What did Ford gain by building the FGT?

Aug 25, 2006
Certainly I agree with the fact that the timing associated with the 40th anniversary played a huge role in the production of these gals. Then add to this I have to believe that a greater marketing value was anticipated however I think that the later was lost as the result of so many dealers never truly wrapping their arms around the gals. As is the case today far too many dealers know nothing of them and even sadder is the fact that many dealers simply want nothing to do with them. The gals are a bit too far out of the proverbial box for them when they consider the associated risk if they work/service them this largely (based on what I have heard) the lack of initial and subsequent factory support.

So if asked why Ford produced the GT; I would say because they could during a time when many folks simply shook their heads saying no way in heck.

In the end the fact that they created these masterpieces and my having one in my stable is reason enough for me and furthermore likely reason enough for me to consider another Ford in the future; which for me is huge as I had not owned a Ford for well over 30 years.

Takes care

Shadowman

dikran

GT Owner
Aug 11, 2006
Birmingham, MI
I've driven my FGT around my small town for just over 2 years and it still turns heads and makes people ask the most common question, Who made that car?" And when I proudly say Ford most furlow their eyebrows and stare at me. Its an amazing car, and it will be for many years. Ford has free publicity for years to come. Although I doubt they thought about it that way when they built it, I am sure it will come as a result of this great car.

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY
Well, I will agree with some of you, Ford also won me over with the Ford GT. It is only the second Ford I have ever owned. The first one was a 1956 Ford Victoria that my dad gave me on my 16th birthday. That was 1966, and I didn't want the car (stupid me, but those were the sixties, and anything British was cool, still is for the most part). I wanted a small British sports car of some kind. So, that's what I drove for the next forty years (except for about 10 Corvettes and a few Porsches). Then the FGT came along. I lusted for a year. I finally, against all good financial sense, sold a couple of cars and bought one. Maybe the last car I ever buy? Don't know. But it had an effect on me. Maybe that's what Ford gained by building it, many of us are back home now. (Now if we can just work out some of the little gremlins!)

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Well, I will agree with some of you, Ford also won me over with the Ford GT. It is only the second Ford I have ever owned. The first one was a 1956 Ford Victoria that my dad gave me on my 16th birthday. That was 1966, and I didn't want the car (stupid me, but those were the sixties, and anything British was cool, still is for the most part). I wanted a small British sports car of some kind. So, that's what I drove for the next forty years (except for about 10 Corvettes and a few Porsches). Then the FGT came along. I lusted for a year. I finally, against all good financial sense, sold a couple of cars and bought one. Maybe the last car I ever buy? Don't know. But it had an effect on me. Maybe that's what Ford gained by building it, many of us are back home now. (Now if we can just work out some of the little gremlins!)

Ok I know that I am going to get smacked here but Roger in essence your anglophile lust got fulfilled in this generation Gt also. I like you have been a british car nut most of my life. But the pull of the big block american motor is huge. looking at the list of cars that I was nuts about as a kid you'd find Lotus, MG, Aston Martin, AC (yes as in cobra), then GT-40.

Ford tried to bring back some "heritage" in these cars .... but I feel that marketing botched it .... or maybe Bill just could not quite get it right ... Ford needed to get back into racing in a big way around this car to bring everything back to pull ... and I am not talking nascar here. But in prototypes ... put something factory in American Lemans.

But I think the bean counters .... shot that down and Bill didn't have the brains, guts, or well you know to fight the board. The original Gt-40 was about pure BALLS..... screw you ferrari .. if you won't sell me your company then I will run you over on the race track ... and they did. The same reason that the russians never invaded europe was because some crazy american was there to blow the crap out of them. Come to my yard and I'll kick the crap out you. That kind of american in your face attitude... is long ago dead ... killed by the political correctness crew ...sensitivity training .... management by committee... (I need that puke icon here). We lost our collective balls about the same time as "we need a village to raise a child" .... If she gets elected I am moving to someplace that has brains .... but I digress.

What Ford tried to do could not be done without someone like the old guys. They built an awesome car which fortunately for me I was able to get my hands on this time. Probably the last great american sports car to be built ... not knocking saleen here .... just not the same focus or vision.... no romance and at the end of the day that is what this car calls back to .... a bit of romance and a bit of innocence ... and a lot of balls. Thanks Camillo for bringing a taste of that art ...into this sanitized gelded world.:thumbsup

Last edited:

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Ford gained respect from the automotive community. I've never seen people turn their back on Ferrari and Lamborghini and say "I'd rather have a Ford GT". Lets hope we will be blessed with another Ford GT in the coming years.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ok I know that I am going to get smacked here but Roger in essence your anglophile lust got fulfilled in this generation Gt also. I like you have been a british car nut most of my life. But the pull of the big block american motor is huge. looking at the list of cars that I was nuts about as a kid you'd find Lotus, MG, Aston Martin, AC (yes as in cobra), then GT-40.

Ford tried to bring back some "heritage" in these cars .... but I feel that marketing botched it .... or maybe Bill just could not quite get it right ... Ford needed to get back into racing in a big way around this car to bring everything back to pull ... and I am not talking nascar here. But in prototypes ... put something factory in American Lemans.

But I think the bean counters .... shot that down and Bill didn't have the brains, guts, or well you know to fight the board. The original Gt-40 was about pure BALLS..... screw you ferrari .. if you won't sell me your company then I will run you over on the race track ... and they did. The same reason that the russians never invaded europe was because some crazy american was there to blow the crap out of them. Come to my yard and I'll kick the crap out you. That kind of american in your face attitude... is long ago dead ... killed by the political correctness crew ...sensitivity training .... management by committee... (I need that puke icon here). We lost our collective balls about the same time as "we need a village to raise a child" .... If she gets elected I am moving to someplace that has brains .... but I digress.

What Ford tried to do could not be done without someone like the old guys. They built an awesome car which fortunately for me I was able to get my hands on this time. Probably the last great american sports car to be built ... not knocking saleen here .... just not the same focus or vision.... no romance and at the end of the day that is what this car calls back to .... a bit of romance and a bit of innocence ... and a lot of balls. Thanks Camillo for bringing a taste of that art ...into this sanitized gelded world.:thumbsup

Wow, you got that right Steve!!

Sponsored by Royal Purple :wink

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Wow, you got that right Steve!!

Sponsored by Royal Purple :wink

all the world is a smart A$$ ... actually my RP endorsement contract ended when Indygt got me for plugging sam's club :lol

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Ford gained respect from the automotive community. I've never seen people turn their back on Ferrari and Lamborghini and say "I'd rather have a Ford GT". Lets hope we will be blessed with another Ford GT in the coming years.

Come to the Rally and you'll meet one. :thumbsup

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
We need more of this.....

With a little luck and a lot of money these guys have the knowhow. One win with more to come.......GO BLU :thumbsup

Attachments

• Pace Car.jpg
    Pace Car.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 96

Roger Vincent

GT Owner
May 31, 2006
Bowling Green, KY

Well done Steve. Well done. No need for smacking as far as I am concerned.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Been a Ford guy since I started driving (1970) and have owned many Fords during that time (mostly 1970) Mustangs. I have wanted a FGT since 1967 never thought it would be possible, but fast forward to 2004 and Ford is producing the GT again! Well I had to have one - even if it meant selling my beloved 1970 grabber orange BOSS 429 to make room in the garage. I still have to pinch myself every time I walk into the garage and see it setting there. I also hope Ford will produce the FORD 49 - I would put money tomorrow. In my mind Ford has to get back to producing cars like these - even if you want to call it retro style. Copying Japanese jelly bean designs will not win Ford any customers - IMHO.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
4038 High Net Worth Customers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I've never seen people turn their back on Ferrari and Lamborghini and say "I'd rather have a Ford GT".

I did.

Before it was announced Ford was going to build the GT, I was trying to decide between the Gallardo & an F430 (well, to be technical, it was the "360" then). The instant Ford announced they were building the GT - GAME OVER.

( When I saw the GT's performance specs a short while later, the decision was absolutely irrevokable.)

Last edited:

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I did.

Before it was announced Ford was going to build the GT, I was trying to decide between the Gallardo & an F430. The instant Ford announced they were building the GT - GAME OVER.

( When I saw the GT's preformance specs a short while later, the decision was absolutely irrevokable.)

+1

I had a down payment on a F360 spyder..
FGT ......."GAME OVER" :banana :banana

I love the preformance of this car ..............but........I love the profile MORE !

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I also hope Ford will produce the FORD 49 - I would put money tomorrow. In my mind Ford has to get back to producing cars like these - even if you want to call it retro style..

Yes! Yes! Yes!!! :banana :banana :banana
You couldn't be more "right on" if you were triplets, Ed.:thumbsup
Like I stated on another thread, I'd scuttle my M3 order in a heartbeat for a "Forty-Nine" (if the bean counters stay away from it).

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Before it was announced Ford was going to build the GT, I was trying to decide between the Gallardo & an F430 (well, to be technical, it was the "360" then). The instant Ford announced they were building the GT - GAME OVER.

I was in exact same boat....

ALWAYS thought I would go Lambo or Ferrari.... the snouty/reptillian looks of current Ferrari turned me off (not to mention waiting list and $50k+ premium to MSRP), the Lambo was to snub nosed and angular...like a waif model not Racquel Welch-GTish

-Viper, 911 Turbo, SL600, Aston were all fine...but not supercars.

-Besides these you are in yuppie-sports car land below $100k and above $300K it become ridicluous with SLR, Carrera GT, Murci which are actually $$$=weekend homes in a lot of places.

-Really, a true car guy has like 2-3 choices these days.

-By mistake, I was trying to get to the Viper website, and a Ford GT banner appeared (I think it was for a car stereo or wheels site) and it was all over....within 10 days had a deposit and 21 days this 550hp beast was snarling around my carport.......

I am usually very level headed, deliberate, and converative.....but, once i got details that production was ending in August, stock wheels were rare, I have never bought a new car....... I just pulled that trigger!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Just a couple things -

I agree that they should have raced the GT, but it could have never happened. If you're going to get into racing at Le Mans, and more specifically if you're going to get into racing at Le Mans with a Ford GT, you have to win. Literally. There is no way Ford could or would enter the car with anything but the expectation of a first place finish.

Doing that with a clean sheet 15 month *street* car that sports a supercharged modular 5.4 and a fuel tank that runs down the middle of the car would have necessitated pretty much using the aluminum spaceframe only. And they'd be jumping into a situation where they'd compete with Chevrolet who spends $60 million dollars a year on the C6R program because it's co-developed with the street car. They've been hand in hand since the birth of the C5 which was gestating a decade before anyone even thought of building a GT. There was no symbiotic relationship for the GT to take advantage of. Let's face it, the mod motor for all it's technological glory, sucks as a race piece. It's huge, barely revs even though it's DOHC, weighs a ton, and doesn't make power unless you stuff a twin screw on it. For my street car, I effing love it. But for a race car? No dice.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
DBK;79040 Let's face it said:
True on all points. But maybe a race program would bring something back home to roost. Point is .... it comes down to finance. Ford is and was low on cash. From a purely personal ... albeit semi-professional stand point, Ford needs to jockey around the mix of vehicles here in the states... they make an awesome car in the Mondeo .... never be seen here .... should be ...but not for the us market. That is a large part of the problem ... get back into focus. Take the best of what you do and market the piss out of it. toss the rest.

The GT showed what a couple of Ford guys could do when they are motivated ... God bless all you guys in the GT program. You did a hell of a job! ... management should be looking around at their talent pool and be asking what's next? Build and market something with passion. ... in every category. I hear people mumble that x car ... no one can be passionate about those. Thats crap .... just look at SEMA .... you can be passionate about anything ... it just takes a bit of imagination and lust.

Remember that anyone who buys a KR Mustang now is basically buying what started out as a "secretary's" car. Don't look at where you have been look at where you are going and bust your ass to get there. Am I back at the balls thing again?

Ok I am off my soapbox for the day...... :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
They definitely need to get off the "8 cars for 8 markets program". It's crazy. Part of the problem is that American's don't buy what they say they will. They brought the Contour over when the Mondeo was still the best selling car in Europe and it flopped while everyone bought Explorers and F-150s. Nonetheless, mark my words, you WILL see Ford developing cars on global platforms and shrinking the number of platforms in the immediate future.

The design of the vehicles in Europe is fantastic. Euro Focus, Mondeo, S-Max...these cars should be here ASAP. I don't get having two wildly different design aesthetics for two different markets. A car is either good looking or it's not, no? An awesome Focus ST in the UK is an awesome Focus in the U.S. Problem is they can't take the hit from the capital depreciation without going bankrupt if they just tossed all the other stuff out tomorrow.

p.s, these notions are tempered by the fact that crazy European regulations mated with the insanity going on in our own country right now are going to make it ever harder to build anything a) cool or b) coherent. By 2020 the auto companies will be up to their eyeballs in so many regulations, from euro vs. U.S safety to emissions decided on a state-to-state basis to federally mandated fuel mileage requirements, that nobody can guess what'll happen...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
read today's wsj interview with the ceo