What tires are recommended for the track?

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
What tires should I run on my GT for the track?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Ford,

Hoosier R/6 or R/7

P255/40ZR18 Front
P315/40ZR19 Rear

I use them on the street and the track. Amazing grip, they will make you feel like you are a better driver than you really are!

Chip

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I use them on the street and the track. Amazing grip, they will make you feel like you are a better driver than you really are

I also agree with Chip. Even light road wetness is ok. Standing water is not good. I have over 25K miles on Hoosiers. They last, for me, as long as other tires. Nothing stickier!

Ed

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I thought the Bridgestones did great. Alot better than my memory of any of the Goodyear (I had them on Mustangs)

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
^^
^^
Yes but those are street tires.
The Hoosier is a slick.
That's what you want.
They don't make the R6 anymore so buy the R7.
That's what I run at the track.
If you find the R6 it's older. And you can't mix R6 and R7 the compound is different.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
For the track you want the Hoosiers. Read many of the tire threads on this forum by doing a search. Lots of good info.

Ed

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
What tires should I run on my GT for the track?

Fordcarsforfun, I would first ask how MUCH track experience you have before recommending "track" tires. Yes many use Hoosier tires both on and off the track with good success. And they are good racing slicks which are not inexpensive.

But the FGT has SO much intrinsic track capability with either the OE Goodyear's or the newer style Bridgestone's, unless you are a VERY experienced driver with the ability to extract all or nearly all capability these two street tires possess, you will be economically rewarded by using the street tires for a while.

Remember, the whole FGT development program which included many, many hours of track verification/qualification was done with the OE Goodyear's. As a longtime Forum participant, I have been lucky to ride as a passenger in a FGT on the track under the steerage of Mr. McGowan and Mr. Martindale with Goodyear tires. Both these drivers were part of the FGT development program. The pace these experienced drivers can demonstrate with a stock FGT is quite amazing and needs to be experienced to solidify belief.

If you find yourself extracting the traction limits of the car through your driving skills, then you might consider dropping the big bucks on a set of Hoosier track tires. IMO.

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
Thanks so much that is very insightful and helpful.

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
I really appreciate all the feedback. This has been very helpful.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Although I certainly try to avoid it, I'm often at risk of being caught in the rain. No slicks for me, which have to be the best. In my experience the Bridgestones are better than the GYs as they will give you warning before the spinning starts.

Do you have dedicated track wheels/tires? Do you trailer your car? Do you live in Phoenix or Seattle?

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
Miller motor sports track now called Utah motor sports campus. Prefer to drive but can do either.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Fordcarsforfun, I would first ask how MUCH track experience you have before recommending "track" tires. Yes many use Hoosier tires both on and off the track with good success. And they are good racing slicks which are not inexpensive.

But the FGT has SO much intrinsic track capability with either the OE Goodyear's or the newer style Bridgestone's, unless you are a VERY experienced driver with the ability to extract all or nearly all capability these two street tires possess, you will be economically rewarded by using the street tires for a while.

Remember, the whole FGT development program which included many, many hours of track verification/qualification was done with the OE Goodyear's. As a longtime Forum participant, I have been lucky to ride as a passenger in a FGT on the track under the steerage of Mr. McGowan and Mr. Martindale with Goodyear tires. Both these drivers were part of the FGT development program. The pace these experienced drivers can demonstrate with a stock FGT is quite amazing and needs to be experienced to solidify belief.

If you find yourself extracting the traction limits of the car through your driving skills, then you might consider dropping the big bucks on a set of Hoosier track tires. IMO.

What he said. The "street tires" used on the GT (both originals and much improved Bridgestones) are more than enough for 90% of us. At R9 I never had to hold back because the tires weren't up to it. But people with higher skills (and more powerful cars to make use of) like Chip definitely need better rubber.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I disagree. Sticky tires will benefit novice to pro. When I took all my classes to get my SCCA license no one told me to get tires that don't stick to be a better driver. Yes, good drivers can drive on anything but all drivers can drive sticky tires.

Also, I was told by Todd at Tire Rack that the reason they originally made the Hoosier in the OEM rear size for our GTs is that some of the GT testing was done on Hoosiers. That tire size only is for our GTs.

Ed

Fordcarsforfun

GT Owner
Apr 13, 2016
Nice to know.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
I disagree. Sticky tires will benefit novice to pro. When I took all my classes to get my SCCA license no one told me to get tires that don't stick to be a better driver. Yes, good drivers can drive on anything but all drivers can drive sticky tires.

Also, I was told by Todd at Tire Rack that the reason they originally made the Hoosier in the OEM rear size for our GTs is that some of the GT testing was done on Hoosiers. That tire size only is for our GTs.

Ed

Thanks for your thoughts Ed, and although I appreciate your position, I still must respectively disagree.

First, let’s take the Goodyear tires out of the conversational mix for this thread. The OE F1 Supercar tires delivered on our car were good in the day but tire technology has come a long way in the intervening 15 years. Many owners (but not all) have migrated to the newer Bridgestone tires for our cars. They ARE better tires than the OE Goodyear’s.

Subjectively they are quieter running, have good traction properties and have a stiffer sidewall for cornering. In speaking to FGT development engineers over the years, the sidewall “compliance” the Bridgestone’s tires have is really what the development team wanted in the first place. Goodyear tired hard (remember twice through the alphabet on submissions) and the final “full-wrap” tire design did satisfy the program performance goals. But the newer Bridgestone design does a much better job with this (and other) tire characteristics. As an aside, Scott Almen’s new shock package for the FGT was developed and refined on a FGT with Bridgestone tires.

Oh and Todd at Tire Rack may think that Hoosier sizes were specifically targeted for the FGT program, but they were not. It is well known Goodyear REALLY wanted to be on the production car and went back to the design board many (many, many, many) times to vary tire/tread carcass construction which changed handling characteristics to satisfy the development engineering targets. The development team may have had a few sets of other manufacturer tires around during testing, but only as an incentive to keep Goodyear working to meet tire design goals. No other tire manufacturer was seriously in the game for the 05-06 FGT. Remember too, FGT tire development was soon after the Explorer, Firestone Wilderness tire fiasco and Ford was absolutely going to protect the FGT with a fully functional, SAFE tire from a well respected tire manufacturer. This is what we got.

When learning High Performance Driving (HPD), grip is not a key factor. In fact learning the “racing line” (ie quickest path around the track) is paramount in the learning development cycle. Knowledge development of the line can be taught in the rain or snow under low grip conditions just as easily as warm and sunny track conditions. Just at a lower speed. Being smooth (thanks rocketman) in driving technique, consistent linear throttle/brake application, understanding track terms (brake zone, turn in, apex, track out, trail braking, etc) and down track vision are (IMO) all more important than “grip” up through intermediate level HPD. Vehicle speed comes with comfort on the track; knowing what to expect from the car, where to place the car on the track for the next turn and vehicle feedback (audio and kinematic). The beginning student has a ton of other things to try to understand and process before he gets to grip threshold. This is why knowing driver experience level BEFORE jumping to grippier tire suggestions is really part of answering Fordcarsforfun’s original question.

Your premise “…all drivers can drive sticky tires” is true, but do they NEED them to have fun on the track. I think one can have a jolly good time on the track with the lower cost, rain weather protected and great handling Bridgestone tires. The FGT has so much inherent track capability in its OE design (with street tires) you have to be quite experienced at driving technique to push the car limits. Enjoy the track experience with Bridgestones.:biggrin

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Many owners (but not all) have migrated to the newer Bridgestone tires for our cars. They ARE better tires than the OE Goodyear’s.

But the newer Bridgestone design does a much better job with this).

The Bridgestone Scuderia rear tires were OEM for the Ferrari Enzo in 2003.

You're saying the Goodyear F1 design for the Ford GT is older than 2003?

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Well Gary, I do not know the timeline on the Scuderia tire development.

IF what you represent is correct it would seem they were developed during the same period. I really do not know. (Take that as a historical challenge to find out, buddy:lol) I thought (without researching) they were a newer generation tire.

But I have been told by a number of technical people (who know and understand tires at a much higher level than moi) and advanced FGT drivers, the Bridgestone tires bring a much superior level of handling characteristic to our car relative to the original Goodyear's.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
We disagree which is fine.

The Hoosiers were never in the running as an OEM tire for the GT. That's one place you misunderstood my post. Did Hoosier make that tire for us? Absolutely yes. That size is only for the 05-06 GT rear. I am told Ford wanted a sticky tire during testing so Hoosier stepped up & made it.

I have been told by many, probably the same amount that has told you the opposite, that the Goodyear is superior to the Bridgestone. I personally feel they are equal having driven with both. They are both the same age & design. I'm not sure where you read that the Bridgestone design & construction is different the Goodyear. The Ford drivers at Rally 10 that were driving at Ford's test track said they love the Goodyears.

From all the years that I have raced as a SCCA driver & the many miles of track time I have had: I have to state that sticky tires are safer for all experience & skill levels on the track.

Ed

PS On the Mile & all high speed events the Hoosiers are recommended over any other tire.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
The Bridgestones have a slightly larger footprint than the Goodyears. 265 and 345 vs. 245 and 315. This alone could mean more dry grip.

The Bridgestones also seem to be a bit less cold temperature sensitive and are certainly quieter on concrete.

The Bridgestones are consistently cheaper than the Goodyears, which is why I buy them. :biggrin

Last edited:

PeteK

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 18, 2014
Kalama, Free part of WA State
Fordcarsforfun: Run what ya got on the car already. After you wear them down, THEN think about what next. Stickier tires "let go" faster than street tires, and these cars will spin with alacrity, especially under throttle, so get used to that first.

Last edited: