackICE,
CARS ARE NOT INVESTMENTS. Very similar to other personal property like my boat. I think anyone that is stretching to buy this car for investment is going in the wrong direction. Most of us owners love cars and have had or still own many of the world’s best sports cars to DRIVE. We are driving Enthusiasts. I can't understand how if you love driving you would wait 6 months or more to potentially save 5k. My opinion is go out and enjoy your passion. I bought my car in Sept. for 168K, when I decided, I wanted the car, I found one and bought it. I have really enjoyed the last 6 months owning and driving the GT. We've had forum members that have cars on order for over 6 months to save a few thousand and then routinely criticize the price other owners had paid in the past. I admit it, if I had waited, I too could have gotten my car for 5k under list. I guess I am not that smart.

Exactly, I wanted the car, wanted the pleasure of owning it, paid a premium,
so what... Center's web site is great, but price was not the issue. I also believe that dealers are keeping a lot of cars for themselves, thats what I would do if I had a Ford store :biggrin

One thing I learned while doing auction market reviews on the collector car market where there is a vin # data base. Many transactions are upside down for the seller. We all hear about the Hemi's that are sky rocketing, but what about the #1 small Birds that are driven for a year, now in #2 condition and get sold for $40k less. Investments, nope, but a hell of a ride for a year. :cheers

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
saber said:
I agree with BlackICE,

Maybe you missed my location, its Chicago, IL !! You like snow? I dont. You like salt on the roads you are going to drive your GT on ? I dont. So I am only entertaining waiting until after the winter season is over, thats all. I agree, if I was trying to get the ultimate deal, I'd wait another year or even 2, and pick up some GT that a dealer sat on so long, he is just fed up with it, and practically wants to give it away. (as I have done with one of the new vipers I bought). So thats why I asked, if the deal was good for now, and if I should expect it to get any better in a couple of months, once the threat of snow, ice and cold weather leaves this area. Sure I could buy it, and store it until then, but why ? Too look at it? Torcher myself? Nah, I'll buy the car when I can drive it for 7 months straight, and rack up 20k miles :D (that was going rate on my Viper ACR, and it will be for the Ford GT, if I have my way).

Thanks for the insight guys. I personally like the gray and silver stripes, so thats what I have my heart set on, not what its resale value is.

Jon

saber

GT Owner
Sep 25, 2005
NYC
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR said:
Maybe you missed my location, its Chicago, IL !! You like snow? I dont. You like salt on the roads you are going to drive your GT on ? I dont. So I am only entertaining waiting until after the winter season is over, thats all. I agree, if I was trying to get the ultimate deal, I'd wait another year or even 2, and pick up some GT that a dealer sat on so long, he is just fed up with it, and practically wants to give it away. (as I have done with one of the new vipers I bought). So thats why I asked, if the deal was good for now, and if I should expect it to get any better in a couple of months, once the threat of snow, ice and cold weather leaves this area. Sure I could buy it, and store it until then, but why ? Too look at it? Torcher myself? Nah, I'll buy the car when I can drive it for 7 months straight, and rack up 20k miles :D (that was going rate on my Viper ACR, and it will be for the Ford GT, if I have my way).

Thanks for the insight guys. I personally like the gray and silver stripes, so thats what I have my heart set on, not what its resale value is.

Jon
Jon,
My post wasn't directed towards you or anyone in particular for that matter. Your rational makes perfect sense. However, I think you are fairly new to this forum and what you may not know is that it has been an ongoing debate about when to buy the GT to get the best price and what do you speculate prices will be in the future (mostly down). All of this is fine however, there was actually a few posts that were made that implied current owners are stupid for buying the GT when they did because prices are dropping and they paid too much. There was even an a few instances where an owner was discussing some topic and happen to write how much he paid for the GT. The owner was then "jump-ed on" in several follow-on posts by some spectators for being *^&%$ enough to pay such a price. I am sure that most owners would not trade the time they have had with the GT to get a reduced price today. That is my only point. To your point, we all know that if you wait 5 years you could get a 06 GT with 400 miles for much less money than today but I dont think that is the attitude on this forum. I hope everyone who buys the GT in the future gets a fair price. Thanks

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
saber said:
Jon,
My post wasn't directed towards you or anyone in particular for that matter. Your rational makes perfect sense. However, I think you are fairly new to this forum and what you may not know is that it has been an ongoing debate about when to buy the GT to get the best price and what do you speculate prices will be in the future (mostly down). All of this is fine however, there was actually a few posts that were made that implied current owners are stupid for buying the GT when they did because prices are dropping and they paid too much. There was even an a few instances where an owner was discussing some topic and happen to write how much he paid for the GT. The owner was then "jump-ed on" in several follow-on posts by some spectators for being *^&%$ enough to pay such a price. I am sure that most owners would not trade the time they have had with the GT to get a reduced price today. That is my only point. To your point, we all know that if you wait 5 years you could get a 06 GT with 400 miles for much less money than today but I dont think that is the attitude on this forum. I hope everyone who buys the GT in the future gets a fair price. Thanks

Great points, I see a great following for the GT. Guys that would never consider a European super car, Viper owners. Well, frankly, some of them are pushing their financial resources to buy a GT and it will no doubt be the most expensive car they have ever purchased. These guys are naturally looking for a 'deal' opposed to guys who have been buying cars in this price range. Again, just my gut, I know I could have bought better, Center's web site is so well done, you have to be an idiot to disgree. I just wanted instant gratification.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
saber said:
Jon,

Saber I couldn't agree with you more. I paid 165,000 (9 over MSRP) for mine and it is worth ever dime.While some are shopping, dealing, grinding posting and dare I say it bad mouthing, we are having a ball.
What some (one in particular) might be missing is that many here make 5,000 every few days and although they didn't become successful becuase they are stupid or throw money away, they also arn't going to let 5 to 50 grand stop them from having the most fun/stress release they can without going to jail or loosing the wife.
Also some, like my Dad are old school/depression era and can't even sleep if they don't get the cheepest deal on the block. Pops is still sending weekley updates on GT pricing. :bang This doesn't make either of us right or wrong just different prospectives, priorities and places in life .

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the clarity. I'd be carefull with catagorizing Viper owners as probably needing to strech their budgets to get this car. About everyone of the Vipers I personally know has owned multiple vipers at a time (easily equaling the cost of a Ford GT), but many more have Ferraris, Lambo's, BMW's and MB's to go with their Vipers. I wont stereo type covette guys either, saying they probably would be the ones stretched to make this happen, because I would be creating the same falacy. Viper owners buy Vipers because thats what "gets them going" and many have no interest in the Ford GT, because they are brand loyal to a Dodge, or its just not their cup of tea. A Viper comp coupe costs about 140k+ and if you race it a lot, it will cost you a lot more then most will ever spend on their Ford GT, also one Viper owner that I know owns 3 of them (1 comp coupe, and 2 other race vipers) AND A Carrera GT (and he is VERY frugal). You didnt hurt my feelings, just explaining, some of us are frugal no matter how much we make. For perspective, I bought my Father a brand new 2005 SRT-10 for Christmas. Paid cash. The Ford GT is hardly a strech in my book, but I'm frugal, I will admit it completely. $5,000 for a few days of work, is still $5,000 of my money, and $5000 worth of work I had to do in the office, instead of out driving my GT. A cup of coffee is nice in the morning, but if a guy wants $100 bucks for it, I'll go without coffee that day, and look for something a little more reasonable. Sure I missed coffee that day, but it wont kill me.. especially when the coffee is a GT and the weather sucks around me !!

No one is wrong, thats the beauty of Man kind, we all have our own perspectives and paradigms. I just like having my own, and hearings about others.

Thanks.

Jon

PS. I also strongly believe in 'family' concept when dealing with exclusive cars, such as Vipers and GTs, so I wouldnt ever call someone an idiot/@$$/.. etc because they chose to go a different route then me in their purchase price point. Hopefully some of the first buyers and most recent buyers can let the price point 'racism' go, and realise they are all part of the GT Family. I personally am jeleous of anyone who got the car before I did, because they got to enjoy it before I did !! But being frugal, forces me to balance that with my own personal level of price prudence.

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
First off, your a better son than me, Dad got USC tickets (and yes Dad I got a deal). :biggrin
I think you took a bit from my post and a bit from a few others and came up with I'm bashing Viper owners. That was not my intent and I'll bet no one elses either. I sold a 02 z06 last year and may by a 06. What chevy and Dodge have done for under 100 grand is mind blowing.
The reason for my last post was to comment on some of the bashing of people on here that bought cars months back and paid more than people still on the fence are going to pay.
As for the $100 cup of coffee, I believe that is just a bit of a stretch for a comparison. Coffee is readily available, can be bought by anyone and $100 is 20 times more than the best cup in town. If I were looking and needed a cup bad, I might drop $6 but it had better taste better than the coffee the Ferrari guy is drinking.
The best example IMHO is the very one we are discussing. Some wanted it now and paid for that, others are looking to play the shopping game. No one has called the later cheep so why call the others stupid? (I do realize it wasn't you doing the name calling).
Take Care, Steve

Last edited:

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Jan 1, 2006
Chicago, IL
Steve,

I did blend my response. It was to address a number of the posts that came after mine. (notice how I didnt address it to you, like this one does) Like I said, I didnt get my feelings hurt, I was explaining the perspective I have on the situation. I still like my analagy on coffee, because the Ford GT is not the only super car in the world, seems eveyone has their own cup of coffee for this one. Seems eveyone from MB, Dodge, Ford, Chevy, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Jaguar, Maserati, Maybach, Panoz,and VW all have different prices and flavors for their coffee (all have cars 100k+). So I chose the coffee (Ford makes) and now I am looking for the best price on it. Just as unreasonable as it is to you to over spend on a cup of coffee, is just how unreasonable I think it is for me to overspend on a car. (Also, I did watch a guy give a girl $100 bucks for a cup of coffee the other morning and told her to keep the rest as a tip, I thought that was insane, but the girl was really cute, and he apparently wasnt bothered to expense that cash freely like that :eek ).

Again this is about how I feel when it comes to buying a car, not how I am judging other people who have little or no concern on paying more then sticker for their car (compeletly their choice). This post is to find what folks feel is a good deal/price on a tungsten grey 2006 GT with all options. Because thats exactly what I want.

Thanks folks.

Jon

Last edited:

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Viper, you have a PM.

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
No one more brand loyal than myself. I own / ed 4 of the mentioned Dodges. Sold the RT/10 early spring 05, Comp Coupe will not sell...this is my feel the need car. Simple put the only Viper that does it for me anymore is my Comp Coupe. I will be putting my 1996 GTS up for sale and also my 2006 FE on the block also. I am so in love with this GT it is unbelievable. The Viper is a great car & I thank dodge for building it, but......

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
FrankBarba said:
No one more brand loyal than myself. I own / ed 4 of the mentioned Dodges. Sold the RT/10 early spring 05, Comp Coupe will not sell...this is my feel the need car. Simple put the only Viper that does it for me anymore is my Comp Coupe. I will be putting my 1996 GTS up for sale and also my 2006 FE on the block also. I am so in love with this GT it is unbelievable. The Viper is a great car & I thank dodge for building it, but......
I Thank Dodge for building the First Gen car not the second I have owned 2 of them. The Second Gen Car is joke, The Z06 walks on it for alot less money. Dodge needs to go back to the drawing board and come out with Viper people actually want to buy with alot more HP.