What are the little black dots on the wheels?

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
I've had quite a few new cars and trucks but have never seen these dots. What are they? Thanks ...

IMG_20200830_202102a.jpg

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
That is the balance point for the wheel. The tires have similar spots on them when new. Match them up and then balance the tire/wheel combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: extrap

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Ah, so is the black dot on the wheel the heavy spot, and the dot on the tire the lightest spot? So when you line them up they should be almost balanced?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I believe so. There is an old thread about it here on the forum somewhere.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Yes the high or heavy spot as you call it.
gtjoey1314

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Just had new wheels shod and I removed the little balance black dots after I mounted the wheel and tire set.

extrap

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 16, 2020
Gainesville FL
Just had new wheels shod and I removed the little balance black dots after I mounted the wheel and tire set.

Hmm, could there be a day you wish they were still there? Or does the tire place just mount and balance without them, no big deal?

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
They come new from the factory like that. Unnecessary to use them when new tires are fitted.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
they tend to wash off if you use water.. I try to have them aligned if they are still there. But in reality, it just doesnt matter.. Maybe more lead inside the wheel.. YMMV..

DanQ

GT Owner
Aug 18, 2005
Lake Zurich, IL
I thought it was interesting, you can use them to track if the tire is spinning on the wheel.