What do the Forum members think of the Z06

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
This not a Comparison(So Please Don't start one) between the GT and the new 06Z, Because there is no comparison the GT is in a different Universe as far as I'm concerned. lately I have been thinking about buying one just because of all the "Crap" I see in the media about this car. This is a car I would let my friends drive because none of them are ever driving my GT again. I could also take the Z to the track and run the hell out of it in the Quarter as well as drive it in the rain and not care. I think I can buy one for about $5K over MSRP($72K). I think for the Performance money its the best value out there, But its still just a Vette. Just curious as too if anyone has thoughts on this?

Pipelion

Beware the comming of the Blue Devil, I know things I can't say even in a PM. Absolutly true blue things. Things called HP.

It will ROCK. :eek

Pipelion

Still the Ford GT and Carrera GT is for me.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Can't blame you about letting people drive your GT. Most people don't have experience with MR cars...a leadfoot takes place of common sense when it ain't your car.

Concerning the Z06: It's a nice car. I drive by one everyday at the public parking garage :lol ...no seriously I do.

Go get one, do LG headers (and no I don't want to argue about LG :rofl ), a custom grind cam (unless they already have a shelf grind out :confused ) a dyno tune and finally an aftermarket intake when they come out. Then leave the engine alone forever IMO. You'll get mid tens at the track like naptime and have a nice driver on the street.

Plus, there is so much media hype about the C6Z they will probably hold their value a bit better than the C5Z. Although I doubt that matters to you, always helps when you decide to part ways with it.

MK2_GT

GTX1 Owner
Mar 25, 2006
The Z06 is probably the best bang for the buck for any performance car.

I love that car.

50 BMG

Aug 3, 2005
AZ
Pipelion said:
Beware the comming of the Blue Devil, I know things I can't say even in a PM. Absolutly true blue things. Things called HP.

It will ROCK. :eek

Latest I've heard was 700hp on a DOHC 6.0L supercharged.

Unless someone starts doing big time aftermarket stuff for the 7.3L DOHC Mercedes engine, the game is over for everyone if Chevy balls up and seriously puts a 8.5:1 compression 6.0L DOHC in a vette.

Pipelion

I really can't say. I just happen to know factory out the door numbers. Beware the Blue Devil. :eek :eek :eek

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
A ready to run all day at the track production car that can nip at the heels of a Ford GT. What is there not to like? Notorious for depreciating though.
I consider it one of the best substitutes for the GT or as a daily driver.
I have a friend who is an ex race car driver and grew up and is very good friends with Jacque Villeneuve and Patrick Carpantier is the techo geek of the crowd and also knows the developers of the car at GM. He thinks they are cats azzz. When he talks it is as if NASA and the hand of God had a part in the creation of this vehicle. This from an ex professional race car driver and auto techno geek. It comes from factory as a standard option with its own transmission cooler. COOOL.
The shift box still sucks though. But to be honest I've never driven one :slap

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
Pipelion said:
I really can't say. I just happen to know factory out the door numbers. Beware the Blue Devil. :eek :eek :eek
I am hearing the Blue Devil gets the new 615hp LS-9 engine which is a 6.3 liter 32 valve DOHC (not a 16 valve OHV like the current Z06)with direct injection, a supercharger and a higher redline than the current cars 7100rpm. If this is true or the HP # is higher expect to see alot of these Wrecked.

Pipelion

Those figures are PATHETIC,

I'm not going to, can't say no more, leave me alone with this one. Yes I love you butt holes even though I've never even met you. And this info I have had in my noggin for a month
and all the time I've been drolling to say. But I can't it's classified my friend would kill me. I allready told you over and over CRAZY FREAKEN HP NUMBERS.

615 is a joke and total BS. :bs

LAST TIME BEWARE THE BLUE DEVIL :eek :mad :eek :mad :eek :mad

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
50 BMG said:
Latest I've heard was 700hp on a DOHC 6.0L supercharged.

Unless someone starts doing big time aftermarket stuff for the 7.3L DOHC Mercedes engine, the game is over for everyone if Chevy balls up and seriously puts a 8.5:1 compression 6.0L DOHC in a vette.
The Scariest part of the whole deal is GM is Broke,Broke,Broke and they are going to build this 600+HP limited edition Corvette that will MSRP for over $100K How Assinine is that. This why they may not survive, Shouldn't they put there R&D money into something they can mass produce and sell and make big profits on. :willy

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Blue Devil

My only 'potential' complaint is what it'll look like. I personally think that the Z06 missed the boat, and should be more aggressive in appearance. My guess is that the Blue Devil will look like a modified Z06 - boaring!!
Let's face it, the GT is beauty in motion.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
rsilverman said:
My only 'potential' complaint is what it'll look like. I personally think that the Z06 missed the boat, and should be more aggressive in appearance. My guess is that the Blue Devil will look like a modified Z06 - boaring!!
Let's face it, the GT is beauty in motion.
This is OOOOHHHH so True. One thing I do know is Chevy Can't afford to build this Blue Devil on the same assembly line as the rest of the Vettes in a completely different body style.

KJD

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 21, 2005
Location, Location
Agree totally with rsilverman and FORDGT001, the Z06 is just ugly and the Blue Devil exterior is not likely to change significantly. Great performance at twice the price and unlike most, I actually like the interior. But the exterior proportions and details are just wrong. I don't think GM will listen, nearly all of the car rags make the point about the looks, especially the rear clip. And the C-6 is a slight improvement over the C-5, but GM sells all they want so the company's design miscue is remedied by the C-6's other laudable qualities and validated by sales. The Z-06 will likely be a runaway success.

Also agree with White Petunia, the race is on and GTs (stock) may well be middle-of-the-pack performers down the road if the auto builders continue to be creative and innovative. But I still want one and I'll always have one!!! :thumbsup

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
I do Know one thing and that is I drove my GT this morning and came in early because it looked like it was going to rain,This would not be a problem in the Z06.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
Wet Z06

Here's how I feel: Who cares if you get your Z06 wet, or even down right muddy, it's just a Vette on 'roids.
Your GT, now that's another story, you want to keep her nice and clean!

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I had a C-5 Z-06 and it was a fun car. I had to have it re-ringed under warranty as it burned over a quart every 500 miles. It then only burned a quart every 1200 miles. There was a problem with piston slap at low operating temps. The new 427 motor is hand made and hopefully doesn't have this problem. I pushed the Z-06 harder than I'm tempted to push the GT, since it had TC and Active Handling features. After awhile, I "fell out of love" with it and didn't mind it getting wet and dirty from daily use. It's a "plastic car" and they're a dime a dozen on the road.
I looked at the new Z-06 and the interior didn't impress me..too much plastic. The front end has a Viper-like look to it and the restyled rear end didn't do anything for me either. So, I traded in my oil burner (now 50% depreciated after 4.5 yrs of ownership), and bought something that costs 2X, but is a true icon. If a "Blue Devil" Z-06 comes out, I'd be tempted to go back and look at it from the performance/value perspective. I'd be more prone to thrash it on the track or in day to day use.

FORDGT001

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2005
ByeEnzo said:
I had a C-5 Z-06 and it was a fun car. I had to have it re-ringed under warranty as it burned over a quart every 500 miles. It then only burned a quart every 1200 miles. There was a problem with piston slap at low operating temps. The new 427 motor is hand made and hopefully doesn't have this problem. I pushed the Z-06 harder than I'm tempted to push the GT, since it had TC and Active Handling features. After awhile, I "fell out of love" with it and didn't mind it getting wet and dirty from daily use. It's a "plastic car" and they're a dime a dozen on the road.
I looked at the new Z-06 and the interior didn't impress me..too much plastic. The front end has a Viper-like look to it and the restyled rear end didn't do anything for me either. So, I traded in my oil burner (now 50% depreciated after 4.5 yrs of ownership), and bought something that costs 2X, but is a true icon. If a "Blue Devil" Z-06 comes out, I'd be tempted to go back and look at it from the performance/value perspective. I'd be more prone to thrash it on the track or in day to day use.
Keep in mind if they build this Super Vette it will be priced over $100K and rest assured depending on availability it will be Marked up another $100K. So the value for the dollar will Decrease Substantially, Keep in mind it will still look like a Vette and not a Exotic(GT).

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
FORDGT001 said:
The Scariest part of the whole deal is GM is Broke,Broke,Broke and they are going to build this 600+HP limited edition Corvette that will MSRP for over $100K How Assinine is that. This why they may not survive, Shouldn't they put there R&D money into something they can mass produce and sell and make big profits on. :willy

Didn't Ford do a similar type of scenario with the GT?

Dave

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
rsilverman said:
My only 'potential' complaint is what it'll look like. I personally think that the Z06 missed the boat

Yup. I had a deposit on the C6 Z06 at the dealer I bought my C5 Z06 at for a year. When I finally saw the C6 Z, I cancelled it. The Vette is a great value for the money and is a world class sports car, but I feel like I've been there/done that enough. And if you ever feel like getting back into it, there'll always be another. Odd as it is, even seeing a car like an 03 Cobra seems like more of an "event" to me because I see dozens of Vettes every day.