What would you have bought.....

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
My short answer to the original question....Saleen S7. :thumbsup

Kevin.....if we're talk'in about cars we want....then I agree...I love that car

Or are we talk'in about cars we were about to buy when considering our purchase, an then decided on the GT.

If you went with the GT over the S7 you are thee man

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
911 Turbo or GT3, I've got an 87 911 but the new ones are good, if a bit common..These are fine cars though.

I tracked the 23 year old 911 last summer at Skip Barber, the car was flawless if a bit slow. Lots of newer cars smoked their brakes and blew their engines.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Chris I was scheming on an S7....had the deal gone through I would have went for it. Now the truth is, after 16,000 miles and nearly 4 years, I am really glad the deal did not go through! :biggrin

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Well...you are thee man in my book....the S7 is BADASS

But so is your GT:biggrin

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Yes indeed the S7 is one badass ride, in fact I saw one today in the Palisades, a nasty looking black and grey one...but the GT is much more ready to drive on the street and for me, easy for the track. :thumbsup

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Saleen had a Pininfarina looking show car making the rounds a year or two ago. I am guessing the economy killed it for now. Looked good, not sure it was Ford powered though.

Wish Lambo would make this one. :eek

I even love the wheels.

Attachments

• DSC_0089 (3).JPG
    DSC_0089 (3).JPG
    76 KB · Views: 147

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Wow...alot of Muira looks in that baby...

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
That was the Muira concept from Lambo....factory

Now that is my all time favorite car

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Saleen had a Pininfarina looking show car making the rounds a year or two ago. I am guessing the economy killed it for now. Looked good, not sure it was Ford powered though.

Wish Lambo would make this one. :eek

I even love the wheels.

+ 1!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well...you are thee man in my book....the S7 is BADASS

But so is your GT:biggrin

Yes indeed the S7 is one badass ride, in fact I saw one today in the Palisades, a nasty looking black and grey one...but the GT is much more ready to drive on the street and for me, easy for the track. :thumbsup

Have either of you tried to get in/out of one (serious question)? 'Tried the driver's seating position (feet pointing off to the right in the foot well and confined to a SHOEBOX where the pedals are)? I found all 3 above to be a bit too 'challenging' for this old goat. ('Darn near had to pole vault over the sill to get in, and crawl over it to get out! That thing is W-I-D-E. And sitting/driving for any lenght of time with one's feet angling off to Jones's would pbly get pretty tiring pretty fast - at least for "men of a certain age".)

What was you guy's impression in those departments?

(...And, YES, 'ICE, et al - I realize DRIVING IT would not likely BE an actual "issue" for me! :slap)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
(...And, YES, 'ICE, et al - I realize DRIVING IT would not likely BE an actual "issue" for me! :slap)

We both know that, but I know you still get a lot of enjoyment in sitting in your cars while they are in your garage. So getting in and out is still very important. :lol

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
That was the Muira concept from Lambo....factory

Now that is my all time favorite car

Mine too Chris. The second time I went to Cars & Coffee when it was still in Crystal Cove, an elderly gent drove up in an unrestored orange Muira and parked next to me. I looked that beauty over and over for an hour and took a bunch of pictures. First time I ever saw one, and frankly, thought I never would see one.

Waxy

Feb 11, 2010
Calgary, AB, Canada
While I like the looks and the comfort of a few of those EyeTalian cars, the cost of keeping them up is ridiculous. I have loved the style of the Ford GT since the mid sixties and when the new model became available there was just no question that I had to have one. If not the Ford GT, probably nothing in the "exotic" category.

Richard Hille
The GT School

Same here.

After going to the International Auto show here on Saturday and looking at Lambos, Ferraris, Aston-Martins, Maserattis, Spykers, Porsches, Vettes and Vipers, there was NOTHING there that I would take over a GT, even if price was no object.

The Audi R8 is a beautful car, and the experience of driving one put me on the track towards buying a true "sports car", but like quite a few others here, I wouldn't be in the market for an "exotic" if it weren't for the GT.

Waxy

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
I agree that the Ser 1 E-Type coupe is one of the prettiest car designs of all time. I had 2 E-types for over 12 years. Lots of upkeep and repairs however. You gotta keep a diaper under the car for the oil drips. At the end of the day, I sold them both (the coupe to Kirby's friend) and got out even, counting initial cost and repair bills. Lucas wiring is the bane of British car collecting. I've had a couple of incidents with smoke coming out from behind the dash with wires melting. I still get nostalgic about the coupe, especially when someone posts a pic like yours. I took the proceeds from the sale of both Jags and bought a 2nd FGT!

I'm lucky to have a good one then....it's a '65 4.2 that I just cant kill.....It fires up (figuratively:wink) every time I want to take her for a spin.....and sometimes thats months apart......and she leaks a little oil, more like a stain...not a puddle. Love that damn car.

Have either of you tried to get in/out of one (serious question)? 'Tried the driver's seating position (feet pointing off to the right in the foot well and confined to a SHOEBOX where the pedals are)? I found all 3 above to be a bit too 'challenging' for this old goat. ('Darn near had to pole vault over the sill to get in, and crawl over it to get out! That thing is W-I-D-E. And sitting/driving for any lenght of time with one's feet angling off to Jones's would pbly get pretty tiring pretty fast - at least for "men of a certain age".)

What was you guy's impression in those departments?

Never sat in one.....but something tells me I could adapt to the clutch on the passengers side, the steering wheel on the floor and brake tucked under the dash...it just so frickin impressive from the outside.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Never sat in one.....but something tells me I could adapt to the clutch on the passengers side...

Well good! 'Cause that's pretty much EXACTLY where it is! :rofl

The 'wheel & e-brake, however, are found in more common locations! (Unless you were referring to THEE brake! THAT is ALSO over there on the passenger side next to the afore mentioned CLUTCH!:lol)

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Well, I certainly know a lot more about e-types now. :biggrin

I think I have seen a convertible in person. Beautiful car. :cheers

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Dave Bliss; Ford only Machine shop in Puyallup

Brian Mckay; Owns Ault electric out of Tacoma and has one of the largest and most impressive Ford only car collections in the country. I believe he has every Ford Performance car made and the only modification to 99% of them is real wheels and tires. Collection is unbelievable. Some of the rarest Fords made.

I have seen the Ford muscle car collection at Ault electric - I believe the guys name is Gary McKay. He has an 06 blue with white stripe FGT with 25 miles on it in the display. Ed

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I have seen the Ford muscle car collection at Ault electric - I believe the guys name is Gary McKay. He has an 06 blue with white stripe FGT with 25 miles on it in the display. Ed

Yes, Gary, not Brian. Brain cramp. 25 miles :confused a museum piece only I guess. It has been many years since I visited there.

Bruceky

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
Wanted a GT really bad but woudn't pay the 50 grand over sticker my dealer was asking when introduced. Bought a Porsche but wanted more so when I heard of the ZR1 I stepped up and ordered one. By the time it arrived the price had progressed to 120 K. I sold the ZR1 the morning it arrived and purchased a real car in the afternoon, a Ford GT .

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
If I didn't get the FGT I was in the market for a Shelby GT40 with an aluminum 427 and stack fuel injection at the time with left hand drive.

Next in line was a Porsche GT3RS.

I'm glad I ended up with the FGT.

While Ferraris and Lambos are nice they never stirred my soul as Bony used to say. Why? Don't know. I just love American muscle and next in line Porsches.

On the subject of WWII fighters while I love the Mustang P51Ds my favorite from that era the ME109D and FW190 short nose. Both had an elegant lethality to them that can't be matched.

Last edited: