What would you rather have?

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
BTW, as far as I'm concerned the rapid infusion of technology in modern cars makes the GT pretty much the last of a breed. Starting for the 2012 model year all cars sold in the U.S. have to have stability control, and almost all of them now have electric steering and brakes (meaning no direct mechanical connection between the driver controls and the wheels). This will probably make cars safer and even faster on a track, but like electro-hydraulic clutches that doesn't necessarily make them more fun to drive.

GT represents a very unique moment in time. Enough technology to create a world beater but enough restraint from Ford to keep it pure and real in terms of design and engineering. And if you don't believe me just check the car's "depreciation" since new. Now find me a car built in similar production numbers that has held up remotely as well. As we all know, these things are special. Letting one go should be reserved for financial emergencies only IMHO.

Of course I chased mine for 3 and 1/2 years, and like some of you I visited her on the assembly line and took delivery with 7 miles on the odo, so I'm probably biased. One thing's for sure, I can't ever do that with a classic Ferrari or an F1, so I better just keep her. :)
Very well said. +1

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
I think the reason I bought 2 2010 Vipers was because they will indeed be the last of the nannieless cars (at least that was one of the excuses I used)

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The least you could have done was havew the guys Rolexes. And a colonoscope to look in a safe? Where have your hands been lately?

f4udriver

GT Owner
May 9, 2011
Springfield, Il.
Waldo
I already have one of these

My next car will have a 10 or 12 cylinder 10,000 rpm motor. Trying to figure that out now. Not sure what will handle the rpm's but with today's technology who knows.

I always liked the Corvette GT race cars, there is a replica out there but they don't look like they have sold many yet.

djs

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jun 7, 2007
Shannon Elizabeth.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Saleen S7...

Anyone considering one should at least sit in it first. 'Not easy to get in & out of, nor is the driving position real comfy. 'Driver's legs hafta sit off at too much of an angle to suit me, and his feet hafta reside in a child's shoe box. And then there's that 6' wide door sill. :willy

Of course, if a guy's in his 20's or 30's...:biggrin

Persnickity Pockets

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
One of the prettiest planes ever imo

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
:agree: Whistling Death.

daytrayd

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 23, 2010
Austin, TX
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Saleen S7, a limited-production, hand-built, high-performance American supercar which has had considerable success at Le Mans and uses a Ford powerplant.

0-60 mph (97 km/h): 2.8 sec
0-100 mph (161 km/h): 5.9 sec
0-200 mph (322 km/h): 27 sec
Quarter-mile: 10.5 sec
Top speed: 248 mph (399 km/h)

S7 would be my one of my top choices if money was no object, that and a Mclaren F1. This topic started as money was an object, but has gone on a tangent which is ok with me. An original Cobra would be at the top as well. S7 would be the best "value" out of those three.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
To keep going on the S7, this would look nice next to my no stripe, black, w black wheels.... Too bad that is a very large number...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-SALEEN-S7-TT-2006-SALEEN-S7-TT-TWIN-TURBO-BLACK-BLACK-1152-MILES-S-7-/130571054890?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e66a42f2a

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
To keep going on the S7, this would look nice next to my no stripe, black, w black wheels.... Too bad that is a very large number...
Keep in mind there are FGT's for sale with large numbers too...'doesn't mean the seller will get 'em.

In the vertical ribbon of photos on that ebay ad ("slide show"?), #7 from the bottom clearly shows the "6' foot wide" door sill I mentioned. The average guy would need a Sherpa to successfully traverse that thing...

Still, the S-7's are one nasty, impressive looking thrill ride. 'No darn question at all about that.

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011
"My next car will have a 10 or 12 cylinder 10,000 rpm motor. Trying to figure that out now. Not sure what will handle the rpm's but with today's technology who knows."

Pretty easy actually. There are a lot of exotics that do 10,000 RPMs. There are also some Japanese engines that do that, not sure what cars though.

FastFords

Apr 20, 2011
Keep in mind there are FGT's for sale with large numbers too...'doesn't mean the seller will get 'em.

In the vertical ribbon of photos on that ebay ad ("slide show"?), #7 from the bottom clearly shows the "6' foot wide" door sill I mentioned. The average guy would need a Sherpa to successfully traverse that thing...

Still, the S-7's are one nasty, impressive looking thrill ride. 'No darn question at all about that.
Well if you really think about the design of the S7, it follows that of a Pro 1 class race car. Really long wheel base with a fairly wide body and a kind of small cockpit. The door sill is big enough to sleep on. The same could be said about the Ford MkIV's of the 60's, which is arguably one of the grand daddies of today's modern Pro class race cars. The S7 is a beautiful car, but it was designed around a race car, not a street car. From the pin drive wheels to the tail lights, it was meant for the track. :biggrin If you look at its price tag, it has a LOT of bang for the buck.

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
I have seen a couple S7's at a dealer here in Houston. VERY IMPRESSIVE. Did hear something about them really having troubles being street legal. Emissions problem, But if one can afford the car, I think one could afford the no inspection sticker ticket. LOL

Larry

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Excluding classics (7 figure 40-60 year old museum pieces), what would you rather have than your GT? I know this gets asked from time to time but I wonder if anything new out there has changed your mind.

The question is not in addition to your GT but what would you give it up for and rather have ?

In my own case, and Italia comes to mind but if someone put it next to a GT and said they cost the same it would be no contest. But it is a wonderful car. A couple of weeks back I had a yearning for vert, and went with a 2010 Viper just for fun, but frankly even though it is almost 6 years old I am hard pressed to find ANYTHING that rings the bell like a GT.

I suspect this may only further manifest itself giving govt intervention. I would be interested if there is anything new out there I am missing.

H

HHGT

Only one for me... An Enzo

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Only one for me... An Enzo
I had you pegged for the new M5 with the Ipad adaptor. Damn.

H

HHGT

I had you pegged for the new M5 with the Ipad adaptor. Damn.
You too.......Geez!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Heritage

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
That price in half, is still a big number. And I will gladly climb in over a 12' door sill to slide into that Left seat....