what is a gt worth?

Ed Goetz

Sep 1, 2007
I have my GT posted for sale in the Ford GT Forum for sale section but I have been told by various people that my car is worth as little as $138,000 to as much as $165,000. I'm confused. Can anyone give me some real life feedback? It is an 05, black with silver strips, red calipers, upgraded wheels, MacIntosh, Borla exhaust and a shift kit. 11,000 miles, good tires, perfect condition. I live in California and it has never been driven in the rain.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Have you been offered anything yet? Based on your mileage, I would say it should be priced around $145K-$150K. Good luck with your sale.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay. Have you been offered anything yet? Based on your mileage, I would say it should be priced around $145K-$150K. Good luck with your sale.

I agree completely with Rocman.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ed:

As has been mentioned on a couple threads on this subject, low or "no" mileage cars are pretty much being sold from "sticker" to 10K "over" these days - unless you see the odd (and rare) "fire sale" going on for some reason. And 1 or 2 "low/news" reported here went for slightly BELOW "sticker" - though for the life of me I can't 'figger' why they were sold so cheap!:eek

ROC's estimate for your car's value is pbly pretty close "real world" because of the miles on the clock, though a 6K mile GT did go for $167,900 (or something like that) only a few days ago on ebay.

But, $138K would just be giving it away IMHO.

:cheers

Ed Goetz

Sep 1, 2007
Thanks!

Thank you for your input. Before I posted on the forum, I had an offer from a dealer for $140,000. Then he called me back and said he was having trouble getting financing for his customer and wanted me to sell for $135,000. So, I thought I'd post on the forum asking $143,000 and see if an enthusiast might be interested. My first call was from a broker who said he has a dealer who will pay $138,000. If the low end for the car is $145,000 (absolutely NOTHING wrong with the car) then I guess a dealer would not want to pay more than the $138,000 if they plan to sell at about $150,000. After all, they are in business and are entitled to make a profit -- in this case, about 10% after transportation expenses. Still, I would like to get the extra $5000 --- but, if no one makes an offer by day's end on Tuesday I'll sell it for the $138,000.

Again, guys, thank you for your help.:ack

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
And so it begins. The downward fall. A few years from now, I bet I can hear, "Hey I used to own one of those. I can't believe I sold it so low, if I still had it, hell I could pay off my house and have money left over for another one!" How many times have I said those very words. Then again, it could go the other way, "Boy was I lucky to sell when I did! Look at what they are bringing now!" I have toyed with the notion of selling mine, and for what it's worth, it's on Autotrader, but it's priced safely high so I won't be challenged. Now I'm thinking, as long as I am healthy, I will keep this car and let my kids fight it out when I am dead and long gone. So, guys, give your cars away if you must, as for me, I am keeping mine. Oh, and as for the broker (or dealer) making money, not off me brother, I took the risk, not him! BTW, I am dropping that Autotrader add as soon as I post this. Mine, with 3500 miles, was priced at 169, and have had offers of 155.

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Buying and selling cars is all about the buyer and seller at a particular point in time. Some paid way over msrp, others paid less than invoice. I believe some salvage title GT's have sold for more than $138,000. Anyone who is able to purchase a GT with a good history for that kind of money is getting a very good deal. If it works for the Seller, then it's a win-win.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
PM sent :thumbsup

vyprgt2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2005
CA
I believe some salvage title GT's have sold for more than $138,000>>>

Agreed! 145 is way too low, let alone 138. $150K- plus should be attainable with a little patience....

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I believe some salvage title GT's have sold for more than $138,000>>>

Agreed! 145 is way too low, let alone 138. $150K- plus should be attainable with a little patience....

I agree with vyprgt2 ...........patience ...........patience.

Don't give your gal away !
And the dealer is full of S#^T !

And if I didn't have a Black GT (the fastest color) I'd buy yours !!!!!!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I agree with vyprgt2 ...........patience ...........patience.

Don't give your gal away !
And the dealer is full of S#^T !

And if I didn't have a Black GT (the fastest color) I'd buy yours !!!!!!!!

You 'gotta' be more direct tellin' us how you feel, Jeeerzee! :lol

(By the way - DO YOU EVER check yur "P.M."s? :slap)

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I agree with GTNJ 100% except with one correction.

Red GTs are the fastest!:wink

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I agree with GTNJ 100% except with one correction.

Red GTs are the fastest!:wink

Oh, puleeeeeeeze... The black and the red GT's were the ones Ford downloaded the V-6 programing into, for Pete's sake! And 'even put milder programs in all the rest - except for one. They downloaded the HOT 'programs into the blue/whites. I thought everbuddy knew that?

(INCOMING!!!)

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Oh, puleeeeeeeze... The black and the red GT's were the ones Ford downloaded the V-6 programing into, for Pete's sake! And 'even put milder programs in all the rest - except for one. They downloaded the HOT 'programs into the blue/whites. I thought everbuddy knew that?

(INCOMING!!!)

You're always backwards. It's White/Blue that got the hot programs, not blue/white. :slap

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
You're always backwards. It's White/Blue that got the hot programs, not blue/white. :slap

You guys are mental .... everyone knows that Heritage is the fastest! We have winning race photos to prove it.

Ed Goetz

Sep 1, 2007
the perfect storm

WOW!

I didn't realize how strong some feelings would run. I can see that some of you are as passionate about the GT as I am about hot rods. Actually, I just like building cars so much it is easier for me to be into a car I put together rather than one I just wrote a check for. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate what a great car the GT is. I know, because about 10 years ago I built a replica GT40 and it couldn't hold a candle to the Ford product in any way.

Boy, now I feel like a shumck for selling the GT.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Heritage is the fastest! We have winning race photos to prove it.

Ya! "PHOTO SHOP" PHOTOS!!!

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Actually, I just like building cars so much it is easier for me to be into a car I put together rather than one I just wrote a check for.

'Use to feel the same way, Ed. But, practically speaking, there was just no way I 'figgered' I could build a car that would be able to do everything the GT can do (to say nothing of doing it as well). And even if I COULD - it wouldn't be as unique. Plus, I wouldn't get 10 cents on the dollar if/when the time came to sell it.

Besides - I COULD HAVE THE GT AS FAST AS I COULD WRITE THE CHECK! And yuh just can't beat that kinda "build time"! :lol

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
:lol

You see what all you guys don't know is that I got my info from was our Moderator (Bony) who has a White one. I took that as an admission against interest and from someone who obviously knows what he's talking about.

If nothing else the guy's honest!!!!

Steve: Ok but there obvioiusly not racing RED GTs!!!

LOL

Last edited:

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think if you bozos would kindly check the FORD museum in Dearborn, the RED car is the only one there. Enough said about color.