what is a gt worth?

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
There's a few of us here who've spent a couple of million or so on cars - when we've got a unlimited choice of what we want in our garages, what did we choose? Yup, coulda had a Rarri. Didn't. Might get a 599, not sure.

The fit and finish on my Vanquish was adequate, not extraordinary. I didn't rate the Murcielago any more in this area, I think Ferrari and Maserati are good in this territory also in the engine bay too. The GT fit finish is adequate (uh, it's not a luxury barge, it's a sports car), the engine bay makes me a bit wobbly with desire.

Talking of luxury barges, the Bentley is lovely. Horses for courses.

I think Ferrari's are wonderful cars, as are Lambo's. My dream car remains the 250SWB (but let's not get into that....!) - point is that the GT stands easily alongside all of them. In many cases head and shoulders above.

It must be very irritating if you don't have one. :lol

Apologies for poor sentence structure! Written quickly....

SierraMike

Sep 18, 2007
UK/Chicago
I have a car review where the gandydancer pilot found a severe flaw in the test car - he said the steering wheel was all wrong!

Well, the steering wheel is on the wrong side :biggrin

Sorry ... couldn't help myself :wink

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Apologies for poor sentence structure! Written quickly....

Dr. Frank will pbly forgive yuh. I'll put inna good word...:biggrin

SierraMike

Sep 18, 2007
UK/Chicago
They usually end their statements with, what would you rather drive, a Ford or a Ferrari.

This reminds me of the original advert for the GT40 (umm ... not that I'm that old ... I just remember it from when I was a kid, that's all ... honestly!)

http://www.gt40.org.uk/Features/Adverts.htm

:biggrin

PS Not that there's anything wrong with being old ... I hope to be old myself someday!

Last edited:

SierraMike

Sep 18, 2007
UK/Chicago
I thought when I bought the car that I would drive it a bit, love it, but eventually get tired of its compromises (fuel comsumptio, visibility, lack of luggage space) and sell it...

Where do you put all your stuff? :confused

Either you do laundry everyday or you have support vehicles! :biggrin

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Re: SierraMike's clip:

"You could become the first nine car family in your road"???

Huh? :eek

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Here is an offer for a used car I received today...

We are pleased to offer 2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 s/n 040, a one-owner Veyron 16.4 with only 226 original delivery miles. A unique chance to have a truly "as-new" USA model Bugatti Veyron 16.4. This Veyron is still with the original owner, and is "as-new" as delivered and museum kept. It still has the protective covering over the carpets and kick panels! Priced right at $1,749,950.

2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Serial Number 040

2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 s/n 040 photo

Finished in classic Bugatti two-tone Black with French Racing Blue sides and front fenders, with a Magnolia leather interior and Anthracite trim. The Bugatti Veyron 16.4 features an 8.0 liter, quad-turbo, W-16 producing an awesome 1001 hp and 922 lb-ft of torque, backed by a seven-speed paddle-shift gearbox producing shifts in 150 milliseconds and putting the power to the road through all-wheel drive. This stunning machine can accelerate from 0-62 mph in 2.5 seconds with a real top speed of 252 mph, leaving your neighbor's Enzo or McLaren F1 a rapidly receding speck in the mirror! Braking from 248 mph takes less than 10 seconds as a result of the Veyron's carbon ceramic brakes and rear spoiler that acts as an air brake.

The Veyron 16.4 is a technological tour-de-force and comes complete with a Hewlett-Packard iPAQ Pocket PC that records thirty-five different parameters, recording every time the car is started or moved, recording speed, time, distance, oil and tire pressure, ad infinitum. Standard equipment also includes a photo album showing the car being built, a full set of books, tools, manuals, warranty card, car cover and the original sales/delivery invoice. With a list price of 1,000,000 Euros or $1,400,000 USD, the Veyron sells for a premium over list, with only 50 Veyrons built per year for the world market and a total production run of 300 cars to be built over 6 years.

A unique chance to have a truly "as-new" USA model Bugatti Veyron 16.4. Priced right at $1,749,950.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Aaaah, dang, Bony! It isn't WHITE. Toss the offer in the "round file"...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Aaaah, dang, Bony! It isn't WHITE. Toss the offer in the "round file"...

Hmm, the one next to his desk, or the one in the restroom? :biggrin

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Well Neilda, I only wish I had a few million bucks for cars. I am only a lowly American doctor who has loved cars his whole life.

The funny thing is, Since the start of the 80s I have hated American cars and have not owned one since my 69 Mustang I had in high school. The Ford GT was, in my childhood mind, only an abberation that occurred when I was 10, the planets wouldn't ever align for a great American car that way again...but they did.

I bought a new 911 when I got out of residency 20 years ago and I have kept it and loved it ever since. I watched many cars, new Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos come and go over the years and I admired all of them, but as a non-rich guy, saw them as crappy investments that were really no more fun than my old 911.

Then as I approached 50,I thought I might want to do something for myself and get another car. I looked at the Z-06 and the 911 Turbo, good cars but there are at least three of each in my neighborhood alone, how special is that? The Viper was too uncivilized and a 360 too unreliable, but then I thought of the GT. I looked at the You-Tube clips by Jeremy Clarkson on BBC's Top Gear. I watched the Stig drive it around the course. I then started my search.

In the last three months prices I have observed have risen at 5-7k. I even called the salvage guys since a GT in the 130s does make a difference when you are not a kazillionaire, but better judgement took over. I decided to get the color I wanted if I could find one at MSRP with miles. I found one from Shelby at Elite in Jonesboro, Ark. and sent him a deposit before either of us saw the car (it was coming from California.) Yeah, it has a few miles, but no nicks..not one and is broken in. He was close enough to my home in Mississippi that I could actually drive up and look at the car before I handed him the second biggest check I have ever written.

My point is that this car IS DIFFERENT! It appeals to my Ferrari owner friends, Nascar fans, Porsche drivers (like myself) Americans and Europeans, rednecks and elites.

No more will be built. I firmly believe they will not only hold their value but rise.

It was the best 50th birthday present in the world I could give myself.

The car arrived Friday.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Well Neilda, I only wish I had a few million bucks for cars. I am only a lowly American doctor who has loved cars his whole life.

The funny thing is, Since the start of the 80s I have hated American cars and have not owned one since my 69 Mustang I had in high school. The Ford GT was, in my childhood mind, only an abberation that occurred when I was 10, the planets wouldn't ever align for a great American car that way again...but they did.

I bought a new 911 when I got out of residency 20 years ago and I have kept it and loved it ever since. I watched many cars, new Porsches, Ferraris and Lambos come and go over the years and I admired all of them, but as a non-rich guy, saw them as crappy investments that were really no more fun than my old 911.

Then as I approached 50,I thought I might want to do something for myself and get another car. I looked at the Z-06 and the 911 Turbo, good cars but there are at least three of each in my neighborhood alone, how special is that? The Viper was too uncivilized and a 360 too unreliable, but then I thought of the GT. I looked at the You-Tube clips by Jeremy Clarkson on BBC's Top Gear. I watched the Stig drive it around the course. I then started my search.

In the last three months prices I have observed have risen at 5-7k. I even called the salvage guys since a GT in the 130s does make a difference when you are not a kazillionaire, but better judgement took over. I decided to get the color I wanted if I could find on around MRSP with miles. I found one from Shelby at Elite in Jonesboro, Ark. and sent him a deposit before either of us saw the car (it was coming from California.) Yeah, it has a few miles, but no nicks..not one, is broken in. He was close enough to my home in Mississippi that I could actually drive up and look at the car before I handed him the second biggest check I have ever written.

My point is that this car IS DIFFERENT! It appeals to my Ferrari owner friends, Nascar fans, Porsche drivers (like myself) Americans, and Europeans. No more will be built. I firmly believe they will at the least hold their value.

The car arrived Friday.

VERY well said, Doc! :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

SierraMike

Sep 18, 2007
UK/Chicago
My point is that this car IS DIFFERENT! It appeals to my Ferrari owner friends, Nascar fans, Porsche drivers (like myself) Americans and Europeans, rednecks and elites.

No more will be built. I firmly believe they will not only hold their value but rise.

The car arrived Friday.
Congratulations! It's a great way to celebrate your birthday.

I agree with everything you have said. I currently have a 997S, a car which I love. I was due to change it for a 997TT earlier this year but was disappointed with the test drive so kept the S. I know that the 997TT was still fetching premiums but I felt that the 997S was a way better drive - very subjective.

At the time, I decided to keep my car till I found something more appealing as an everyday car but that's a tall order when you're looking to replace a 997. I'm looking into a 612 at the moment after discounting the Maserati Granturismo for being a GT rather than a sports car. I'm test driving one tomorrow but, if I like it, I only see it as a stopgap till the facelifted 997GT3 comes along.

My other option is to just hang onto my 997S and pick up another sports car. Although I do like the F430, it's up for replacement as well and there's all sorts of speculation as to what and when. I'd rather wait for the replacement.

So the point is this, there are no such concerns with a Ford GT and, in that, the GT is a unique sports car proposition.

• The shape isn't changing - ever
  • The GT is one of the most stunning cars ever to hit the tarmac
  • The performance is out of this world
  • The car has a great heritage

The GT is legendary and, for many, the fulfilment of a dream. It's a car that most would be happy to keep for life. It doesn't get any better than that.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
The GT is legendary and, for many, the fulfilment of a dream. It's a car that most would be happy to keep for life. It doesn't get any better than that.

YEP.

You Said It All.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Congratulations on the car doctor...! A great 50th present.

I know a few doctors by the way - none of them are lowly! :wink :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I know a few doctors by the way - none of them are lowly! :wink :cheers

Certainly not ... after they logged YOU into their billing department!:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Well Neilda, I'll take that as a compliment.